Your motivation

I'm very new to this, having only been diagnosed a month ago and still waiting to seen the endo and confirm that I'm a LADA but... I've had some major personal setbacks in the last few years that were not related to my health. They were due to circumstances beyond my control, but affected me deeply. I'm determined not to let diabetes de-rail my life because there's a huge amount of stuff that I can do to minimize--maybe completely prevent--complications.

One of my great uncles was a young child when he became a patient of Banting's. He lived into his mid 70s and enjoyed his life to the absolute maximum. Diabetes today is a springtime walk in the park by comparison to the 1920s, but my uncle did it with care, diligence and grace. I reckon that, at 53, I can do as well as he did!

My love for my family and life is what motivates me most!

Living, Laughing and Loving. Yep....I will fight for it all. My daughters and granddaughters. Friends and loved ones.

I control my diabetes so I dont suffer from ketosis / Ketoacidosis - its really unpleasnt to die from vomiting!!! I was diagnosed as Type 1 Diabetic aged 9 - Im now nearly 47 - around age 15 I went through a rebelious stage - anger denial self pity etc etc and at one stage decided to stop taking insulin. Dumb-■■■! 2 weeks later I was in hospital dying!!!. It was really unpleasant - I dont really give a toss about long term medical conditions - odds are I will die quickly from a heart attack or slolwly from cancer - theres a remote chance a bus might hit me tomorrow - Diabetes stopped me from joining the military (and from being drafted into several armies) - thanks diabtetes for possibly saving my life from a bullet or bomb. Stopped me being a bus driver (shucks) and a jet pilot (oh well...) I work as an archaeologist and anthropologist in remote Western Australia - which is moslty desert. Last week I was inspecting Aboriginal burial grounds with Traditional Owners on the coast around Carnarvon and Coral Bay.- its a hard life, but someone has to live it. I'm well organised and have at least this BGL machine and pens to give me something real to base my day around (I dont have kids, or a regular work schedule). I've also worked as a geologists assistant in some pretty remote places. Nowdays, thanks to PC, Diabetes is actually an excellent excuse for refusing to work in dangerous conditions or in remote areas without adequate access to emergency medical assistance (I work with elderly Indigenous people who have health challenges)

I have my good days and my not so good days. But living is good compared to the alternative!

you will be ok just workout every day dont smoke and drink just a little

jan im ocd because i got diabetes over 40 years ago and belivie me its better to be on top of things

Have been owned by type one for 51 years. Stopped “kicking” many years ago. Do not care to apply any more effort. Far too tired. I do like tudiabetes .org. Apparently, sometimes people fight and win. Just not me. Ever.

Two things motivate me. 1. Seeing the complications others go through - kidney dialysis, eye problems, amputations, etc. 2. High blood sugars (usually) don't feel good. Why not do the work to keep blood sugar controlled and save the complications. I'm 57, and aim to live past 100 despite diabetes since age 31. When I get around classmates who've been diabetic fewer years but are suffering from complications . . . .

There are two things in life that motivate us, the fear of pain and the desire for pleasure

I do it for my girlfriend, my future children and the fear of complications.

I've been a diabetic for most of my life the first 6 months of my existence were diabetes free until a nasty bout with double pneumonia came along and distroyed my pancreas they told my mom some virus form attacked it and wala been this way ever since. However I've always been stubborn and that gives me strength. Doctors told my mom I wouldnt make it past 5 I did, said I wouldn't make it past 30 I did. Still here lol. I put up a good fight. Started pumping almost 1 1/2 years ago and my A1c went from 8.1 to latest 6.7. :) But what keeps me on time is the fear that I may lose a limb or my eyesight or even the use of my kidneys which happens so often when diabetics take their health for granted. I guess me being pissed at this disease has given me the passion that anyone needs to keep fighting the good fight.

I was diagnosed 6 years ago when I couldn't see well enough to drive. Luckily my vision improved ( to what was normal for me) as soon as I got my BG down. I don't want to go there again!!! In spite of some family, friends and colleagues who don't understand ( and some previous bad medical care), I have to be my own best advocate to be sure that I do not go blind.

The thing that keeps me going is my best friend. He is always telling me i inspire him and that he looks up to me. He told me i was the strongest person he knew.

routine i guess

It's a simple answer, but hope. Hope that there will be a cure in our lifetime and we will see some very exciting, positive changes that will improve and save the lives of diabetics everywhere. It is a far-reaching goal, but in a way most of the things we do in life are based on hope. We have hope that there will be a point to our efforts, that our jobs will bring us the things we want, that we are in for good times with friends and family. It is a unique thing in humans.

my best friend Alyssa :) if i get tired of it, she just tells me "diabetes doesnt control your life, but it does inhibit your life. its just a few hurdles to jump over in order to keep enjoying your life."

Hope is a wonderful thing, as long as you don't let it interfere with reality. The parents who let their children die while believing God will cure them, are the victims of misplaced hope.

So OF COURSE I will hope for a cure for diabetes, or, even better, foolproof prevention, but I will also support those who work on the reality of easing the life I live with it every day. Having been diagnosed as an adult, I KNOW what life is like when you don't have to worry about what you put in your mouth, and you can have treats when you feel like it, and you have never had a blithering idiot low nor a hallucinatory high. I really DID like my life before diabetes better, and I will accept any help I can get in making it as convenient and comfortable now, even if it's not a cure.

The main thing for me is I feel absolutely horribe when the sugars are out of range. I'm 130 right now and feel like cracking someones skull open. Other then that its these three potential breakthroughs.

http://www.faustmanlab.org/

http://www.viacyte.com/

http://www.smartinsulin.com/

The main reason is my family second is to avoid complications down the road stay as healthy as i can well i can . We got to do what we need to do