Yeah, I've got the Beets, so what?

Hi Everyone!

Although I’m new to this site, I’m not new to blogging. Blogging is a great outlet for me to express my feelings about diabetes, or as I like to call it, The Beets. Plus, I like to pretend that I’m a great writer and that millions of people will benefit from my sometimes sarcastic, maybe humorous ramblings. I hope you enjoy reading my stories and feel free to comment or contact me!

My name is Erin. I am 25 (almost 26, yikes!) years old. I’m a graphic designer, but I have so many dream jobs, I can’t even count them. I have a great family and enjoy spending time with them, all of them. I love traveling, television, and shopping. I like reading celebrity garbage, singing to my steering wheel, and stormy weather. I don’t like Cool Ranch Doritos, “angry music”, or cluttery messes . Oh yeah, and I have Diabetes.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 2006, right after I turned 21. It wasn’t really a huge shock to me. I’ve always been a hypochondriac… I thought for sure I had Diabetes in high school. So in the summer of 2006, when my mom mentioned I looked like I had been losing weight, I thought, well that can’t be right when my breakfast consisted of a McDonald’s #3, my lunch, an Applebee’s Fried Chicken Salad, and dinner, a burrito the size of my head from Qdoba. And somehow I managed to lose a pound a day. I was also going to the bathroom… a lot. I never had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but I was getting up two or three times. And I was so thirsty! Drinking beverages like it was going out of style.

Well, I got in contact with a good, old friend… www.webmd.com. I typed my symptoms into the search engine and the first thing that popped up was Diabetes. Well, of course, that meant for sure that I had it. (This is how my relationship with webmd works.) So after convincing my friends and family, I went to the doctor. I told him I was losing weight without trying. (I never go to the doctor and tell him what I think I have because I don’t want him to think I’m smarter than him.) He never mentioned Diabetes. He thought it might be a thyroid problem. As he was walking out the door to get my labs set up, I said, “Oh, and I’ve been thirsty and going to the bathroom a lot, too.” It’s like the lightbulb went off in his head, “Oh, and we’re going to test your blood sugar, too.” I kind of smiled to myself, like, yeah, I knew it…

So now I’ve got the Beets. But I also have a life. Since my diagnosis, I’ve changed a lot, gone through a lot, and I’m no longer eating McDonald’s #3’s for breakfast… I’ve switched to #9 :wink:

I hope you’ll come back to learn more about me and my life with Type 1 Beets.

So I hate beets, the vegetable kind, and Beets, the dia- kind! I reallly knew I had it before I was diagnosed, too, but I was in DEEP denial, and with slow onset, it’s easy to be in denial for a rather long time. But here I am, at 20 years, and it hasn’t got me yet, although it’s tried REALLY hard (with my help).

Looking forward to hearing more from you! :slight_smile: