Acronym-mania

Hi All,

As a newbie to the world of diabetes discussions online, I find I am at a loss as to figuring out what some of the acronyms people use to describe various conditions/medical terms mean. "BG" and "BS" are obvious, but I was wondering -- is there a list out there that I can refer to that elucidates most used acronyms, as described?

Hope this isn't too silly a question. I don't text and... I remember that when I was in grade school, we wrote our papers out in long hand...!

You don’t look old enough to have written papers out in longhand! I hate to admit this but I learned to type on a manual typewriter-you probably don’t even know what that is! I don’t know if there is a list of acronyms but if you have one you want to know, ask away and someone will know. I’m a college instructor and because I teach online my students think they can use text abbreviations…nope!

LOL! Like that! I am old enough to have used a typewriter (the first one I played with was an old Royal my dad had, my fingers used to get caught between the keys), then electric typewriter, then word processor, then PC. I remember WordPerfect and the pre-mouse and pre-GUI days very well.

And… I very much appreciate your compliment regarding youth – but I was actually born in 1967!

Great list, John! It’s funny but once you get used to using acronyms you can sort of guess the meaning of some just from context!

You definitely look younger than you are (not you, John, the OP…lol). I thought that typewriters went electric somewhere in the early 70s though, so figured only people closer to my age (61) would have used the manuals! Yeah, it was hard work tapping those keys!!

Thanks so much for this list, John – I really appreciate it!

Oh my parents were somewhat behind with the technology – we didn’t get a color TV till the early '80s. And I think I got an electric typewriter AFTER HS, so that was mid '80s. If you can believe it, I still don’t own a cell phone…! (though I guess we’re going to cave at some point. The Jetsons will come to pass for us too)… LOL

Looks like I need to read what John wrote too! LOL! I’m with Zoe here you look like your too young to have done stuff in longhand! I gotta go write down what John said! LOL!

Well it was a while ago. My longhand wasn’t good then (left-handed), and it’s even worse now! Writing my signature looks nothing like it used to – I don’t have the patience to clearly write all the letters. It’s rather “slurry,” if that can be said of writing as well as speaking. On the other hand my father-in-law still has beautiful – legible – handwriting. Oh well…

2 more or are these called abbreviations ? :
CDE -Certified Diabetes Educator
CDA -Canadian Diabetes Association
I can delete , if both out of order .

TuDiabetes Glossary:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Diabetes_Glossary

Dr B = Dr Richard Bernstein a Type 1, and author of the “The Diabetes Solution”