Your thoughts ..Please?

Woops! I forgot one piece. This is obviously why I am not a doctor. :slight_smile:

Insulin takes a different amount of time to react in different bodies, and different insulins act differently within the same body. I think dropping over 2 hours does match with the acting time of humolog. If I remember correctly it is supposed to peak at about 2 hrs or so and be out of the body completely in about 4 hours. So, youā€™re right, I should have said watch it over 2-3 hours, not 1 hour.

It looks like you at least know what your ā€œcorrection factorā€ is now. Fancy word, eh? If you take 1 unit in the morning it looks like you drop close to 30 points.

Now we get to complicate things again. Since you are type 2, your body is still making insulin. I am assuming that this means your body might use insulin better at some times of the day more than others. Which leads me to guess that while 1 unit drops you 30 points in the morning, it might drop you at a faster rate later on in the day. Basically, I want to caution you against testing at 6:00pm at 130, taking 1 unit because you want to drop to 100, and then ending up with a BG of 70.

And of course, as Manny has posted on the site, I am not a doctor. But I do know a heck of a lot about diabetes. :slight_smile:

What brand of meter did you get? I also might be out of luck in the insurance department soon, and my current strips are around $30 for a box of 50.

If you can not afford to buy the book, then do check out the website I mentioned. A lot of Walshā€™s info is there and the site includes tools for adjusting your insulin dosages.

Hey Sara:) This website is mainly used by Medicare; but you can pay cash to buy teh meter and teststrips:) Here it is : http://www.med-care.us/onlinestore/
I found them very easy to call up and order from:) Iā€™ve not tried to use the site yet.
I did get the price confused with another meter that I had looked at . Iā€™m sorry. This Meter is the Easy Check and the teststrips are $16.00 for 50 stripsā€¦ still alot better than some. The test strips can also be bought at American Diabetes Supplys under the name ( Homeaid and it seels there at $13.89) http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/-strse-389/Home-Aide-Diagnā€¦
The other meter was on AmericanDiabetesSupply http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/-strse-770/Ultimate-EZ-Smaā€¦ for the meter. http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/-strse-771/Ultimate-EZ-Smaā€¦ for the test strips.
I hope this helps:) LOL! I hope I didnt confuse it all!
MeadowLark

12:45 pm :slight_smile: Iā€™m 116 nowā€¦ Iā€™m kinda feeling like I want to munch on somethingā€¦ still ā€¦not really hungry. The pattern you see is basically what happens even when Iā€™m not taking any medicine at all.
I dont know what /where I really sit on this diabetic path. As far as Drā€™s goā€¦ Iā€™m not sure they really want to figure out the things that we diabetics with our own bodies find out to keep ourselves going.
sighā€¦ I do just want to live long enough to see my kids grown and settled. Iā€™ve been thru my share of heartachesā€¦ I really hope somethings can turn for better. I so feel the need for a break.

Hey Sara, Normally if I eat a veggie lunch;Iā€™ll be around 90 to 115 by 6 or 7 pm when Iā€™m ready to eat dinner. If I eat bread; as in a sandwichā€¦ Iā€™d be around 130 or so for dinner time.
MeadowLark

ok it is 1:52 pm I just tested and am 126. So in the last hour I went up 16 points. Iā€™m gonna go eat some leftover chinese that Stephen brought home from work lastnight.( LOL! the joys of free food on some of his route!)
MeadowLark

ok that was really stupid! at 2:29 I was 300! I have never tested like this before. What a surprize!!! ok at 4:13 I was 174. Still not cool at all. I never knew I was this high after eating this before. I always feel good and never thought to check!
Now it is 6:53 and Iā€™m quite happy sitting at 103:)
Today has had some real shocks for me. To say the least. sighā€¦ Stephen brought home Sante Fe Chicken Salad from Sonics for me. (free food from doing Mystery Shopping.) yupā€¦ some of the internet things to earn money really work. We got this free meal and heā€™ll get paid $8.00 or there abouts.
Okā€¦ so today has been food that just came in at this time ā€¦not my normal stuff. My numbers are normally a bit lower after lunch. around 150 to 180. depending on if I eat a sandwich or a salad and fruit. or soup and sandwich.
Are you all still watching my crazy day?
MeadowLark

yes we are donā€™t feel bad i have crazy number days too. i still havenā€™t figured out what i am doing wrong. i have only had/diagnoseed/ diabetes since jan 11th '08. i know they all keep telling me to hang in there we will figure it out in time. "hugs"
karen k

Yes Meadowlark. We are all still here loving and caring and hugging you. Every time you can feel us hugging you, that is you hugging us right back. Thank you for giving us the chance for a group hug. I hope you rest well and that tomorrow is a better day.

The craziest thing is the past 4 years Iā€™ve been happily enjoying sesame chicken from 2 different places in Charleston SC with no problem at all with my bloodsugar numbers. Never went above 145 eating as much as I wanted! Then, Stephen is on his route and gets freebie from some new place and I hit a 300? It did taste different;but still good. I was so blown away. I normally feel very sleepy when I get any where near 200! What happened???

