Yes or No: cured in your lifetime?

No, hopefully for future generations, within next 100 years.

I believe several “high-potential” therapies that have the potential to “cure” Type 1 diabetes have already been found. The biotech startups that developed them sold the intellectual property and patents to large corporations with a vested interest in selling diabetes supplies and providing medical services. Reseachers, Endocronologists who specialize in diabetes, Big Pharma, and supply manufactures all have no incentive to develop an actual cure, and are proactively preventing cures from being developed.

1 Like

Bingo!

No.

Yes, if the complications don’t get me first.

I admit I didn’t read all the replies, but the naysayers seem in agreement that it will never happen because it doesn’t benefit Big Pharma. Except, that’s not how capitalism works. There is no one single corporation calling the shots. In fact, they’re all in competition with one another to secure the most amount of patrons. So while current companies that are invested in selling us supplies likely won’t want to develop a cure, there are and will be other companies in the future that invest in the cure instead of the treatment and will be aiming to steal all that business from Medtronic, Tandem, Animas, Insolet, Sooil, Novo Nordisk, Eli Lily, Sanofi, B-D, Lifescan, ReliOn, Roche, Ascentia, Abbott, Bayer, Edgepark, Byram Healthcare, and literally hundreds more… That is a LOT of financial motivation for the first group brilliant enough to engineer a cure, and with enough cajones to resist selling out to any one of the big pharmas. We’re talking about monopolizing on an approximately 80 BILLION dollar market. And if you’re the one with the magic pill (of course it won’t be a pill), it doesn’t matter if you bankrupt the rest… That’s capitalism.

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy to keep us paying. The technology just isn’t there yet. The amazing thing is, though, technologies are evolving at an exponential rate. It will come, eventually.

I don’t think it’s going to come from big pharma. Graduate students are required to research an original thesis. This is one of the few examples of pure-er scientific research left nowadays because they don’t have outside funding sources influencing the research. These kids have to push boundaries because it’s hard to find original topics anymore! The little advances these guys make, further developed by ingenious, passionate doctors with more experience… and a bigger bankroll, is where the innovations will take place.

I think it will be a lot of fun to watch all the intermediary stepping stones roll out.

1 Like

Hello Frank,

So that’s a no -wg- ?

A cure would need to do two things. 1. allow islets of Langerhans to produce insulin, and 2. fix the autoimmume portion that kills those cells.

Nope. Not in my lifetime.