Your thoughts on logging diabetes numbers: BGs, food, exercise, etc

I use to log and hated it with a passion always forgot most of the time. So it would be choppy. I started using sugar stats.com and it was better but now with my pump I just use it and it’s data hardware to download it every so often.

wouldn’t it be better if it pulled the information from your meter and you could use the calorie king data base to calculate

No, I don’t log. I did for the first ten years, using logbooks provided by One Touch or B-D, but I stopped around age 20 - ten years ago. I just find it time-consuming and overwhelming. I now rely too heavily on the memory functions of my meter, pump, or CGMS. About once a month or so, I upload all the devices into CoPilot and review the data. Or I use my CGM as my data logger and go back over a few weeks at a time, reviewing standard deviation, highs, lows, etc. after the fact.

The logging systems I’ve seen, by and large, do not accommodate my needs as a pumper, as a CGM wearer, or as someone who eats at odd times. They don’t offer enough room for notes or events. They don’t offer me quick data entry into the fields I need, so it’s difficult to log all the data that appears on my meter screen into the separate fields before the meter times out and I have to start over. The best method is still to create my own paper and pencil version, but then I find that I have too much to write and no time or desire to scribble it in.

No, I don’t log. I did for about a month after my T1 diagnosis in May 08. I immediately discarded the prepared book as I found it inadequate, made my own, and then stopped that too. It felt overwhelming and useless. And like ONE MORE new thing I had to do in my new diabetic life. When I eliminated it from my new “routine”, I felt kinda free. Probably as free as I’ll feel w/ D.

It’s kinda like the thought: don’t test unless you know what you are going to do with the information. Why log? I do test frequently (8-10x), but I ask myself this question sometimes too. I am a person that like lots of information, but logging? Ughhh…one more thing. Unless I start feeling like I have too many highs or lows or an A1C over 6%, then I won’t be logging. I’m sure in the future I may need to make adjustments (like when I’m done with this “honeymoon”?) so I may log again for a moment.

I’ve thought of logging again about how I adjust the around my menstrual cycle. But I mostly just check the calendar and adjust as I go. Sometimes I write the Lantus amount on my calendar as it changes throughout my cycle. Maybe I do need to chart that…

I am envious of the PWD that have CGMS and Pumps that are able to download. The little log books make no sense to me. Breakast, Lunch Dinner, Snack. My work schedule is never consistant therefore my meals do no fall in those catagories. My idea of a “perfect logging system” would be a cool ipod size meter/logging system. You can check your blood sugar, you can review a calorie king to help count carbs, it logs the carbs, meds, times exercise and maybe play a little downloaded music as you exercise. DREAM ON!.. Do you think the insurance companies would pay for that one? I’m good at checking my BS. I just suck at logging.

I have been checking out the “Glucose Buddy thing and the Apps” but I am still old school and have a regular cellphone. No Iphone, No Blackberry…

I used to log my numbers faithly.I haven’t in a while.I feel that if my numbers become a concern,I’ll just take my machine with me to the doctors office and have her take a look at my numbers that way.I sometimes find it overwhelming if my numbers would continuosly run on the high side.

I have charts I made myself and a binder for ALL my diabetes stuff.I take that binder to all appt.s and have everything there for them. I look at the binder once a week and record all #'s and whatever else I need to that day. Do I find it overwhelming? YES! It takes alot of patience, stubborness and control and another word I don’t know to do this. Everything I wish I had more of.I like see the to #'s all together, and I can see patterns and can fix the highs next time.
My Dr.s like logging system so I will keep @ it.Annoying as it is. : )

When I was MDI, I pretty much wrote everything down on a complicated chart my CDE gave me.
Wrote down carb counts, the food I ate, BGs (and even a guesstimate of how much IOB remained), exercise (what types), time I took Lantus, humalog (how many units), etc. It was a pain, but I easily noticed trends.

Now on the pump, I don’t log as often. I really just depend on the downloads I get from the Ping and Dexcom and all the info I input into them.