Ypsomed pump - does it have a good waist clip?

Wow thanks! Everything you’ve said is so useful.

I also appreciate when devices have good accessibility/readability so was really pleased to hear that. Sorry to be a pain but are you saying you started using Fiasp at the same time as starting Ypsomed? Or did you use Fiasp with other pumps and it didn’t cause occlusions with them?

I don’t think I’ve ever had a pump with an occlusion alarm. Would certainly be a useful thing but only if it didn’t ‘over-react’ I guess. ie to something transient (although transient occlusions would affect BGs too).

You probably already know, or have considered this (I’m often telling people things they found out years before!) but some people get better results with 50% humalog 50% fiasp (or various % combinations with humalog or novorapid). Consensus seems to be that almost everyone ends up with issues on Fiasp though from what I can see, either occlusions, site irritation or insulin resistance.

Thanks again!

I’ve been using Fiasp in my Animas pump for the past two years or so without problems.

I had heard of mixing insulin and may give that a try if the NovoRapid alone seems too slow… I did try that with Apidra once and the results were terrible, the insulin seemed ot not work at all. So I’ll try straight NovoRapid before doing anything drastic. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I found mixing Fiasp and Humalog very messy and didn’t enjoy it but only tried it once! So you used straight iasp for 2 years without getting insulin resistance either?

I do take anywhere from 50-80 units a day. But I’m also overweight, and that increased gradually with my weight. I don’t think it’s caused by Fiasp, and actually hadn’t heard it can cause insulin resistance until you mentioned it. The only issues I’d heard about were insulin pump occlusions and injection/infusion site irritation.

1 Like

Thanks Jen. It’s good to hear about your experience. I will try Fiasp again at some stage.

I asked the Ypsomed rep yesterday when I met with her about Fiasp occlusions. Her comment was that she wondered if the occlusions might be due to Ypsomed having a faster insulin delivery speed than Animas. I could be wrong, as I haven’t used Animas myself, but I think she said Animas allowed you to control the bolus delivery speed.

Definitely a nice small pump. The clip was much better than the clip I’ve got for the Accucheck combo and it survived the test I gave it whilst clipped to my waist band!!! Didn’t unhinge. Thanks for your photos too.

She mentioned that in Australia at least (where I’m based) the two way bluetooth functionality won’t be available for 12-18 months. But once that is through the approval process etc Ypsomed should be loopable. For some reason I’d thought it might have been closer than that.

Since I don’t want to give up looping just for a smaller pump I’m going to continue with what I’ve got now (till it breaks!!) and keep an eye on the pump market.

Thanks again so much for all your help and information.

Interesting about the delivery speed theory. I had Animas set to the fast delivery rate, but it seems like the Ypsopump delivery may be even faster than Animas’s fast rate.

I’ve been told that the pump with two-way communication might be available in Canada as soon as the end of this year, but I find that highly doubtful. Hopefully not too far off, though. The rep I spoke with said the next version will likely be free for those of us who took part in the switch program…and if that version is loopable, I would be very, very excited!

Like you, I am watching the pump market. I switched to this pump because it was essentially free through a switch program they had, as the pump is very new to Canada, and my Animas pump was literally falling apart. I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on the market to see if a good commercial loop system comes around (if it doesn’t end up being the Ypsopump).

1 Like

I’m guessing TSlim ControlIQ and Ypsomed (possibly integrating Loop or OpenAPS/AndroidAPS) will be the first easy to use fully approved looping systems. Although there’s Diabeloop in some countries too which I don’t know much about.

I’m confident you’d have no trouble setting one of the DIY systems up if you decide to go that way. I think the accessibility features are paramount. Hmmm You can use “hey Siri” voice activation to some extent with a system that works with iPhone and there would be other options for Android voice control I guess.

All iOS devices (and all Apple devices…and increasingly Google and Windows devices) have built-in screen reading software that speaks aloud everything happening on screen and/or sends on-screen content to a refreshable braille display. So it’s possible to use any of these devices totally non-visually. My understanding of Loop is that the developers built the apps to be completely accessible with screen reading software, which means I should be able to use it on iOS or other platforms even if there’s no Siri or similar support (with a screen reader input is done via the touchscreen, keyboard, or braille display).

Many of my posts on this and other forums have been done with my iPhone in my pocket using a small refreshable braille display over a Bluetooth connection to navigate the Discourse app or Safari to read and respond to posts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool indeed! I just loved iPhone shortcuts because I could do things really fast in just a couple of clicks. Eg. to ‘control’ OpenAPS could tap a button and then a confirmation button that told the system I’d just eaten 8g carbs to recover from a hypo and then also increase my BG target temporarily (say for half an hour) to allow me to recover from the hypo. Just loved the ease of that ‘2 clicks only’ rather than opening a system, then accessing one section to input carb and another section to increase BG target etc. Really impressed with all you do!

1 Like

Wow, that is SO COOL! I love the idea of making quick tasks like that! I will definitely set some things like that up if I start using Loop in the future.

1 Like