A positive type 1 diabetes news story about football player John Chick

With so many crappy stories about type 1 diabetes in the news, I want to highlight this very positive story about the Indianapolis Colts' John Chick, a former CFL player and type 1 diabetic.

John Chick (left) was impressed by his time in the Colts' minicamp. "It's a team that works hard and does many great things on the field," he said. "It's a work-ethic team." - MATT DETRICH / The Star

Colts DE aspirant Chick knows perseverance

A Type 1 diabetic, he became CFL's top defensive player

By Phillip B. Wilson
phillip.wilson@indystar.com

John Chick's football path has taken him from Wyoming to Utah to Saskatchewan, Canada, and now to Indianapolis -- not exactly a natural progression.

But if the defensive end bought into doubt, he might never have played the game at all. Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 14, he has managed the disease effectively to earn a second NFL shot.

His first was a 2006 training-camp stint with Houston. But the Wyoming native, after playing at Utah State, sustained his career farther north and blossomed into the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Defensive Player with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2009. The Colts signed him in January.

He might be an NFL long shot, but such has been his life.

"I've learned a lot," he said of his initial Colts experience in June minicamp and organized training activities. "It's a team that works hard and does many great things on the field. It's not just because of natural ability that plays into it. It's a work-ethic team. You can see that from player to player. I'm very excited to be part of that."

Eleven of his 32 tackles during the last CFL season were sacks. But Chick, 27, didn't always line up outside at end, Roughriders coach Ken Miller said. The 6-4, 248-pound defender was strong enough to be used in the middle.

"With his natural strength and quickness, he certainly has an opportunity to be successful," Miller said. "I'm pulling for him. Selfishly, I'd much rather have him here."

Chick plays while wearing an insulin pump on his abdomen. It's protected by a pad and is activated by a set of commands, he said. Diabetics don't produce enough insulin to break down blood sugar levels.

Chick and Miller say the pump, which enables him to add insulin if his blood sugar is high, hasn't been a problem.

"It tells you something about his tenacity, his ability to stick with it while wearing that insulin pump," Miller said. "There was never an issue with that here."

Said Chick, "It's something I can monitor throughout the game. I got used to it and what works best.

"I've really enjoyed the last few years, getting to speak and raise awareness and hoping to motivate people who are dealing with this," he said. "It's been a privilege for me. I've always been told by my parents and those around me that I can do whatever I want; you've just got to believe in it. You do the right things as many times as it takes and you can live the life you want to live."

The Colts drafted pass-rushing defensive end Jerry Hughes in the first round in April, but the departure of longtime reserve Raheem Brock suggests a backup spot could be available.

"I've loved playing the last three years where I've been," he said of the CFL. "There's a lot of people that play this game and only a few who are (good) enough to play it at the professional level. I've been doing that. I hope to be able to continue to bring that here."

The true test will come in August camp and preseason games.

"He obviously has ability," Colts coach Jim Caldwell said during June workouts. "He's a guy who runs fast, a hard-nosed guy who has length and athleticism, so we're excited to see what he can do.

"He's a guy accustomed to overcoming adversity in dealing with very unusual circumstances and still being able to excel. That in itself gives him a different mind-set. He's focused and eager."

Chick said he preferred the Colts because of their history of giving undrafted players a fair chance. Key regulars who went undrafted include Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, middle linebacker and defensive captain Gary Brackett, safety Melvin Bullitt and cornerback Jacob Lacey.

"They play the best players," Chick said. "They have a lot of good ones. I'm just hoping to contribute."

Should Chick make the team, Miller vouches for his former star's character off the field.

"He's a tremendous leader, but as much as he contributed in the locker room, he was just super in the community," Miller said. "He's just the total package."