Yes or No: cured in your lifetime?

Sadly, there already is a "cure" or at least a repair. I met the guy who is doing pancreatic transplants. Successfully. But they aren't approved on healthy diabetics, only if you're on your last legs. Kind of pisses me off. That may be the only cure. Then the pharmaceutical companies can keep making money off the transplant drugs, I guess.
No (in my lifetime)
Yes (in 50 years)

yes

No I dont think so but I do think we may see a closed loop system within my lifetime. When I was diagnosed my mum was given glass syringes and BG monitors weren't widely available (and I'm not that old!!!!) and now I'm sat here with a matchbox sized pump tucked in my pocket which is giving me a tiny amount of insulin every 3 minutes tailored to my physiology- amazing! the veo (I think) can shut itself off when the integrated CGMS detects a hypo- major step forward so I'm hopeful

No.

I wish. With every part of me, I wish.

But no, I don't believe it's going to happen.

I'm 25 years old. I was diagnosed with Type One Diabetes when I was 2 years old (so I've been a diabetic now for 23 years) do I think in my lifetime there will be a cure for Diabetes? My answer would be NO!!!

I've always thought that there would never be a cure in my lifetime because the government and insurance companies make to much money off of us. We have to pay for our doctors visits, infusions, reserviors, insulin pumps, insulin, strips, machines, etc. I would like to think there will be a cure, THAT WOULD BE GREAT but don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.

Hi Jessica,

I'm Ken and I have tasted the cure. In 2000 I underwent two Islet Cell Transplants and was off insulin for two years. I was one of the first humans ever transplanted and it did work. Today there have been many strides made by the Diabetes Research Institute where I was transplanted. You are only 25 and I can guarantee there will be a cure in your lifetime. Don't listen to the nonsense about large companies fighting the cure. There are millions of dollars donated each year just to find a cure for type 1 diabetes. The large Pharma's have had great profits from diabetes as did the makers of iron lungs before the cure for polio was discovered. These companies survive cause they go where the money is. Keep the faith, your day WILL come.

Are you back on insulin?!

Two years after my transplants I came down with life threatening pneumonia and the team made me go off the transplant drugs and I lost most of my islets. So I am back on insulin.

Check out this story....http://www.diabetesresearch.org/page.aspx?pid=1592

and also look up Jill Eastman Diabetes Research Institute.

Ken

I have heard about people having transplants and being on transplant drugs either for the rest of their lives or at least while the new organ is surviving and I question why this is considered a cure? To me it is more of a trade, you trade insulin for transplant drugs. I don't see the benefit. I want an actual cure, so I can walk away from all drugs once and for all.

Casey,

The new protocols call for encapsulating the islets and attaching the drugs to the encapsulation so the drug does not go through the mouth and is not toxic to the transplant patient.

Please go the Diabetes Research Institute website and look at the new BioHub. It is amazing and I hope I can be one of the first in a human trial.

By the way I was in the trial at City of Hope who discovered human insulin. I was allergic to pig and pork insulin.

Lets hope the Bio Hub hits the home run.

The other cure focus is being able to manufacturing islets in mass using our DNA and a foreign embryo. Keep up the good vibes the cure is around the corner and not five years away!

Ken Bernstein

Under the current paradigm, I also say "no". The diabecell, sernova cell pouch, and now the biohub that we're all supposed to get excited about, have already shown that there is already an answer to this nightmare and unfortunately, we can't have it.

how is the autoimmune response turned off?

No. Considering all the medical breakthroughs that have already been found, if there would be a cure for diabetes, it must've been discovered way, way before.

I was told in 1982 that the cure would happen by the turn of the century. Thirteen years later, and I'm still waiting. Pharmaceutical companies would go under without our monthly contributions.

I agree with Stuart. NO.

-Alex

I tend to take a pessimistic view of things, so no.
If there is, however, I’ll be pleasantly surprised

NO.
Type 1's are 5% of US population,less globally. Most med resources are being applied to Type 2 meds as,"that is where the market $$'s are." Ever wonder why our insulins cost about $170 for 10ml? Seriously. Whatever investments where made on the automated genetic line have long been paid down. After all, its only an 80+ year old medicine that B&B (Canadians) gave the patent away for free. Where the heck is GENERIC insulin Ms. Sibelius? Why are the current BOD's in Indianapolis, or Paris,(I understand the French), allowed to rape us?

Politically it is a DEAD issue, despite the blather in ADA publications. Lilly and Sanofi are BIG advertisers to that mag. Can't bite the hand that feeds. Not even sure why they advertise, no competition.

NO. There is No incentive to 'find' a cure. No cure in sight, and if you think transplants will work, again Obamacare (Affordable Health Care per Ms. Pelosi) will NEVER fund that exorbitant ($200K) cost and rejection maintenance program.

Considering that I'm 23 and I hope to live at least another 60 - 65 years, I'll say yes. I have found enough promising cures that are almost ready for clinical trials.

Thanks Ken, Would you please share with us what you estimate, in round figures, the total cost of the multi-transplant surgeries and post care? $350K? And that's 2000 year economics. The Am.Affordable HCA likely will never fund this as it would be 'elective' surgery. AAHCA will fund a lot of weird things, but not this. Heck, most private insurers, as BCBS policies, would likely have an issue. How were you able to afford? If by insurance, how much did the insurer cover?

The cost facts in your circumstance (or anyone else) would be most helpful to us still believing we might shed this harness. Please share.
Thank you.

You said most med resources are being applied to T2 meds. But I consulted a researcher friend, and she said that more money is being spent on T1, mostly because it's biologically easier, and there will be a cure for T1 long before there is a cure for T2. Med-wise, yes, T2s need more and different meds, because their issues are complex, whereas T1s just need insulin.

But don't be negative about a cure; whether it's a closed-loop mechanical system, or a way to selectively target the T cells that attack the islets plus regrowing one's own beta cells, it's definitely coming. There are a number of organizations and researchers working on it, and they're NOT the companies that develop meds for T2.