According to my Dr. only 1 out of 18 diabetics that he sees wears a med id

My Dr at the Joslin started a questionnaire Jan 08 and he wrapped it up yesterday Dec 08. He asked all his diabetics if they wear a medical id and the results frustrated him.

Only 1 out of 18. I am guilty and part of the problem.

Dear andrew. Yes also guilty.

Not guilty , however over the 26 years years it has costs me ( I mean my hubby !!) a fortune ; I have had 14 k gold designers bracelets , even those do not last a " life time " ; I always outlived the jewellery , thank goodness …at my age it has become less important , now wear a chain and basic 10 k " thing " around my neck …with the hope this will out live me !!

i definately wear mine 24/7! you never know where you’ll be and what might happen and nobody has any idea whats wrong and your passed out bc your BS is so low. id rather be safe than sorry.

I’ve been among the guilty for far too long. I’ve often thought of getting something different, but the price tag usually makes me reconsider.

So this year I asked Santa to bring me a cheap $5 alert bracelet from the drugstore. I removed the heavy link chain, added new jump rings but kept the original clasp, and strung a few sparkly swarovski crystals on some .7mm invisible beading thread. Voila. A custom-made (inexpensive) diabetic alert bracelet that easily rivals those $50+ alert bracelets. Thanks to my local craft store.

I’m going to go pick up a few more bracelets this week and see if I can make some different ones.

Also guilty, but then I don’t wear any jewelry at all. I have a card in my wallet and the 1ce entry on my cell phone says diabetic on it.

Not guilty – been wearing one for all 28 years (confession – my mother made me do it; not sure I would have gotten around to it otherwise.). About 5 years ago, my endo had a med school student spending a week with him training. She noted that I was the only patient that she had seen with him wearing one. He said he really had not focused on that fact or that his patients were not wearing them. He said there were pamphlets/brochures all over his office for them. There were also pamphlets for all kinds of other things. Yes, we as individuals must take responsibility for having a medical ID. But, since your doctor’s survey indicates that so many do not, the medical community must let patients know how important it is to have one.

But for my mother’s insistence, I probably would not have gotten one in the first place and gotten so used to it. Thankfully, it has not been needed.

I have a road ID attached to my bike when I go cycling that is as good as it gets!!

I’ve always worn mine…Never take it off unless it breaks (it can happen). I usually forget I even have it on…Melissa, you should market your bracelets…they look great!

I didn’t wear one for years, but everyone I worked with knew I was a Diabetic. When I started traveling alone on business I got one and now wear it every time I leave my house.

I wore one 24/7 when I was in middle school…then after that i didn’t wear one until my dad got me one from Laurenshope.com…its customized with my name and everything =) i wear one everytime i leave the house now!

The problem is that not one commercial designer produces one that looks good. My gf contacted D. Yurman to see if he would create one for me but no response. She even said money is not an issue and he is an expensive designer. If only someone could create a nice looking alert then they would be worn more. Doesn’t need to be so medic looking.

Renee,

The question isn’t so much should a T2 wear one, as much as it is can a T2 get in a situation where he is unresponsive or unable to care for himself?

I’m guilty. I don’t wear one…I was diagnosed a little over a year ago and I didn’t think I needed one…I guess because I’m T2 I thought that. After reading this post, I will definitely look into it and maybe even create one for myself.

I love your bracelet Melissa! I love getting crafty and might just have to make one of those.

He should where but I’m not a good role model since I don’t have one

I wear a diabetes necklace now at age 25 but when I was younger I never wore one. I didn’t start wearing one until I had a sugar low at the doctors office one day. The nurses didn’t realize I was diabetic. I had to try and tell them. All I could say was NEED SUGAR. I was 18 when I had that episode.

It’s important for T1s to wear a bracelet because hypoglycemic unawareness can disable a person; paramedics look for the bracelet. If it says insulin-using, they will give glucose. Not taking insulin, the T2 will not have h.u. and is not subject to hypoglycemia to that extent.

I use the Medic Alert necklace. It is not elegant or classy, but it has basic information on it, including an id number and phone number that can be used to contact my emergency contacts and my doctors to get the basic information if I am not in a position to provide it. Medic Alert is not cheap (annual subscription fee), but they are supposed to have information available to me to help out if I get into trouble.

If he was my child I would make him wear it.