Yes or No: cured in your lifetime?

No thanks to Big Pharma

no

There's not an easy yes or no answer to your question. The eternal optimist in me says Yes.

During my 43 year experience with genetically Brittle Type 1 Diabetes I have seen enormous advances in Diabetes management, medications and therapies. When I was diagnosed in 1980, my life expectancy was about 40 years without DM, perhaps only 20 years with young adult onset of "Juvenile Diabetes".

I started with U-40 R and NPH beef-port insulin, glass syringes, and urine testing tablets that were notoriously inaccurate. That progressed to U-80 R and NPH beef-pork insulin, disposable single use syringes, and urine testing tape.

Insulin injection site sensitivity and hypertrophy "pock marks" virtually disappeared with the advent of U-100 R and NPH beef-pork insulin and early blood glucose meters. A bg test result in one minute that was fairly accurate definitely improved control and self-management.

I was also an early, pro-active adopter of Multiple Daily Injection (MDI) therapy, and suggested splitting my long-acting NPH into AM and PM doses to reduce "Dawn Phenomenon" and between meal hypoglycemia.

Human rDNA insulin vastly improved control, along with rapid response second and third generation BG meters with greater accuracy and 5 to 10 second results. 1/2 cc syringes allowed better dosage, and insulin pens added convenience. I added MDI style frequent BG testing with the newer BG meters for even more improvement.

Three years ago, thanks to a concerted effort by my Diabetologist and I, I was approved for an insulin pump by my Medicare Advantage HMO. My Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm Revel 723 Insulin Pump has dramatically improved my control, even with Brittle Type 1 Diabetes.

While my BG levels are still subject to random swings unrelated to diet, health, or self-management regimen, the combination of 0.05 unit dosage titration, Bolus infusion calculated by the pump to respond to current BG level, carbohydrate intake, and active on-board insulin is marvelous. Coupled with multiple daily background Basal rates, I have an effectively mechanical "external" pancreas assistant.

My meter transmits the current BG level to the pump. Press the Bolus Wizard, enter my carb intake, and the pump suggest an accurate bolus based on my personal insulin sensitivity, and allowing for active insulin.

To return to your question, while "big Pharma" has a vested interest in selling their pharmaceuticals, the tide of progress is not likely to slow. IMO, the problem is not entirely big Pharma obviously vested interest. On the contrary, there are many types of Diabetes, and the genetic alleles that bring onset can widely vary. In some ways searching for a single "cure" is a misnomer.

Genetic predisposition is a factor, For Type 2 especially, diet, exercise, lifestyle, and the effectiveness of each person's pancreas or sensitivity to insulin are major considerations. Couple that with the fairly well established fact that Diabetes mellitus is an auto-immune disease and the situation is even more complicate. Trying to find a "one size fits all" cure is similar to the quest for a cure the "common cold".

Vaccines to delay or prevent onset of Type 1 are in various stages of development. If successful in clinical trials, then the issue becomes one of identifying those at risk. If that can be determined, the challenge is wide distribution and low-cost for the vaccine. That approach has the potential for being a cure for pre-onset Type 1.

For existing Type 1s, beta cell transplantation is still problematic. Some early clinical trials found limited success, but in many cases the transplanted cells suffered from the auto-immune response. Side effects of auto-immune suppressants presented major complication and greater susceptibility to generic infections as well.

Attempts to encapsulate the transplanted or grown beta cells found the encapsulating mesh becoming clogged, reducing or stopping the flow of insulin produced by the transplanted cells.

LADA, Type 1.5, and Type 2 Diabetes all present differing challenges. Each can partially benefit from successes with the other types, including Type 1, though each, IMO, will need to be addressed and tested separately.

The problems are not intractable. While ONE cure is unlikely, individual cures are in the realm of possibility. The rate of progress is limited by the investment required and by the concerted, vocal support of Diabetes advocates -- namely us!

In the meanwhile, although not a "cure", a closed-loop insulin pump is an excellent step to actively pursue while these individual "cures" are studied and developed. Public education is key, for "cures", lobbying efforts, and general awareness of Diabetes, its costs. We need to spread the fact that any type of Diabetes is chronic but highly controllable.

People with controlled Diabetes are major contributors to society and the world economy. That value should be emphasized as a reason for supporting Diabetes research, early diagnosis, and investment in cures.

We should also remember that regardless of the size of the investment or resources committed, it was only about eighty years ago that Dr. Banting, aided by a research assistant (later Dr.) Best, discovered how to extract and refine insulin, the first effective treatment for Diabetes in a small, underfunded laboratory in Canada.

Hippocrates was among the first to diagnose and name the condition Diabetes mellitus. For thousands of years DM was an always fatal wasting disease. Thanks to Banting and Best, DM became a manageable, chronic condition. The good doctors even donated proceeds from their drug. We owe no small debt of gratitude to McGill University and Drs. Banting and Best.

