Yep, it was my fault

Over the past few weeks, I’ve really been working on fine-tuning my pump settings. Adjusting sensitivity, ratios and basal rates. As such, I was expecting to have some days where my numbers would be all jacked up. And sure enough, there were some. Yesterday was such a day and as I was watching my son’s football game I suddenly asked myself “How long has this damn infusion set been in anyway?”

I checked my pump and it had been in for 5 frak’n days. When I realized that, a whole bunch of things clicked into place. I had been having these highs when I was getting down towards the end of my reservoir. My reservoirs had been lasting longer than I was used to because I’m taking less insulin now than just a couple of months ago. So lesson learned: only put 3 days worth of insulin in my pump!

Sometimes we will have WTF days where numbers just won’t be “right”, but I had become too focused on what had been happening today and the past week. Every once in a while, I need to step back and look at numbers for the past few weeks. I did that after I got home and changed sets and the pattern jumped out and hit me right between the eyes. Every 4 to 5 days for the past 3 weeks. Every 4 to 5 days after I had put in a new set. I knew something was out of whack, but I wasn’t looking at a big enough picture to see the trend.

Besides that recent discovery, things still are going pretty well. The Symlin continues to help me loose weight, down almost 30 pounds in the last 6 months. This has also helped reduce the insulin resistance I have, I now take 60mcg with breakfast and lunch then either 60 or 120mcg with dinner (depends on how many carbs), whereas I was on 120mcg with every meal a couple of months ago.

My basal rate currently comprises about 43% of my daily insulin, down from about 50% a couple of months ago. I still have a bit of trouble with numbers 3 to 4 hours after dinner being high, I been experimenting with square waves, so maybe I can get those settled down as well. My next endo visit is in a few weeks, we’ll see what the numbers say.

Thanks for stopping by
Scott

Today’s snarky comment: I don’t need Wikipedia. My kids know everything.

Great news on the progress with weight loss & insulin resistance. That is the best news! I also only put in what I need insulin wise into the reservoir. I have never been able to get more than 3.5 days out of a site. I tested this when I started pumping last year. Here is hoping that square waves do the trick. I have that issue after lunch so I may need to do some playing with bolus types too.

Oy, at least you figured it out yourself! No way I can get it right all the time. Sometimes I forget to bolus. My Lantus dose is often 1-2 hours late.

So how was the game? Did they win?

hey, don’t blame yourself for not always being focused on it. we always want to fault ourselves for things that don’t go perfectly. sounds like you are pretty much on top of it though. Oh… i want to ask you about the Symlin too. docs suggested it for me but never prescribed it. i may need to bring it back up to them. any side effects? it actually works for you?

The Symlin has worked very well for me. It was not unusual for me to be above 250 at 2 hours post-meal. Using Symlin, I am rarely above 150. The biggest issue I’ve had with it is nausea. It makes me start to feel full in about 15 minutes and if I have eaten too much (volume-wise, not carb-wise), I will get sick. Basically, this makes me eat less which, combined with eating less carbs in general, leads to the weightloss.

As my resistance has lowered, my Symlin requirements have lowered as well, in the last week I have stopped taking it with breakfast or lunch and am using the 60mcg dose at dinner as opposed to the 120mcg. I need to talk to my endo about getting the lower dosage pens as I expect my dosage requirements to continue to decrease. Too much Symlin will cause me to have a severe hypoglycemic event, so you have to be careful getting started on it.

Check out the Symlin Users Forum and Jason’s blogs for some really good info

thanks for the info!