Zombie "pay it forward"?

I don’t know what to make of this thought, so here goes:

I was supposed to be dead or severely disabled by now, at the best guess of the doctor in the hospital where I was admitted and diagnosed. He was talking to my Dad. I wasn’t supposed to hear, but since I was pretending to be asleep, I did. “Oh he’ll be okay for a while, but they all have bad complications in 20 years or so, and after 30 years, welllll, you know”. That was 1977.

I guess I owe my life to big pharma, Eli Lilly made regular and NPH insulin commercially available, and it kept me alive. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I work for health care in general, thinking that I am somehow connected and any little progress or improvement I make can propagate further than company profits… maybe it’ll make it all the way out to the patients. A lofty goal perhaps but since I am not smart enough to be a doctor and help people directly, the best I can do is an indirect angle.

One of my better accomplishments was to work for one of the major US insulin syringe companies, and since I actually used their products, I felt very close to my core belief that I might just be able to help someone. I now work for a gosh darn big pharma/bio tech. So lately I have worked on some pretty good projects, for a company that, like many big pharma, does not in any way deserve my help but they do pay me…and dangle the “it’s not for us, but for the patients” carrot for which I do drive myself and respond, almost embarrassingly so.

The nice thing is: I got a chance to work on the engineering for an insulin producing factory, both fermentation and purification, which for me will be a direct positive impact on people’s lives and the closest I’ve ever been to making that connection to helping people in general and diabetics in particular. The second big project was for this new cancer drug and for this one, the fight was deeply personal. Like a lot of people, I have lost loved ones to cancer. I didn’t do anything big-brained, I just worked on the systems necessary for the stability of the drug, since it needs to stay way frozen once purified, and exotic refrigeration is one of my specialties. For me, even to have the smallest role in launching or protection of a new therapy is like giving me my own personal swing to punch cancer in the nads. Hell yes I am in, and this one I would do for free (but for the love of God don’t tell that to my boss).

Anyway, I was supposed to be dead by now. I’d like to think that the ones like us that were supposed to be dead, but pushed on anyway and managed to help in any way large or small, would help others who might also then live past when they were supposed to be dead and help in turn. It’s kind of like a zombie “pay it forward”. Which makes me laugh because of my love for zombie movies, but which also gives me hope that if we stop fighting one another and put it in our hearts to do something good, or just one good thing outside ourselves, that we could accomplish anything.

Thanks for reading, Love, Joe

i love your story
life
blog

Thanks for this blog, Joe; it was both fun and inspiring. I've also outlived my predicted date of death, but never quite thought of myself as a zombie. Now I do!

Well I am not a zombie, I mean unless some one knows differently, but like most of us who where diagnosed before 1980 I outlived my expectations, though I didn't make it easy to do that. Thanks for your blog, it was inspiring to me and I think it tells a great story. Now excuse me while I go zombie attack someone. LOL

I was also told that some people with type 1 live to be 40 lol, and now I'm close to 20 years beyond my sell by date, well, anyway.

thanks Joe for this! I'm glad you do what you do. I will always remember you being one of my first friends here.

I guess I fall into the zombie category too. Doctors told me I wouldn't graduate from high school. 3 kids and 20 years later, I'm still here causing havoc everywhere I go.

Joe, I love your story. Thank you for such a great perspective on our crazy lives with the big D.

Medicine and technology have made a world of difference of living with diabetes, thank goodness.

Nice post, tx. Pshh, don't believe Rick he really is a zombie

thank you all, for letting me indulge myself. your comments brightened my day.

Joe, i've had t1 since 1936
that's 78 years
wow
i must be a zombie, too