Silly questions

All is cool with me. I’m taking all opinions given under advisement (ie. I’m not acting on any of them :sunglasses:) and I did invite people to weigh in. It’s all just food for thought for me but I appreciate the sentiment.

What it boils down to is I’m not confident to change my basal either way at this point (and I really can’t be expected to be confident on day three) so I won’t be doing anything radical.

4 Likes

Well you certainly can’t go without eating. While I’m certainly not a doctor, and it seems my engineer-speak approach to discussing my thinking is coming across as pushy and authoritative, I don’t mean it that way.

I hesitate to offer any other advice or thoughts, given it may be dangerous.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I was just thinking perhaps you might not have had the chance to read our values statement
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/the-values-of-tudiabetes/34720

Besides our valuing diversity and respect, “TuDiabetes is only meant for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment”

And we are so happy you’ve joined us!

4 Likes

Certainly true. None of what we write here is medical advice.

But shouldn’t we be able to exchange thoughts on what we would do if we were in the OPs’ shoes, in any thread (not only this one)? Isn’t this where a lot of the value of the forum is? I know I am learning a heck of a lot by reading how others think, analyze and react. Better quality learning than what I ever get from my son’s endo’s office. As @artwoman was writing in another thread, with T1Ds the patient is the PCP.

3 Likes

I completely agree. I hope I have not discouraged anyone from participating. Everyone should be and are free to provide their thoughts but the manner in which they are presented is important. In my case I feel free to provide my opinions but I don’t feel empowered to offer my thoughts as the only correct ones.

5 Likes

I admit my basal is a little high cause I can eat a lower carb type diet with healthy lean proteins and not take any other injection of fast acting. I did that on my pump too. I have seen my blood sugar drop 100 point with activity.
For example I go to a movie and siting for 3 hours after a light meal. My blood might spike to 180. If I get on the treadmill and walk 3 miles I will most likely be around 80. Just getting the blood moving helps everything! I am so hyper sensitive to fast acting 1 unit hits me like a ton of bricks. I actually feel safer on an extra unit or two of my Trasiba. I need about 14 units total and needed 13 units total on my pump and kept a1c’s 5.4-5.7
No two bodies are alike you will find what works for you! But it takes time my 20 year anniversary is today.

3 Likes

My freestyle libre arrived and I’m now wired for sound. Didn’t hurt at all. I just hope it sticks in sweaty Australialand. I can get my first swipe reading in an hour. Beyond excited. I’m really a gadget queen. :robot:

3 Likes

Have fun! If it was available in the US, I’d have one stuck on me now. I’ve been following the positive comments since they were introduced in Europe a while back. Please report your experience.

I had to buy it outright from the company direct from their Aust. Website. I will try and claim it on my insurance, I expect they’ll cover part of it. I’ll have a lot of data to take to my endo so yay! If she wants that sort of thing. Don’t know what to expect from first appointment. I’ll let you guys know how I go with it.

I think most endos have a love/hate relationship with BG data. If you have none with you, they state that they can’t help you without more information. Fair enough.

But when you bring in a BG data for every five minutes @ 288 data points per day and perhaps covering 90 days or almost 26,000 blood sugar values, it can be overwhelming to analyze and communicate some actionable treatment plan. This does not count fingerstick data, pump delivery data, daily carb consumption, and exercise. It becomes hard to digest all that. Doctors are getting better at this but all this data is a challenge for them, too.

1 Like

@Terry4 is 100% right.

Two suggestions:

1. If you have a way to communicate electronically with your endo’s office, send the info a couple of days ahead. In fact, it is worth driving it over if you can’t send it electronically.
  2. Graph it for him (Excel or something similar), if possible adding other significant events on the graph. Understanding from a graph is extraordinarily faster than from a table of numbers.

You appear to be a very practical and cool-headed person. For many years I made a living sailing sailboats for money (all the way through college and a long grad school) - I have sailed with a lot of Aussies and Kiwis, many of which struck me as being cut from the same cloth as you are. Generalization? I am sure - either way, I really enjoy this type of personaility:-)

1 Like

Good point about sending data through. She’ll think I’m highly organised. I make pretty graphs with my data (it’s what I enjoy, ok). Yes, I’m a laid back Aussie (with a touch of medical anxiety thrown in).

The libre is a full point (mmol) lower but the first day of readings can be out. I love, love, love the arrows showing your trend. I’m sure I’m going to get a message to say “stop swiping so often, idiot” :laughing:

4 Likes

@Ali4, this is a wonderful record! I am so happy for you! As my great grandmother used to say for every anniversary, “cien y veinte anos y mas de buena vida” ([wishing you] 120 years and more of good life)!

basal adventures continued. I upped my nightly shot by 2u (now 12u), by all calculations I “should” be on at least 20u. At this dose I’ve seen very flat activity overnight, albeit still around 160-180 mark. According to my libre no spikes or troughs at all just a small but noticeable dawn phenomenon rise around 4am. I’ve seen a lowering of my avg bg over the past four days which is good. Fasting is also decreasing slowly from over 200 to 160ish.

My lowest numbers are also dropping from 150 to close to 100 ! That’s progress.

The basal appears to be flaking out by about mid to late afternoon I think. This would be in line with lantus only lasting 20 hours in some. Can it be taken in split doses ? I’m not worried about an extra shot as they are pretty pain free.

So all in all I’m on track I think. One thing I noticed last night straight after my shot was major muscle pain in my legs. Almost like dead legs? Very weak feeling, walking was hard. Weird feeling. It lasted about an hour but by then I was in bed. Feels ok this morning. I did feel achy in general yesterday in legs and in the arm my libre sensor is in.

That is great news! As are your lowest numbers dropping!

Yes, no problem at all. Lantus can flake out early for some - although there may be other reasons why you peak late in the day.

I have read people on the net complaining of muscle pain with long acting insulin. The typical remedy was to switch to the “other” one (Levemir ↔ Lantus). But I do not know if the connection was real or imagined. Others may know more about known side effects of long acting insulin.

In a slightly different direction, have you considered an exercise regimen to lower your insulin requirements? When my son comes off swim training, his insulin requirements double in a week. I am not suggesting exercise, only mentioning it as an option to be aware of. I know Stephen Ponder (“Sugar Surfing”) uses exercise as one of his techniques among the different resources he uses throughout the day.

It is wonderful news that you are seeing progress! Do you have any close friends with whom you can share this journey? Local family or support group?

No local support really other than the doc/chemist and I have the number of a nearby educator. No one in the family/friends have diabetes (well my mom might but is in denial) and I haven’t really considered exercise per se. I try to stay active all day with walking around my farm with my dogs (& treadmill when I feel energetic which is rarely). I’m hoping I’ll feel better on insulin and can exercise more.

Perhaps it would help to know that basal is delivered in very small amounts over a period of time. Bolus is delivered nearly right away. Am blown away that both kinds of insulin were not given to you by your doctor.

If you have a farm, then I am sure you get plenty of exercise already:-) We don’t have a farm here but we live in the middle of farmland. Half of our friends are farmers, and my sons work summers on local farms.

So I am guessing this means you don’t have many choices for an endocrinologist. In larger cities, endo practices come with a bunch of diabetes educators and dieticians. Rather than going to the local endos, we drive about an hour into the closest city to get to the diabetes clinic of a large pediatric hospital. My feeling is that it is really valuable to have both an endo you personally trust and a diabetes team that you work with. But I am not sure if you have that option.

Of course, self education, in the end, is best, since T1Ds must care for themselves. Beyond the books you have, another, more advanced, that I would really recommend is Sugar Surfing, by Stephen Ponder. We had started doing what he preaches before reading his book, but reading it crystallized a lot of our practices and made them a lot better. Essentially, what he calls for requires a CGM, and describes the processes you can use to constantly tune your treatment.

@Ali4, if your a1c is good then your averages are good, and this is working for you.

As another tool to consider, since you are so sensitive to fast-acting, have you ever tried using regular when fast-acting is called for? Sort of a compromise between fast-acting and long-acting. Maybe that would work for bolusing for you – especially if you have a tough time keeping good long-term numbers (like a1c) because sensitivity to fast-acting makes these tools difficult to use.

@Gary, I re-read my posts to make sure that (as I thought) I didn’t say that my way was the only way, nor criticize other’s ideas.

However, quite typically of anyone I believe my thinking and reasoning to be “right”. It’s what I’ve reasoned out, after all. I’d be kinda crazy to, in a serious manner, walk through what is logical to me and then declare that I thought I was wrong about it.

Perhaps you misread my passion about reasoning these things through as dismissive of others’ views? If so, that was not my intent.

Looking back through everything I wrote in this thread, I have no regrets or apologies. I was simply thinking through, out loud, what I think is going on with PemW, and based on my experience, what I think should happen. This sort of discussion takes place here all day long, every day. I’m certainly not the first here to be suspicious of a potentially ill-informed GP treating a diabetic with outdated protocols.