1200 Calorie Menu day 4 - Fast Food

Last year I added “email counseling” to my nutrition practice. Best thing I ever did. People are far more open and honest when they don’t have to stare a dietitian in the face. The most frequently asked question is “What can I eat at a fast food restaurant and still lose weight?”.

day 4 of a 30 day 1200 calorie menu plan

Hot Topic: Fast Food

B: McDonald’s Egg McMuffin, coffee

L: Burger King hamburger, small fries, diet cola

D: Chick Fil A chargrilled chicken salad, diet Lemonade

Snack: McDonald’s apple dippers, carton of lowfat milk

1200 calories

47% carbohydrate
17% protein
36% fat

Related posts:
1200 Calorie Menu day 1
1200 Calorie Menu day 2
1200 Calorie Menu day 3

Do you know ANYTHING about the impact of carbohydrates on the blood sugar of a person with diabetes?

No, I didn’t think so.

The foods you suggest would raise blood sugar dramatically. People with diabetes should never be eating a diet that is almost half carbs.

Advice like this causes people to run blood sugars that lead to blindness, amputation and kidney failure. Please update your understanding of how carbohydrates raise blood sugar before you advise people with diabetes what to eat.

I’m sorry but you are mistaken. 47% carbohydrate is definitely appropriate.

Jenny,
Carbohydrates: Between 45 percent and 65 percent of your daily calories should come from carbohydrates. Ask any endocrinologist. This meal plan that I have provided is on the low side in regards to carbohydrate.

what is the total carb count–out of curiosity?

DAy three at 616 grams of carb…not likely–I am not a patricularly low carber (130-200gr most days), but 600 on a daily basis would be insane amounts of insulin–I’m not sure I had that many on my daughters rehersal or wedding day (WAG and correction bolusing)…

I’d have to take a huge bolus if I ate a hamburger and fries.

I can do a burger (no bun) and about half a small fry, but bread kills me even if I bolus for the “right” number of carbs. I am better off with the fires–and even better with potatoe salad.

Carbohydrate should not come mainly from starchy food.bread,rice,potatoes…It has to include vegetables.legumes and others.Fast food do raise blood glucose terribly…

Sohair, That’s true but this is just if nothing else is available. You can’t be perfect all the time. Sometimes, people want some other choices.

Yes it is true,we all do it from time to time.

Denise,
Glad you caught that on Day 3, It was suppose to be 154 grams, calories was typed in error.

Denise,
The carbs for this is 141 grams.

Marie B - Just a comment on a huge bolus - It’s true you would have to take a larger bolus - but that is the beauty of Carb counting - It gives flexibility.

wow,would not have thought it was that low…glad the 600+ was an error!

Looks like I ruffled some feathers. But now that I have your attention:

Healthy fast food: Burger chains
Figuring out the healthiest option at your favorite fast food burger chain can be tricky. Chicken may seem like a better diet choice than beef, but according to McDonald’s website, the McDonald’s chicken sandwich has more fat and calories than their regular hamburger – a decent choice at 280 calories and 10 grams of fat. But upgrade that regular hamburger to a Big Mac, and you’ll be adding more than 300 calories and 20 grams of fat to your meal!

However, even some old favorites can be healthier choices – once you know the nutrition facts of your favorite items, you’ll be able to make better decisions.

Healthy choices

1. Regular, single-patty hamburger without mayo or cheese
  2. Grilled chicken sandwich
  3. Veggie burger
  4. Garden salad with grilled chicken and low-fat dressing
  5. Egg on a muffin
  6. Baked potato
  7. Yogurt parfait
  8. Grilled chicken strips
  9. Limiting cheese, mayo, and special sauces

Unhealthy choices

1. Double-patty hamburger with cheese, mayo, special sauce, and bacon
  2. Fried chicken sandwich
  3. Fried fish sandwich
  4. Salad with toppings such as bacon, cheese, and ranch dressing
  5. Breakfast burrito with steak
  6. French fries
  7. Milkshake
  8. Chicken “nuggets” or tenders
  9. Adding cheese, extra mayo, and special sauces

i am really appreciating this, as there are many times i am unable to cook my own food, as i am out and about running errands, and would like to know the best choices for using fast food.

Diana,

A 45-65% of calories should NOT come from carbohydrates for a person with diabetes. That is outdated information.

People who are not injecting insulin cannot maintain normal blood sugars eating that much carbohydrate. People who are, are more likely to have hypos trying to cover that much carbohydrate.

Carbohydrate leads to much more weight gain for people with diabetes than it does for people with intact blood sugar control. For people with Type 2 a high carbohydrate diet will invariably lead to weight gain.

PLEASE do some studying about the health effects of cutting back on carbohydrates for people with diabetes. Several recent studies have found significant health improvements on diets that contain a lot less carbohydrate than what you are recommending. You really are harming people with diabetes by telling them to eat that much carbohydrate!

Jenny,
I work with several endocrinologists and a nationwide diabetes team. They are perplexed by your comments, as am I.

From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/HQ00384