Would you buy a dex receiver off eBay?

I would guess the warranty wouldn't be good on one you bought from someone else on ebay. And with an active kid, we are on our third or fourth receiver in 2 years. Yes I do think the money is in the sensors, not the receivers.
ALSO, I just checked on ebay and the one I can see looks like it is not the updated Dexcom Seven Plus - but the older Dexcom Seven. There apparently is a significant difference in accuracy from what I think I've heard. The Seven Plus came out in 2008, and I don't even know if you could get the rest of what you needed for the Seven if you bought it.
Here's a link to someone else's review of the older model . . . Here

. It includes some other links. The reason I think the ebay one is the old one is because the transmitter in the picture is black. The newer model has a grey transmitter.

I think the receiver may be reusealbe, but the transmitter dies. Be careful!

It is my understanding that the warranty is one year.

I agree with Natasha about the difference in accuracy bt the seven plus and the former receiver.

I may be selling my Dexcom G5 receiver that I just got. I didn’t even want it since I use my Iphone, but they said I had to order the first one at $1203 with my initial order. Such a rip off.

I buy strips on eBay. They jibe with A1c numbers.

That’s interesting. When we first upgraded to G5, we had a very different conversation with Dexcom about the receiver. We asked for a new one, but were discouraged against it. But that was an upgrade, not a new purchase, so a different situation. I will say although we haven’t used the receiver for months since my son’s died, I am anxious for the next generation to be released so we have a backup for traveling. That’s the only situation where I miss it. Long days without guaranteed access to charging the phone and being in airplane mode make me nervous just using the app. You might want to hang on to it for those types of situations!

This is a reminder that we do not allow “the exchange, sale or giveaway of items that require a prescription” in our Terms of Service. There is a basic reason we do not allow this. It is illegal. Even eBay prohibits the sale of these items. It is also important to understand that the sale of items that have been paid for by insurance further exposes one to charges of fraud.

We would urge you to follow laws and be careful about the consequences of exchange, sale or gifting of prescription items.

A dexcom receiver doesn’t require a prescription. The users insurance requires it to be prescribed in order for them to pay for it, just like test strips…

Neither actually requires a prescription though … there’s a difference. They are not ‘prescription items’ You can call dexcom and purchase a receiver without a prescription with cash if you can afford it-- similarly, it is not inappropriate to purchase one for a substantial discount on eBay and I wouldnt hesitate to do so…

That is my understanding as well. That said, I did sell my G4 receiver on eBay when I got my G5. It sold in one day, but after the fact eBay did remove the listing of the sale and admonished me for selling a prescription item.

After just going through this same scenario (bought a receiver elsewhere), understand that Dexcom WILL NOT warranty the receiver for any reason, and WILL NOT sell you supplies, and will refer you back to your DR if you have any difficulties, even if you have a valid RX at Dexcom until you have been prescribed and issued a receiver. For those undergoing upgrades the process is very different. Because the receiver is an RX only item (burnished into the back of the receiver, so it’s not an insurance issue), except for a few states it is illegal to transfer it. That said, I found that since I am buying supplies off the street, the G4 was the best model for me. The transmitters work longer 6-9 months vs 3 month 3 weeks 3 days of the G5. The only way around these limitations (it’s a software issue in the receiver) is to use Xdrip or Xdrip+ and plan on replacing the transmitter batteries yourself. Sensors are readily available on Craigslist, EBay, Amazon, LetGo, and OfferUp - prices and use by dates vary. Best of luck to you in your quest.

Please don’t provide inaccurate information. According to Dexcom:

Q: Do I need a prescription to obtain Dexcom G5 Mobile?

Yes, the Dexcom G5 Mobile system requires a prescription from your health care provider.

This topic has been closed because the conversation has veered in a direction in opposition to our core values, specifically that we are here to foster a positive environment where we encourage each other, and our communications should remain respectful.

Please refer to The Values of TuDiabetes if you would like more clarification.