Xultophy gives flu?

Hi, i have been put on Xultophy couple weeks ago along with my old Metformin. 3 days later i started on it, i got sick with flu like symptoms - fever, fatigue, nausea/vomiting and coughing.

I haven’t been eating much and only today i have my first 2 TBsp of brown rice with my favorite dish.

I have got rashes appearing near the crease of my thighs to body. It’s not severe but it’s new.

It’s been the holiday season and Dr. office is closed. I checked with pharmacy but this drug is so new that i am actually their first patient they dispensed. After browsing this group discussion a bit, i have a feeling the flu like symptoms could be a common side effect of Xultophy? Anyone has the same experience as me?

I am pretty skinny and i thinking i am down 3lbs already to 90lbs.

I am feeling ok today (eating at least), but last night i had fever again. I have had fever on and off for the past 2.5 weeks.

Mel

Xultophy combines long-acting basal insulin Tresiba with the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist (GLP1-RA)1 therapy Victoza in a single, once-daily injection.

The symptoms you are experiencing appear to be related to the Victoza component of this medication. Some of the known side effects of Victoza are:

• Nausea, diarrhea, or constipation.
  • Heartburn.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Headache.
  • Runny nose, sneezing, or cough.
  • Fatigue.
  • Rash or redness at the injection site.
  • Difficulty urinating or painful urination.

These side effect are most intense in the beginning stages of treatment and in most cases will go away after a while. In some rare cases treatment must be stopped due to continued side effects.

When starting Victoza as a stand alone therapy it is usually introduced in increasing stages to allow your body to adjust to the medication. I am wondering how it was introduced as part of this combination drug.

I was put on 10 units to start but I started myself on 6 units and got a low 2.9 that night. Since then I have been on 5 units and my fasting has been consistently well around 5.

They stop my junavia and glacaxide but kept me on my 4 pills of metformin.

I am going to waste of lot of xultophy as it expires after 21 days after first use. With 5 units a day, i will only use 105unit out of the 300units in a pen.

Mel

I have not taken this medication but I did take the Victoza part of it at one time.

If my math is correct 5 units should provide you with 0.18 mg of Victoza, this is a very small amount, well below the starting dose for Victoza of 0.6 mg.

While it is possible that Xultophy is the culprit I believe it is unlikely at this low of a dose. Is it possible that you actually have/had a virus.

When your symptoms clear up and you are able to eat again you may find that you will be needing to increase you dose of Xultophy, as you do be prepared because with each increase the chances of nausea increases.

Please also keep in mind the insulin component of this drug. Insulin is the strongest blood glucose lowering drug out there, you must keep a close watch on you blood glucose levels.

Do mean like insulin “expires” in a month, after removal from refrigeration? :slight_smile: I’ve used insulin over the last 40 years (almost to the month) that’s been out of the fridge well past 3 months. It still works fine. Having said that, I know nothing about xultophy and am just wondering out loud if the 21 day “thing” is a remotely legitimate concern.

I copied this from their website:

Once I begin using a Xultophy® 100/3.6 Pen, how long can I use the same pen?Close

Once in use, the Xultophy® 100/3.6 Pen can be stored at room temperature (59ºF-86ºF) or in a refrigerator at 36ºF to 46ºF for up to 21 days.

Seems to leave no wiggle room but to me just doesn’t look right.

Thank you for your response. I am still not eating at all, food just won’t go down and no appetite. But I will keep in mind on what you said as i make it into my 3rd week of Xultophy.

Gary, you know that all those expiration periods are bogus! I mean, cmon, even sets, reservoirs, nearly anything medical, has an expiration date. It’s required. They don’t follow reality; they follow rules.

I’ve seen glucose tablets with an expiration date. Really? Sugar goes bad?

1 Like

yeah I know

:slight_smile: Notice I didn’t question your knowing. I made it a statement of fact. :slight_smile:

This long lasting xultophy is supposed to work 24 hrs. So far my 2 hr after meal for lunch and dinner is still terrible (13-15) when I do eat but no more than 2 servings of carbs.

I take xultophy at night before bed. Will changing it to morning makes a difference? I do still want good fasting reading tough.