You Can Determine Your Own Health Destiny

I’ve started a personal blog and this is my first post for Diabetes Blog Week 2015.

Being diagnosed with diabetes can be a sudden traumatic event. Suddenly we are told we have a chronic life-long condition for which there is no cure and that we face a life of complications and early death. As someone diagnosed with Type 2 this can be particularly shocking as we are treated by the medical system in a really patronizing way with very mixed messages. We are told that not only did we cause our condition by being fat and lazy we are also given commands by our doctors to take our medication and do certain things with our lifestyle. Before being diagnosed with diabetes my interactions for the healthcare system was for acute care, a cut which was stitched up, an infection with a prescription of an antibiotic. I saw the doctor, trusted their competence. I was told what to do and then left and complied with their direction.

Read More >>>

3 Likes

Brian - I, too, had a similar experience with the medical system’s willful ignorance of the effectiveness of carb limits and diabetes. While my anger has cooled, I continue to observe that same ignorance. Carb limits allowed me to make some significant breakthroughs in my diabetes treatment. Clinically important things like losing weight, cutting insulin amounts in half, and getting off the glucose roller-coaster. If big pharma had a drug that could do this, we’d all know about it from the unending litany of TV commercials.

Good luck with your new blog. I posted a comment directly to it and it didn’t post right away. I’m hoping the system didn’t eat it. Once I had my narrative in the box, it took me to my Google sign-on screen. When I entered my password and hit enter, it returned me to your blog page and my composition disappeared. If the internet ate my words, it wouldn’t be the first time!

Thanks Terry. I didn’t see any comments pending and I am not moderating comments. I changed commenting to allow anonymous comments. I suspect the internet ate your words.

It’s a huge shock to be told you have diabetes when you have been carefully following the recommended Low GI diet as I was. Low fat, high carb, little meat, lots of veggies and fruit, I did it all! What a waste of time, all that self denial for nothing! I live in a retirement village and know lots of people with T2, but I seem to be the lone voice in the wilderness suggesting they try carb restriction to get their blood sugars down. Most people prefer to take extra tablets or insulin to control their diabetes.

I consider that reluctance to change eating habits an almost universal human trait. It took me at least two years, knowing the many benefits carb limitations grant people with diabetes, to act on that knowledge. Once I started to feel the benefits, I was sold. I can’t imagine ever converting back to the unlimited carb way of eating, short of an outright cure. Even then, I wouldn’t want to insult a fully working pancreas with massive carb loads.

1 Like