Medicare and CGM's

Yes Richard157 I know all about that (hahahaha) I sometimes do feel at the 60 range, but as you said it is the speed of the drop. I wish I could figure out how to get a cgm. My Blood sugar fluctuates in a weird way, because I also have gastoparesis. so my digestive system is out of whack which also makes me really need a cgm. I will figure out how soon. I am going to school (finally) to get a real Job to get insured.

2 Likes

The best thing to do is to write the Congress to encourage allowing CGMs for those who have trouble knowing their BG levels, and hope that it happens in our lifetimes! It would save Medicare lots of money, since we would not have to go to the ER or pay for strips to check BGs multiple times a day. My endo prescribed me 8 X a day testing and every once in a while, the Medicare people question it and give Walgreens a hard time in filling my
Rx. The strips we would need, if we had CGMs, would then save at least (for me) ** $5. per day, which is, for the whole year would be $1725.** There are ways, if we get behind them. It is my experience, when I write in favor of or against a bill or proposed bill, that gets a lot of support from individuals also writing…Voila! It gets passed!!!

1 Like

I’m all for everybody getting CGM’s but mine leads me down the road of testing 14 times a day. My finger got so poked I took a week vacation from it. No amt of hanging on the phone to medtroni and answering all their scripted questions. My deal is this . . . it does work, been over 6 months and I expect it not to work. My year up is in February and if it’s not replaced or fixed, I plan not to replace it even though my insurance will pay for it.

I agree! It is especially costly for the individual who is mostly on a fixed income!

I have written congress, and did just that. and medicare does the same to me through walgreens Suhen. (haha).
Sooner or later they will go by what a diabetic says, not all the people that don’t know anything.

1 Like

While Medicare still does not cover CGMs, some Supplemental Policies that are through retirement programs [such as some government retiree programs] might cover it. Check with your retirement plan.

Well after having good luck with a CGM, I have sort of given up the fight. Not completely but my head started hurting from the wall I was hitting with it.
I have been approved for an alert dog and am now waiting for a proper match.
I will keep annoying congress as much as possible.
Let’s face it my congressman no longer answers my questioning so I must be doing something right.
Trying to move Medicare is like pushing a string up the Matterhorn. The fight must go on.
When you show congress that CGM’s can save Medicare $40,000,000 a year sooner or later someone should take motice, I hope. That figuer comes from JDRF, a study they funded.

1 Like

Well here is an update on my being a true pain in the a$* with congress. A couple of weeks ago I sent a letter to each and every member of the House Ways and Means committee, all of them.
It takes about two weeks to get a paper letter through the quagmire of DC. Each of the letters were marked confidential. I wanted the legislators to actually get it in their personal hands or as close as possible.
This evening I received notification that another 13 cosponsors, bringing the total to 211. Most of the new cosponsors are republicans, about time.
We also now have a significant number of delegates on the ways and means committee which is where the bill is and has been stalled.
There are a total of 435 members of the House and at 211 so far we almost have half as cosponsors. Which if we can get the bill HR1427 out of committee would almost guarantee passage.
So folks want to help? I have done almost all that I can, call the members of the ways and means committee. Every call will help.
Did all these members jump on-board becuuse of something that I did? I’m not that conceded, but if my writing them all pushed just one to cosponsor, GREAT.
I could use a little help now. Do you need the names and numbers of the members I have them and will post if asked.
Look at it this way, we’re getting closer. When I started there was just under 100 now we are at 211. All we need to do now is get it out and on to the floor.
I have a good friend who has spoken to a number of the legislators and they all support the bill after being informed and he sees no reason it would not pass. But we need to get it onto the floor, for a vote.
Please forgive me as I am starting to ramble but this is important to millions of us.
Thanks for taking your time to read this.

3 Likes

This link says there is only one more House representative needed to bring the CGM coverage bill to a vote. I saw this for the first time yesterday (4/13). Maybe your letters did a lot of good. Thanks!

Who do we need to call and get on board still?

1 Like

It looks like 3 more joined on since yesterday! The count is up to 214. I still wrote my Congressman, as he wasn’t among the names listed. Diabetes is listed as the 4th leading cause of death in my county, with 11.8% of the population having been diagnosed with diabetes. I have to wonder how many complications and deaths could be avoided with better glucose monitoring.

2 Likes

Beast…, I think the magic number has been reached now. We can wait and see if there is a vote

Thanks for interest. To answer your ? call the members of the House Ways and Means Committee, everyone. Yes it is sort of a daunting task, but.
These are the only ones that can move the bill out of the Black Hole known as the committee.
A good place to start is with HR Brady the chairman, he is the big dog.
Like I said I can list them all but it will take up some space. You can also go to www.govtrack.us.
Type in their name and you get all the contact info.
Just one more step! :+1:
I should also comment on the best ways of contact
The Reps. First if you send an email not much stock/importance is assigned to it and it will most likely not get past an aid.
Second a personal phone. You took the time to call, their thought , if it is important enough for a personal call there might be something to it?
It’s washington.
Lastly a hard copy letter, people don’t send them any longer, again the time thing.
If you are willing to send a hard copy the importance to them is off the scale. I know that, that makes no sence but it’s DC.

2 Likes

Well folks we made it. Another 6 co sponsors as of today.
Bringing the total ( drum roll )to 220 :+1::boom::star2:.
What this means is tgat if it is moved out of committee to the floor WE HAVE ENOUGH FOR PASSAGE in the house.
This is a big day in my humble opinion!
On to the next step.

3 Likes

Ok, it is now time to light a fire under the seats (being nice there) of a few Representatives in congress. This I can’t do by myself because whats needs to be done is to blow up tgeir phone lines.
The only way alot of these guys move is by overwhelming public outcry.
There are tgree that are the most important.

1. Kevin Brady. 202-225-4901 chair House ways and means.
  2. Pat Tiberi. 202-225-5355 chair sub committee on Health, way and means.
  3. Tom Read 202-225-3161 original sponsor of HR. 1427 Medicare CGM Access Act 2015
    What is needed is for everyone and everyone you know to call these Reps. and voice support for this bill.
    I have done all that I can however small a part that I have had.
    Next week I will start working on the Senate Finance committee. S Orrin Hatch and whoever else I can think of annoying there.
    Time for another letter and ?
    Well time to spread the word and see how far we can push them.
2 Likes

If you have the names and addresses of the Committee members, it would be helpful. I will definitely send letters. Also, the count for co-sponsors in the House is now 222, which is more than half. Would hope that the JDRF Advocacy Group would be jumping on this as well!!

1 Like

Not a problem but there is a bit too many to post here unless they moderators don’t mind.
Or give me a place to send them.

1 Like

Lhovan, I have seen a link that gives a list of all the members of Congress who are co-sponsoring the CGM bill. I will look for it, but I may not find it now. Maybe you can find a link, so you will not have a long post.

This is a link to GovTrack for the CGM bill. There is a link on the home page to find out the co-sponsors. I’ll provide the links for both the House bill and the Senate bill.

House: Medicare CGM Access Act of 2015 (2015; 114th Congress H.R. 1427) - GovTrack.us

Senate: Medicare CGM Access Act of 2015 (2015; 114th Congress S. 804) - GovTrack.us

2 Likes

Thanks, Laddie! I was not able to find those links.