Advice for sleeping with defective sensors

Your right, Tylenol is somewhat contraindicated. You taking a bunch of Tylenol?

1 Like

Yes, you do have to calibrate twice a day, which to me is no big deal. I used to calibrate many more times than that when I used a code, because the sensor was just reading wrong so much of the time.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to my diabetes care though. I want to make sure that my sensor reads correctly at all times. Before using a sensor I would finger test at least 8 times a day for decades, so just testing twice or 3 times makes me very happy.

You can start with a code and calibrate it after the warm up. Then you can calibrate again at 12 hour intervals or don’t. I prefer it so I’m not bothered by it if I can’t calibrate.
I only calibrate if it’s way off.

1 Like

Does anyone double-calibrate the difference? In other words, If your sensor reads 160 and your finger stick reads 120 when you calibrate it will split the difference and put you at 140 if you enter 120. Since you have a 40-point difference, if you enter 80 instead of 120 for your finger stick, your CGM will immediately put you at 120 (160+80=240/2=120), which is your finger stick reading. I don’t calibrate because I find that regardless if I calibrate or not, within 24-36 hours finger stick and CGM values come into close proximity, regardless of calibration.

I am just wondering because I have never heard of this tactic being used on this forum, however, I can’t believe that amongst us, a few people don’t do this, at least from time to time, or some hybrid version of this tactic.

1 Like

My sensors are never off amounts that large anymore, but I have started doing what you described.

1 Like

I knew someone would fess up to using this tactic :yum:

2 Likes

Not that way, I have done a double finger stick and used the average to calibrate.

I am pretty sure that I got the idea here last week. I can’t take credit for it.

Yep, I have a few nagging injuries that are exacerbated by old age…I use the generic Costco ibuprofen mainly for my shoulder…not what I would call a bunch though.

1 Like

I haven’t taken any pain relievers except for 600mg of acetaminophen when I had Covid. That’s not enough to cause a sensor problem.

Also these are not compression lows. Those fix themselves pretty quickly when the pressure is off, and the arm locations I use don’t lend themselves to compression lows. I’ve had the 7 day rapid decline lows which sometimes go to no data when I was walking around.

It is a mystery, that I wish I could have the answer.

1 Like

I think the problem is that there are a multitude of variables. If I have a sensor that only lasts 7-8 days, when I replace it I get one from another box of 3 because otherwise 9 times out of 10 the other 2 in the same box have the same issue. What is weird, however, is that after using 3 from a replacement box, I can go back to the box the defective sensor came from at a later date and the other 2 work fine. Another issue is placement. I only use my abdomen area in a straight line between my belly button and my xiphoid process as I am a side sleeper and that keeps me from getting compression lows. I have noticed that if I insert within about 1/2 inch from my xiphoid process, I often do not get the full 10 days. Lower toward belly button usually gives me the full 10 days. When my transmitter is reaching end of life, and is on it’s last couple of sensors, those sensors never make the full 10 days for me.

Bottom line is that I think there are certain characteristics that contribute to a shortened sensor life, but lifespan is determined by a multitude of factors and any number of combined factors can lead to a perfect storm and kill the sensor before hitting the 10 day mark.

1 Like

It’s twice a day for the first couple of days, then once a day thereafter. For me, it’s definitely worth doing!

I’m not sure this is necessary or correct. I generally have to do a calibration due to a substantial discrepancy maybe 1-2 times per month and I’ve ALWAYS seen that it responds in two steps, where the initial, immediate response just splits the difference as you say, but the next reading at the standard 5-minute interval will show the actual calibration value. So to use your example, for a 160 vs 120 discrepancy, it will immediately show 140, but at the next standard 5-minute reading it will show 120. I’ve checked this with others here when this topic has come up and they report the same behavior. I’m using the iPhone app, not a Tandem pump as the interface, but I think the algorithm is the same.

I am using the Dexcom app on an Android phone and no pump, strictly MDI. Mine has not corrected after the next standard 5 minute reading interval. Since I don’t use a pump, the calibration is not important to me as I am used to being at about 80 when I change sensors and the the new sensor starts in the 140-160 range but drops back down to my 80 range within about 2 hours without any calibration.

I have considered doing that, but find that the initial averaging response usually doesn’t last, and the Dexcom reading gets closer to the calibration over the next several readings. I also hate lying to it when I know my doctor can see it. The calibrations are my reality checks for him, and well as for myself.

The brains of G6 are in the transmitter so there is no algorithm on the phone or pump determining the number. The Dexcom transmitter sends out the same number to the pump/receiver/phone although it doesn’t necessarily connect with each device at the same time.

2 Likes

I’ve had some success with doing a restart with sensor that act really strange at startup, e.g. repeatedly shows B.G. dropping like a rock.

2 Likes

Had a long talk with a Dexcom rep on Wednesday concerning repeated sensor failures at days 7 & 8. The rep made several suggestions. Use the upper arm instead of the abdomen. After applying the sensor and prior to pressing the orange button, move your finger around the edge of the adhesive to make sure that it doesn’t wrinkle. Pinch the skin around the inserter (to make sure that sensor wire doesn’t go into muscle tissue) and only then, press the orange button. The rep also sent 3 sensors and a new transmitter. My transmitter is fine, but the rep said that they have had problems with aging transmitters.

I use the Tandem app, along with Xdrip+. I’ve silenced the Tandem app and I rely on Xdrip+ for all of my alarms. The Xdrip+ alarms can be snoozed for the entire night.

This problem needs to be reported to the FDA. If the sensor is only reliable for 7 days in some people, then Tandem pumps need to force those people to change the sensor after 7 days.

3 Likes

Started with Dexcom G5 several years ago, then G6 when they became available. I have never had a bad batch. What I often see, though, is the need to recalibrate a new sensor, sometimes several times in the first 24 and even 48 hours, but once I get readings consistently close to my meter, the sensor stays accurate until it expires.

Every body is different. I place my sensor on my abdomen – clean the site first with an alcohol swab and let dry.

I restart sensors from time to time to build up a small cache of backup sensors in case of supply disruptions, earthquakes, etc. Of course, after sensor retart, I have to recalibrate as if it were a new sensor, but once that’s done, it stays accurate for the next 10 days. I’ve had no interest to try 30 days.

The dehydration issue might be worth looking into. Otherwise my best guess is installation and location of the sensor on your particular body. If these failures are pretty frequent, I’d experiment with placement on different parts of the abdomen or even elsewhere. The product itself, in my opinion, is accurate after calibration and stays accurate until expiration.

1 Like

I noticed that I get the wild swings that you describe if I lay on it. Seems like the pressure causes exactly what you describe.

I try my best to place it in a location where it won’t get between me and the bed while I am sleeping. It can be challenging and I’m hoping that the G7 will be better!