You cannot work there because you have diabetes

In Canada, you can be a commercial airline pilot with type 1 diabetes. Stephen Steele was the first type 1 diabetic to be captain on a passenger airline. Yay Canada!

Pilot refuses to let diabetes keep him grounded, Toronto Star

Through the diabetes grapevine, I just learned of a firefighter in our city was recently diagnosed T1, and he can no longer be on active duty at a station. Instead, he’s been assigned to the academy.

Hmmm…I hate to be a bummer, Michael, but laws like these are quite responsible and the main reason for disallowing insulins users from driving children or other members of the public is that eventually we diabetics start to lose the warning signs of low blood sugar and that is extremely dangerous!!! I have been T1 for about 31 years, it took a while to lose my sensation of falling blood sugar but it did happen. Now perhaps with a CGM this problem will be eliminated, but don’t worry about feeling like you are being discriminated against for your diabetes; there are many jobs we can do. Laws meant to protect the public are ok. We have to accept that we might be a risk and learn to make sure we are safe for driving. Good luck to you!!

Until someone can PROVE you, as a T1D, can’t, you can do anything you put your mind to!

I have talked to T1D pilots, firefighters, police, drivers (pro racers also), undercover agents, and I hear there is a T1D on the US Supreme Court…thanks to Sonia!

So go for it!!!

Great topic choice, really interesting! Awesome input everyone! Such a variety of jobs we have here!

I think about it objectively. Like if I were to have my own kids riding to school in a bus, would I really feel comfortable letting their operator risk a chance of missing that train signal or misreading a distance to another car due to a sudden and non-felt low? Probably not. I also firmly believe diabetics can do ANYTHING, but how much responsibility are you willing to have when so many other lives may be at stake? Just saying, this is quite the philosophy question.

It is kind of sad to hear diabetic giving up on diabetes. There is no reason to not trust a T1D if they take care of themselves and respect the D and how they can be “normal”.

I wish the day would come when “diabetes” is not a bad word, even from those who should understand that you can master it. Don’t give up yourselves, you can master the big D and climb Mt. Everest, and do anything you want despite the bad attitude about diabetics being less that capable of doing any job that anyone else can do.

Not all diabetics give up, some do master it, more than you can imagine!

Yes…there are "borders’…that said, there are exceptions to rules! Don’t let such comments get in your way. Each case/person is individual!
I know of a commercial pilot with type 1. He must however be METICULOUS about his BG, and test consistently, as well be under much scrutiny…BUT, he does fly!

Jobs that people with type 1 diabetes can do, and do well: open-wheel race car driver (Charlie Kimball), teen pop star (seriously, that would burn a lot of glucose! Nick Jonas), Olympian (Kris Freeman), founder of diabetes non-profit organization (Manny Hernandez, Steven Edelman); pro football player (Jay Cutler); magazine editor (me!); mom (too many to list); dad (ditto); grandparent (ditto).

“Positions” that people with type 1 diabetes can’t or won’t do: hypocrite (discriminate against people with differing abilities or park in a access parking space unless we need it); thief (would never steal someone’s last glucose tab); liar (darn it, A1Cs tell all).

Really, the world is just jealous that those of us in the Diabetes community are stronger, faster, smarter, kinder, braver, and more handsome than the general population. We just don’t flaunt it :slight_smile: PS: Whatever you do, don’t tell the general population about the secret handshake.

I am a type 2 diabetic and I live with an intersting condition. I tend to suffer from lows if I dont catch them quick enough. For some crazy reason my pancreas chose to dump some serious insulin at the worst times. I am a software engineer and there where times when I hit lows very quickly in the middle of hectic projects. I would hit in the 60’s with shakes and sweats. I have been in instances were I work up to 20 hours a day for days straight. I know software engineer is not life critical but money critical and you think someone’s life was at stake the way we sometimes push ourselves. It’s intersting that even with my lows I still try to out perform others who are "normal’. So my point to make is that I want to be twice as good as the next person, twice as fast, twice as accurate, twice as productive because when the projects are done and we have pulled off some good work I then tell manages and coworkers that I have diabetes. At that point I am still trying to figure out how to interpret there reaction. I usually get a response like “I did not think someone with diabetes could work at that level or be productive without complications”. I like to prove people wrong about perceptions. So dont ever let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. If you look at this site long enough you will see a lot of professionals with different levels of employment.

take care

Scott,
that is scarey!! I have a cousin who is a truck driver and T2. He said there are many drivers who avoid going on insulin for this very reason. Driving a truck with a high bg isn’t any better in my opinion.

Hurray!!! Bronze it, wel said. Limits are to be tested, not excepted.

Most of my jobs have never been an issue. I worked at a TV station when I was diagnosed so I made sure I had some candy in my pockets before we did the live news. It’s been more of a self discretion thing for me. I’m now a fine furniture student so I use sharp tools and machinery on a daily basis. I have to think things through a bit more. Like, if I’m feeling extra warm in the shop is it because I’m working hard or a low coming on? And I have to tell myself constantly to not just finish something up then check. I haven’t tried getting a job yet, but when I do I won’t be telling them about my diabetes until after I have the job. My rational is that I know I won’t let it after my work or safety so it won’t be a liability. But I’ll tell them after I get the job, just in case.

Well I found this form online : http://www.ode.state.or.us/services/transportation/forms/2278d-E.pdf
It seems to look like if you aren’t having severe hypoglycemia then you could still do it. I’m sorry that your friends mom was so inconsiderate and, in my opinion, rude.

hey samantha, i’m a cabinet maker (although my trade schooling was in furniture making) and i’ve had no problems with being diabetic and work. I’ve had lows a fair few times while using panel saws, jointers, lathes etc. but i’ve never run into any trouble. Just make sure you stick to all the safety procedures you should be following anyway, that way your hand/limbs should never be in a position of danger if you go low.

the only times things can get a bit sticky (excuse the pun) is when you are doing something that you can’t stop in the middle of, like gluing something up, and you feel a low coming on.

lol, to be truthful i’m usually more worried about stuffing up a piece i’m working on from being low than i am about hurting myself.

Thanks for well-reasoned and logical answer. I’m tired of hearsay and rumor based answers. Kudos to you.

Bad bus drivers endanger riders, kids and adults, not diabetic bus drivers. The point is, anyone can be an idiot, but if you are responsible for the safety of others, you have to step it up, diabetic or not, and if you can’t you should not be responsible for the lives of others, diabetic or not, not mater what you do for a living. More that one diabetic has been to the top Mt. Everest, and it takes more that an “I did it once attitude and approach” Both Ds that have topped the world are more than responsible for their achievement and were not there because they are Ds, they did it despite being a D. That is what maks anyone successful at that they do, failure comes from not be able to overcome what you are, are not, have or have not, or what others think.

Temporing will be due when people realize that you measure someone on what they accomplish not on what you think they cannot do or accomplish!

You should see the bathtub I once caulked during a low. Not a pretty sight! But the only harm I did was to the tube of latex caulk :slight_smile:

I’ve had Stephen speak to our support group (Canadian Diabetes Association).
Awe inspiring!

JT,

Interesting. I guess if your body is working (burning calories) to keep up the body temp, then yes, it could be a factor in a dropping BG. Of course, when diving, I am always wearing a wetsuit to help keep the body temp up. Now I don’t have a lot of body fat, so I DO find that when diving in a group, I am the one who gets cold first. Could the D be playing a role here?

Could be another thread…

Fair Winds,
Mike

Hmmmm…I found that too when skiing, and I also have limited padding. Read somewhere that the energy spent in either keeping warm, or trying to cool down has a great bearing on your blood glucose, as the body cannot dispense energy in multiple areas all at once…it’s busy dealing with what is most pressing at the time!