Adding Calibrations on Dexcom G6. When in doubt leave it out?

My G6 tends to run a bit lower than my readings on a Contour meter. I mostly leave it alone, figuring I can sort of factor that discrepancy in, but, a couple of times, I’ve decided to add a calibration. For example, this morning my G6 said 159 and my Contour said 209. That seemed like a pretty big difference, so I added a calibration. A few hours later, my Dexcom was higher than my Contour (179 on the G6 vs 136 on the Contour). I’m now sort of concerned that my G6 will miss a low.

I haven’t had the G6 long enough to really know this for sure, but I wonder if the calibrations can throw it off. When I don’t calibrate, it seems to be pretty accurate, if consistently a bit on the low side. The 50 point misreading this morning was large but I have a feeling that it would have gotten back into sync on its own. By calibrating it, I feel like I threw it off. I don’t really have enough data to say one way or another but I’m curious about other people’s experiences.

Any opinions from people who have been using and/or calibrating the G6 a lot?

I still use dexcom G4, but I think doing calibration when trend is flat is best to access the accuracy. If big difference, I retest meter BG and often get reading closer to dexcom. So don’t assume meter BG is more accurate.

Anytime I see a number that is pretty far off, I will do 2 or 3 fingersticks to see what it really is.

Also, are you sure your meter is correct?

1 Like