Ok This morning still not in teh time change zone yet. Slept in til 8:34 and laid there:p LOL! The whole house was quiet! I finally came downstairs at 9am and tested at 168. sighā€¦ The sliding scale says take 4 units. I guess I will. I really hate this whole mess. ( I know,ā€¦ we all do.)ughā€¦
My hands feel so stiff this morning!
Thankyou for all the hugs. :slight_smile: I did sleep well.
Huggles
MeadowLark

Sleeping well is a great way to start the day. Youā€™ve got me waiting to see how this day goes for you! Whatā€™s for breakfast?
About not having insurance and not affording medsā€¦there was a blog posted by a member not too long ago stating the same concern and she received a lot of answers with contacts for drug companies and others that helped people in that situation. Read back on the conversations.
Thinking of youā€¦

Thankyou Elaine:)
I took the 4 units of Humalogā€¦then I was gonna make a green smoothie for breakfast ā€¦just to discover that the mangos that I had bought on Monday were no where in the house! sighā€¦ Forgot the fruit bag at teh fruitstand. I had already taken the shotā€¦so I just got back and tested. I"m 115 now! 10:23 am. I was 168 at 9:02 am I think Iā€™m gonna have an apple. Just dont feel like messing in teh kitchen and dont want to go low.
I did call WalMart and found out that I can buy over teh counter Humalin (umm dont know if I spelled that right.) one vial for $22.00. It looks like a vial will last me a very long time!Iā€™m still using my first vial right now. ( I got it Jan 21, it is still half full!)
MeadowLark

Meadowlarkā€¦I was told at diagnoses to use my cartridges of humalog for no longer than 4 weeks and my endo recommended replacement at 3! There may be a similar shelf life for Humalinā€¦
I hope youā€™ve eaten so as to not go low!
Wishing you a good dayā€¦

PS I used to love to make a mango/berry/yogurt smoothy until reading on this site told me that mangos are very high in fast acting sugars. Arenā€™t I just full of cheery news!

I did eat an apple:)
I had spoken to the pharmacist. She told me that as long as I kept it in the fridge or cool when I go out that it will stay good indefinitely. :slight_smile: It is still acting the same as far as how it lowers my numbers as when I first started taking it in Jan of this year.
Iā€™ll test now:) Iā€™m 105! I"m gonna head out to Charleston to deal with some bills. sighā€¦ Iā€™ll check in later to tell you how my day goes.( i do carry almonds and some of those cute litte fishy crackers that are only 4 carbs for 10 of them:) As well as one of those tubes of funky glucose tabs incase I need it. I always test before I drive anyway. (Iā€™ve heard enough aweful stories about that!)
Huggles
MeadowLark

That is true: but Iā€™ve learned that if I add Kale and make it a "Green Smoothie"
then my numbers are cool!
Ok Iā€™m headed out the door ā€¦ long trip! See ya later this afternoon.
MeadowLark

MeadowLark I myself was almost 400 lbs at one time I stopped weighing myself at 389 and didnā€™t start losing weight until 6-7 months later so Iā€™m sure I was at least 400 'cuz I wasnā€™t losing it. I was told lose some weight and you wonā€™t be diabetic anymore bullsh*t I now weigh 225 and need even more insulin than when I first started. And I canā€™t really afford to go back and forth from Dr. to Dr. since I donā€™t have insurance. So itā€™s pay 40 then and make payments. There are some very good books at the library and plenty of info on the internet. I myself try and askā€¦askā€¦ask until I get to be a pain. I have RA as well and to be honest the best thing I ever did was to lose almost 200 lbs. my joints still creak and moan but they donā€™t shriek like they used too. Good luck with your eating I unfortunately have never met a calorie I didnā€™t like.

Thankyou Bonnie:) Iā€™ve gone from 285 to sliding around at 180 to 185sighā€¦ for the past two years. I actually got down to 172 then, just couldnt hang on to itā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what happened there.
I did well today:) I was 122 around noon then we ate out at a chinese place. :wink: yummy!Iā€™m 177 and I ate lunch at 3:00pm! That is not bad. I had Seasame chicken too! I wonder what was in the ingredients so different from what my hubby brought home? Anywayā€¦ I guess it has alot to do with how teh numbers add up!

By teh way:0 We stopped at GoodWill and I found a bunch of Ascencia teststrips for $4.99! I got them! That will be a great savings:)
Huggles
MeadowLark

Youā€™ve got to love Good Will! My Ascencia strips are about $1 a pop.
Meadowlark, I am so glad todays #'s were good for you.
CONGRATULATIONS on losing over 100 lbs. I am impressed. You should know that if you did that, you are capable of doing anything.
Nowā€¦I love my veggies, but I am not sure I want them messing up my fruit. Tell me about this green smoothie. Would I like it? Does it taste more like kale or mango, despite being green? Do we have to close our eyes to drink it?

Elaine:) Depends on what your ratio of kale is to your fruit:)
Iā€™ve taken Mango/banana/pear/kale as a Green Smoothie. It tastes great! It is actually just a pretty spring green color.
LOL
! dont look at the color! Just drink. You cant really taste the kale so much as you see green:) (think green eggs and ham! food coloring.
Pineapple,banana,pear and kale are great too! I just take a bit of each and 4 or 5 kale leaves at a time.

This is a picture of a few of my kids snaggin the blender and straws before I got a chance to pour into glasses.by the way...I had to make more before I got any! Meadowlark hey my pic didnt show up. sigh... I'll go add the pic My Page .. go take a peak?

Meadowlarkā€¦that picture is the cutest thing I have seen all day.