You ok?

You should have seen this location this morning…I thought we were passed “the lines for miles.” The line was already all the way to the other end of the parking lot at 8 am. (To give others an idea of the parking lot size…The area this Costco is at used to be a “small” mall)

1 Like

Hey we are neighbors !! I live about 2-3 miles from that Costco. Let’s keep in touch somehow

1 Like

I do not have any shopping delivery in our area. (town,rural). Wish we did. My husband goes as seldom as needed. For people who don’t believe this ask them if they want to be the one who infects a spouse or grandchild.? Do you want to live with this? That is my opinion. Our CDC director said even if your county doesn’t have a case, they do you just don’t know it. Be safe. Nancy50

1 Like

Richard – I understand both your wife’s concern to keep food in the house and your concern with literal survival. The only reason the virus is not more apparent in your area is mostly due to the lack of testing. I suspect that the virus is much more prevalent than you know!

I realize that this is a ticklish situation since you and your wife help each other so much. Why not inquire if there might be some social agency that could provide you with a grocery shopping/delivery service in your area? Or you might reach out to some neighbors or friends to see if they might help. Consider that older friends and neighbors could appeal to their adult children to help you.

I was all set to head out to a farmer’s market last weekend since I reasoned that it was outdoors and had taken many measures to make it safer during this virus outbreak. But then I read on their website that they discouraged anyone over 60 from attending and that was just enough to extinguish that idea.

I know that we like to maintain our independence as much as we can and that’s usually a healthy sentiment. Trust your gut instincts on this but try to be gentle with your wife, too. You’ve made a ton of good judgments over the years to survive with diabetes for so long; it makes no sense to over-rule that gut-instinct at this time. The penalty here is too severe!

Good luck with this and I hope you can reach a decision with your wife that feels right to both of you.

2 Likes

Richard, I’d ask a neighbor to help. I’m sure you have many friends nearby. I just talked to a friend of mine who wanted to sign up for Hannaford to Go, and they have temporarily suspended it because they need to use those resources to restock shelves. Shop Rite is experiencing the same situation.

The situation in NY State is not good. Cases are doubling every 3 days. here’s the map with reported cases

I think you will see cases have increased in your area

sending positive thoughts, keep well

2 Likes

Thanks @Terry4, the only compromise that we have reached is for my wife to shop, and I will exercise by walking outside in the huge parking lot. She will wear gloves, and not touch her face. That is the best I can do. My wife is very independent and stubborn in her old age. lol
As a reprimand, I told my wife that there will be no hugs and kisses until May 31. That is the date of our 56’th anniversary.

2 Likes

Thanks, @MarieB. I did not know that deliveries had been suspended. I have neighbors much younger than us, but they have not made any offers. We are not going to ask them to shop for us.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this @richard157. I have many relatives in upstate NY, I think not too far from you.

I found this video helpful to understand how the virus impacts us, maybe it would help your wife understand the seriousness.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/video/what-covid-19-symptoms-look-like-day-by-day/vi-BB11pWbr

2 Likes

Congrats!! That is an achievement!!

2 Likes

Yes, that is a step forward. Nancy50

Yes. Thanks for asking. We are in central Massachusetts. Biggest issue has been interruption in routine. But I am trying to walk my 2 miles a day, despite their being a semi-snowstorm yesterday. It was much better today. Feeling well. Planning meals. I have not really had diabetes issues, though I miss being able to go to the gym!

Ame-e, I grew up there in central Ma. I left almost 40 years ago. Nancy50

These stores need to be open in case you need to fix something at home since you can’t just call a plumber, electrician, repairman, etc. Home Depot sent an email the other day with links to several videos with DIY projects like replacing your kitchen faucet, fixing your toilet, etc.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was speaking with a guy earlier about this and he said the same thing (should have know it wasn’t just to keep people busy in their “confinement”). He said water pipe burst, you have to get it fix; something happens to the toilet, need to be able to fix it. (In our area I do think plumbers, electricians, etc are consider “essential” workers because of this. Can’t wash your hands more frequently if the water won’t come out of the faucet. :wink:) Never thought of it that way. I just know my parents and brother have been busy doing all the “fix-it” things around the house that they don’t always have time to do. I think my mother mentioned painting the hallway next…Me, I still have to go to work everyday…

1 Like

My husband isn’t a fix it person at all, but he is already going stir crazy. He’s pulled the screws out of the walls of the curtain rods we took down and patched the holes. He’s done some painting. Lots of yard work, he likes that more than anything. Rearranged a room. But there is only so much that he can do even if he made a store trip, so next week should be interesting. He needs a home hobby and he’s never been that type of person. He does get to snorkel and swim every day and take walks but…

Maybe we start painting the whole house…you call the paint store tell them what you want, they charge it and set it outside the door when you come. They don’t want anyone inside.

2 Likes

Have been doing pretty well, until this morning when my BG’s were 385. Really scared me (e.g., fever?). Turns out my last infusion set was placed in an area that bent the cannula. It’s taken me all day to get things sorted out again. Then, as I tested and entered lunch carbs, the pump said something like, unable to deliver the insulin. Then as I looked, it read “active insulin…whatever number… Once I’m not super frustrated and a bit “ragey” (grin) will call Medtronics to do tests on my pump.

Living in Denver, here, and Mayor has placed additional restrictions on our movements. I have been walking to get groceries, but have been keeping my distance from others. Although I have had young neighbors willing to help, my diet being T1 and vegetarian, it’s hard to make a list, or know how to tell them how to substitute. My living situation is a bit difficult right now, and am in the process of trying to get moved out of state…found a place that is affordable but again, with our restrictions it has been difficult getting the proper paperwork to them. (i.e., copying certain documents). Until the last couple of days, have been fine, and get out walking when the weather cooperates. Really appreciate that the “You ok?” thread was started.

2 Likes

Sorry you had trouble with your insulin pump, hope things are back to “ normal”. My daughter in law accidental mailed us the kids Easter Candy,lol. I said “ Oh,gooody” , then told her we would forward them to her. Life goes on. Nancy50

3 Likes

:rofl:

@Nancy50 New hypo stash!

1 Like

Hello Terry, I am a fellow trampoline owner, but not so far a fellow user, alas! How long do you spend on it at a time? And at what effort level? I find it rather tiring, but perhaps I need to slow down? Best wishes for you in your excellent life-plans.

1 Like