1960's - 1970's DIABETES PHOTO'S

I always called that the “hangman” I got so tired of waiting for it to work and anticipating the pain that til this day I just take the top off the lancet and prick my finger. That’s all thanks to that thing! LOL!

Sorry I do not have a photo, but let me share the visual with you.

When disposible syringes first came out there was U-40 orange, U-80 green and then years later U-100. You had to match the color on the insulin bottle with the syringe to assure that you filled the correct dosage.

Were you a U-40 or U-80 user?

Remember that pic in my Drs office when I was going to the Childrens Clinic about 5 years after diagnoses.

LOL!

Both the Chemstrips and Ames Dextrostix could be read visually, or in a meter.

The colors you are talking about sound a lot like the Chemstrips. Put blood on the strip, wait sixty seconds, wipe off, wait 60 more seconds, then compare the colors. They were dominant brand from geeze, the early 80’s up through the mid-90’s. I bought a watch with a minute “beep” timer on it and used it for that purpose in the 80’s.

Tim.

Ok now I’m going to show how dumb I was when my daughter took Type 1 in 99. The Dr that she had said that since she was born missing her left hand (she was 11 when she took Type 1 I had had a pancres transplant long story short failed really bad and went back to pumping) and now had diabetes the best thing for her was an insulin pen. All I done was look at him and say, “hu what’s that?” He inturn looked at me and started laughing. I had never seen one and he knew it so he takes me down the hall to the lab and showes me an insuiln pen. Now here I was worried about how she was going to give herself a shot and all the gross things I had to do in 73. I was so surprised thst they had insulin pen and the ease that it took. WOW how things had changes in about 26 years!

I also remember that thing but it was before I was diabetic. When I was 5, I had a surgery for my heart and it was in 1980. I remember that thing because I thought it was a carpenter tape at first. But the 5 years old boy had a big surprise, the tape hurts !!!

AutoSyringe AS2C Pump (1977)
An old model Minimed pump along side, for comparison in sizes.

Danny, I used MDI for 61 1/2 years and then started pumping in June, 2007 with the Minimed 522.

I love this group and the pics are terrific! Thanks for getting this started Danny!!!

Some news from French archéologue Brigitte: she found a new old thing somewhere in her flat. I think it was to travel with Clinitest. But in which year? If someone knows…

and inside the plastic box:

Can’t really tell you the year but that’s what I got when I came home from the hospital to check my urine w/in 1973.

You are so right about the test tube causing burns. The tube which was made of glass would get so hot that if you did touch it you would get severely burned that sucker would get HOT! Surprised we where not required to wear heavy duty leather gloves like welders gloves back then or that they did not include them with the kit lol!
I was dx in 1976 and started on the insulin pump called the Auto syringe “the big black brick” in 1979-1980. Back then the word “pumping” wasn’t even heard then like it is so commonly used today.

OMG!!! This was my first finger sticker!!! I hated it! This picture brought back some memories that I don’t really want to remember!!

Yes! I remember that test tube caused burns! It’s so far in my memory!

I was diagnosed in 1945. Daddy used a whet stone to sharpen the needles. We had “hard” water from our well in the front yard. That water contained lime and other materials that collected on the needles when they were boiled in the water for sterilization purposes. That left a “burr” on the ends of the needles that had to be removed with the whet stone. Sometimes a burr was not removed and when the needle was stuck into my leg it would pop as the needle and burr would finally enter my skin. I was six years old when that started,. Those were the good old days. Lol!

It amazes me to this day with what little we had to manage our diabetes back in the day that we have come without any major complications! Yes 5 drops of urine and 10 drops of water was the mantra back then lol.
I am coming up on my 34th year with type 1 on July 23. Started on the pump back in 79-80 and still pumping. As the saying goes baby we have come along way!

I remember that one, it was sold seperately from my first brick, ah, glucometer, an Ames. My father would try to cut the strips down the middle, they were expensive and the insurance co refused to pay for it. I would rather use a straight pin than that thing, and I did, it’s a wonder I have feeling in my fingers!

Diabetes Health had a story about two brothers who were diagnosed 50+ years ago and they told about how needles were back then. They said needles today are hardly noticeable. I have to agree. When I was diagnosed in 1968 I think needles were somewhere around 24-26 gauge, a far cry from 32 gauge of today. So I agree with you on what you said about the “horrible needles” of today.

They actually showed me how to do this in a doctor’s office when they introduced me to my first glucometer. And I remember the day when we were buying test strips that were on sale (before they were covered) and the pharmacist said she thought they were going to be covered soon. She was right. What a difference!