My final answer to your question is a resounding YES. I have far exceeded the life expectancy current before my diagnosis. After 43 years with Brittle Type 1 Diabetes, my visit with my Diabetologist was outstanding. The consult was to get the results of January lab work. All tests were perfect for my demographic, with or without Diabetes, and despite continued brittle BGs. My HbA1c was 6.4! My life expectancy is for another twenty years -- at age 70 in three months after 43 years DM.

I won't hold my breath for a single "cure". There are varying possibilities for the individual "cures" I've suggested, but the tide of progress advances.

BTW, even if it doesn't benefit me personally, I'd <3 to see an effective vaccine for pre-onset Type 1. Come what may, Yes, YES, YES!

John
TuDiabetes Member Three Years
Brittle Type 1 Diabetes 43+ Years
Insulin Pumper 3 years

John Conrod
Medtronic MiniMed Ambassador

www.medtronicdiabetes.com

NOTE: As a MiniMed Ambassador, I receive promotional items and educational material to use and share as I see fit. No monetary compensation has taken place and any opinions expressed by me are honest and reflect my actual experience.

8490-minimed_ambassadors_banner.jpg (46.3 KB)

I almost like to say no but have to stay positive for my daughter so Yes

I think yes id like to think i have at least another 50 years in me so I think in that much time they will have come up with something

Hello,

Research is being done at the Massachusetts General Hospital- Immunobiology Lab in Charlestown, MA on the destruction of the autoreactive T cells, cells that destroy the insulin-secreting cells of the pancreas, with a very inexpensive bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccination which eliminate the abnormal white blood cells (autoreactive T cells) that are responsible for Type 1 diabetes. Mouse studies have been successful to a limited extent and a BCG Human Clinical Trial Program is under way. Addtional information can be found at www.faustmanlab.org or email DiabetesTrial@partners.org

NO

Absolutely.

That's a YES!

No. Big pharma makes to much money to find a cure.

I don't believe I remember ever hearing of any big pharmaceutical company finding a cure for anything. They are in the business of managing, not curing. However, there are plenty of independent researchers at Universities, Colleges and private foundations working away to find a cure, and not all of them rely on big pharms for their funding. So that's why I believe there is hope.

I will still say no. I have heard the same thing for the last 22 years with the same line, "we are so close to finding a cure." Well....I am still waiting.

Duh! Gilead just cured Hep C.

I don't believe there will be a cure anytime soon. They will just come up with some expensive advanced technology but no CURE....

Hi! I'm a little confused by your math...if you were diagnosed in 1980, that would only be 34 years with diabetes, not 43. (I was confused, because I was diagnosed in 1981, and I definitely haven't had diabetes for 40 years, yet!)

On another note...glass syringes in 1980? You must mean you were diagnosed in 1970. My brother was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1979, and he's always used disposable syringes. I remember they used to come in big, corrugated cardboard boxes with lots of packaging - each one was wrapped in paper. They've certainly eliminated a lot of packaging in the last 30 years! :)

I've go to go with NO on the cure in my lifetime. Like many others, I've been hearing that a cure is just five years away. Been hearing that since 1979. I try not to be cynical, but I also agree that there is much more money to be made in managing rather than curing Type 1. That's why any donations I made to diabetes organizations were to JDRF, rather than the ADA. Was a bit disappointed since JDRF seems to have backed away from working for a cure. :(

No, but perhaps we will be able to prevent some metabolic diseases using diet. But there are a lot of ifs in that statement.

Personally I am mostly convinced that my recent diagnoses was caused by my so called 'heart healthy' diet, along with statins, niacin, and beta blockers, that I was told I needed to follow after I had three stints put in 2007 or else. If the prescription had been changed to a very low carb, moderate protein, and high fat I do not think that I would have gotten diabetes.

The reason that I said no is that it is mostly a political and business interests that need change before we can have new guidelines. And that, I believe, will be a very uphill process that is unlikely to happen.

I think that if we join forces and think outside the box, and combine therapies from different healing modalities, we can do it. If we wait for big business to save us, it may never happen. Dr. Faustman is curing type 1 in mice with the TB vaccine. Maybe we should try this on our own?

I think type 1 has a viral component.

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/189/art%253A10.1007%252Fs00125-013-3104-9.pdf?auth66=1400899025_f347f378af52b1bf1d31522c3903583c&ext=.pdf
This an article by a Harvard Researcher showing that beta cell function continues in Type 1 Diabetics for decades.

Had an interesting rant with Lilly not long ago about what they were primarily working on. Guess what, T2 stuff. Oh anything on the cards for the T1's? urmm nope.

Think you have it the other way around Natalie. There is a larger market for T2's than T1's, and as such the business model is follow the money. T1's are a minor market in comparison to the sheer numbers and cash generating potential from T2's. While developing a cure for T1 would be of use if sold at an immense fee to cover the lack of sales of other items (probably looking house price or higher fee) than the T1 research might get progressed to market.