Am I the only one thats bothered about healthcare providers having 24/7 access to BG numbers?

T1D is a lifestyle disease and sharing my 24/7 data can feel intrusive. Why has Dexcom changed their phone app requiring that you leave your location on? What do they need that information for? An endocrinologist with time to call you in the evening about a low you had earlier in the day sounds extremely dedicated. If you’ve been called more than once then it isn’t really working. My endo only wants to know if I have more than one low a week. Hope you can find a doc that you feel is on your side and that is willing to work with you.

2 Likes

Something is wrong with the app update that required the phone location to be on all the time for Dexcom. I find it difficult to understand why this updated app now has trouble communicating with my sensor. I’ve installed and uninstalled it multiple times in the past 24 hours and even lost a brand-new sensor which it told me to change and then refused to let me do anything. I pulled my sensor off and then had to uninstall the app AGAIN so that I could have a date with boyfriend uninterrupted with a loud alarm because the G6 app wanted me to install a new sensor. I NEVER had these problems with the previous version of the app. You should see the reviews on Google play for the G6 Android app. The reviews are horrible, and it’s interesting that this issue of not receiving data from the sensor is happening to both iphone and Andred customers. Not incidentally, I looked up Dexcom profits. In quarter 4 of 2020, it was more than 210%! You’d think they could hire a few more programmers so the app gives us reliable data.
I don’t understand why the app doesn’t work with new versions of phones. My phone is older now, and I’m apprehensive about replacing it. It seems most other apps, like Spotify, Neglix, Google, Amazon–you name it–doesn’t have trouble on new phones.

2 Likes

I’ve never had my doctor comment about a specific low but they make comments about the 1% low average. I do get annoyed about it but not too much. For one thing I brought up compression lows because it happens often when sleeping. I lay on the sensor, get a low alert roll over and its goes back to a normal number.

I asked my doctor how long he’s worn a dexcom, he said 2 days… I don’t think he really understands the quirks of how it works.

3 Likes

I think it may be your insurance plan. THey often dictate what can be Rx’d etc

Ya, much better than my always calling mine my drug dealer.

3 Likes

Well it depends on what you call a drug. I got into a little bit of an argument here once about weather insulin is a drug or not.
I think it’s not. It’s a protein. And really HRT.
But people will call Premarin a drug too.

Depends on your perspective.

I do say “ I’m going to do some steroids” when I have injections for an unrelated condition.

Any medication that is not OTC and requires a doctor’s prescription to obtain in the US. In Canada, for example, insulin is OTC so I would not consider it a drug in Canada. In the US it needs to be prescribed by a medical professional so I consider it a drug. So I guess I look at it from a medical prescription perspective rather than a political perspective.

The older insulin in the US doesn’t require a prescription. Hmmm…wonder why.

I remember years ago my pot dealer saying ‘Wouldn’t it be wild if you had to go pay another guy just to get permission to buy pot from me?’

3 Likes

I guess pot is not a drug in California because you can buy it for personal use now. No prescription needed. Just need to be over 21

I agree that this doctor is going too far.
I have to say, I’m slightly jealous, though. I consider my endo pretty good, but I’m certain he never looks at my BGs except when I’m sitting in front of him every 3 or 4 months at an appointment and then he just kind of scans them. This doctor is certainly committed and has all kinds of time on his hands! That that committment comes with a side of crazy is a major downside, alas.

Timothy’s doctor sounds like possibly a happy medium. I would appreciate texts with suggestions to take action that I could either follow or ignore.

I guess to me, it’s not so much the access that’s the problem, as it is that the access is being used to badger (and possibly shame.)

Livongo markets itself to me pretty aggressively. I haven’t gotten it, but I think it entails someone calling you when you go really low or really high (on their BG meter, not on your CGM). I have to say I find it unappealing because I assume it’s someone working off a customer-service script of some kind, but I don’t actually know.

This would bother me to no end. I once had an employer who had a son with diabetes and when I was late one day from a low blood sugar she started insisted I check in with her every time I arrive at work. I was so obnoxious about it that she eventually realized it was absurd and backed off. I would give your doctor a literal dose of his own medicine and call him every single day with questions about every tiny thing you do before you do it. See how he likes it! Of course, I did see that he threatened not to write your script if you cut him off so it’s probably not gonna get the point across. In that case, you have nothing to lose by telling him exactly how you feel. Good luck!

4 Likes

Thats a really good strategy, @Debby. We should have thought of that already. Its genius.

1 Like

I share my data with my doctor through t:connect. I upload my data approximately every week and I always upload data within 48 hours of my appointment. My doctor reviews the last 2-4 weeks of data with me when I am there for an appointment. She then advises changes in pump settings if she sees the need. My real time data using my pump as my receiver is not shared with anyone. No one has ever called me between appointments because of abnormal BG values. I just would not be able to tolerate that. I am happy with my current arrangement and I do not feel there is any invasion of privacy. Your arrangement with your doctor sounds more like what a parent of a young child would be doing – I agree totally with a parent having access 24/7 to a young child’s values, but in your case, this sounds ridiculous. Jane

I had them call me once because they tested my BG from the a1c sample. My Dex was reading normal, but their test read 43. They called to find out if I was dead. They sounded genuinely afraid.

But, nobody said anything while I was there for the appointment and lab work. We held conversations. I walked in, I walked out, I drove away. Nobody had any concerns until several hours later when they saw that number come back from lab.

IDK. I felt fine. I was far from dead. I felt a little cranky, looked at the Dexcom and it said I was cool, so I just moved on. I think they were shocked that such a think could happen.

1 Like

I had a finger stick read 29 once. No idea if it was accurate but I def felt low. It’s weird how we can get used to it.

2 Likes

Not acceptable. My providers only look when I have an appointment or if I ask them to.

That is a big problem and should be addressed in a frank discussion & then an instruction from you as to what both you & the physician should expect from their ability to monitor. It sounds like a parent/child interaction which is not healthy.

I’m fortunate that my doc looks at my stats more globally and typically those for a month or so prior to my appointments or labs. Also for a period of time when I switch meds or doses. And she asks my permission.

We T1’s beat up ourselves enough over blood sugar control, and don’t need any more expectations imposed on us. Your control sounds exemplary, BTW. Best wishes.

2 Likes

I would politely ask him to stop micromanaging you if you like him or her. if you don’t like the Doc - ask for a referral.

1 Like

My G6 transmits to the receiver, not my phone, since my phone won’t support the app. I used to think that was unfortunate, since it means that I have to deliberately upload data for my doctor to see it. Now, I’m not sure if it isn’t a good thing to have that boundary, enforced by my less fancy phone.

2 Likes

I do not share with anyone, let alone an Endo! What he is doing is absolutely harassment, and I actually think it needs to be reported to the relevant state authority.
Having someone behaving like that is akin to stalking, and there is controlling behaviour involved. If he threatens you with taking away scripts for Dex, I would flee, very fast, reporting him as you go. Under 3% lows is perfectly acceptable. