1 Shot good for 120 days!

I was on my Yahoo page today and noticed one of the top search subjects was "Insulin" and immeadiatly caught my attention. So I checked out what the search was and came across this article...Not sure how much has been out there on this but I had not heard of it before.

Some researchers have been working a new Long-Lasting Insulin Shot that could last for up to 120 days! Could you imagine only 3 shots a year...I'm hoping to see this in my lifetime! Take Care ~Schmutz

See the more on the Article : http://www.thirdage.com/diabetes/insulin-shots-breakthrough

Here’s two more write-ups. You’ll have to scroll to about the sixth article; the item immediately following reiterates the article your link goes to.

Interesting that the first piece talks about basal levels, leading me to believe that the subject shot is intended for exactly that (maintaining basal insulin) and will primarily benefit Type 2s. This could mean that bolus insulin would still be necessary for Type 1s.

I also couldn’t help notice the references to a “multi-million dollar transfer agreement” and “royalties”…

Either way, the shot would at least be a boon for pumpers!

Would you do the shot and then it would keep your blood sugar stable no matter what you ate and without fast acting insulin?

One of the advantages of pumping is being able to adjust basal for exercise, so this wouldn’t be a positive for pumpers. Can see where it would be a big plus for T2s who use basal.

Sounds like the real beginning of smart insulin… looking forward to it. Curious as to how it works though.

Hmmm… sounds strange to me! What if you give too much? Stuck fighting lows for 120 days!!! It may be targeted to type 2’s.

Unless it is like a Smart Insulin, as Stephen suggested.

Forget the insulin, how about a meal that lasts 120 days! Go shopping 4 times a year, 4 shots a year, we would look like sticks, or skeletons…or we could just stay the same!