A question to ponder

Please do not ever apologize for the way that you feel or for what you believe in.

You did not lash out on anybody or sound “preachy” so don’t worry about it!
I have my own beliefs, and though they differ greatly from yours, I respect your faith and your strength.

Never feel badly about what you believe in! :slight_smile:

That’s a funny question to me. I actually think god gave me type 1 diabetes in order to save my life. I was a raging drug addict when I was diagnosed at seventeen, and continued to do dope for years. I came out of a dka coma at 19- the emt’s told my father that had the crackheads i’d been smoking with waited two more hours (they had already waited two days) or if I had been 29 instead of 19 I would have died. Eventually I figured out that doing drugs while being diabetic was GOING to kill me, and I think that becoming diabetic was a gift to me, in order to help me live a better life. I’ve been off drugs for four years now and I’m still sorta grateful everytime I poke my finger or stick on an insulin pump. Some days I hate it and i wonder too what i did to deserve this stupid disease, but when I’m praying every night I never forget to give thanks for the extra time on earth and the quality of time on earth i was given because of this diagnosis. My three year old nephew was just diagnosed with type one and so now I look at it in both lights - was i given diabetes in order to help my nephew cope as he grows, or was he given diabetes in order to force me to once again take better care of myself to BE the role model he will need? I guess it’s both. Love y’all.

wow. What a great story. You should write about your experiences more. Truly interesting.
Thanks for sharing!

Katherine…so glad you made it through that to tell us about it. I know it can not be easy. It does help to have dealt with something so huge in your life to keep things in perspective, I’d imagine. Your precious nephew is lucky to have you.

Yes Sarein… Even Jesus wept.

I dont think God created diseases I think they come to give us a sign that we need to change something in our lives. I think diseases come because of what we eat and what chemicals we are exposed to. The more we can get back to living life the natural way and eating the foods we were designed to eat then disease is way easier to handle, we feel better and life feels a lot easier.

The way i see it, in my case, is that God doesnt do anything. Hes just an entity that people worship, he has no say in how our lives are lived, and had no “predestination” plan. its not a punishment, just something that happened. some mutation in cells that caused my pancreas to stop producing insulin, which led to me developing Type 1 Diabetes. God, you can say, is just there, he doesnt control me. I control myself. I dont see diabetes as a punishment. Diabetes is something i have to live with no matter what.

I expected this thread to be controversial when I started reading, but have found it therapeutic. Thanks for sharing all your perspectives.

God shows love, mercy and strength as well as hardships, lonliness, and trials to the just and unjust alike. I feel like God gave it to me and not my identical twin because He knew I could handle all the hassles and issues related to diabetes. He gave me a wonderful son who is not diabetic and He is using me as possibly an experiment in the future. I give thanks everyday just to wake up and be the best person I can be that day. Diabetes is just part of the day.