A1C Below 6.0 without insulin or other meds? Introduce yourself!

If you want to lower your blood sugar levels period.

DO NOT eat: grain carbs, gluten carbs, starchy fruit and starchy veggie .

DO eat: non starchy fruit , non starchy veggie, seed ,nut & grass fed meat(eating meat optional).

I lowered my A1C from 5.8 to 4.9 since Nov but i really have no idea how i did it!

I have A1C of 5.5 average for 2 years now..... But, I still can't fix one small problem.. I exercise daily (walk/jog) for at least 2 hours a day (not at once LOL), and keep my sugar in the 90s all day long except..... When I exercise, I get hungry and need carbs for post-exercise, then when I eat those carbs, I end up popping to 140, which I'd prefer not to do. So, I end up walking again for 20 minutes to go down.. Any carbs I can eat that won't spike to 140.. :)

To Fraser: I would say that I am not necessarily always hungry, but as a runner, I always assume that your legs need carbs after a run, so wondering how to do that and keep the spike lower too? Of course, the easiest way is to just eat what I want, and then monitor every 1/2 hour and then go walk for 20 min if it pops over 130ish.. If I have the time, that's what I do so I can enjoy my pasta etc..

MM, you might want to check out Mark's Daily Apple. It's a site where there's lots of input about low carb and exercise. I believe they will say that your legs do not need carbs after a run...nor before it.

I'm new to this site. Is this group still active?

hi thought i would check out this group i just discovered this group and the title described me perfectly! only diet and exercise for me now after 2 years of T2 and at 5.6! as of last week!

5.6....AWESOME!!!!

Thank Linda! ive been able to keep my A1C at or below 6.0 for almost most of this 2nd year of having diabetes! I find it shocking that at my young age of 28 (at the time i was diagnosed) that i had type 2! ive heard all these stories of people at 25-30 being misdiagnosed as T2 when really they are T! but i guess they had my diagnosis right! i was just shocked as most cases i had heard of that were t2 were older individuals at least 45-75 yrs old and most younger cases were normally T1! OH how wroung was I! i saw a whole nother world in the DOC! wow!

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 (I'm now 61 yrs old). I've been able to keep my A1C at 6 or below with diet and exercise. But I've developed diabetic burnout. Learned that term just recently. It's harder to exercise and I'm getting sloppy with my eating choices.

1 Like

type 2...nor type 1 for that matter, has no specific age connection for the most part. You can be 13 y.o. with type 2....or 60 when first dx with type 1!!

Come and learn more about carb counting....share your methods....support, and be supported.
Where....chat "room" on home page.
When....Thursday May 29th.
Click on the attached link for more information!
http://www.tudiabetes.org/events/basic-carb-counting-discussion-in-the-tudiabetes-open-chatroom

I'm type 2 and have been for 6+ years and my A1C has been under 6 all that time on diet and limited exercise due to injuries, and still feel that carb counting is for Type 1s who control by matching insulin to the meal. Knowing the approximate carb value of your meal isn't a bad thing though.

Good to see that you are still active here Linda G - I know I haven't been. But - I'm still diabetic :(

Hey Ziggy...nice "seeing" you again.
Carb counting is what I do. I'm a type 2 and not on insulin. I need to know what is in the food I eat...I read labels, I'm aware. I balance what I eat against the insulin I have "om board" (as it is). Some foods spike my bg. I go low too....so in those instances, I need to know what will bring it up. Many Type 2 are carb aware/counters.

Hi Linda - I like the term you used 'Carb Aware'. I guess that describes me - I have a keyring magnifying glass that I use to examine labels in stores to examine the carb content of foods. I don't consciously total or add up all the carbs in my food but I have an awareness of whether the meal is low, medium or high. Although I don't have a meter and testing strips prescribed to me any more (NHS cutbacks - why should Type 2s need to test!)my records of the couple of years when I did test gave me a good indication of which foods spiked me and of portion sizes to use. I also have an interest in the GI/GL values of different foods. I assume you test your BGs Linda?

-------------------------------------------------------
Please join our community chat on Tuesday June 10th. It will be held on home page!
The topic...Metformin! Click on the link for time zone and RSVP.
http://www.tudiabetes.org/events/metformin-discussion-in-the-tudiabetes-open-chatroom
------------------------------------------------------

@missrobbie, which brand of bitter melon pills do you use?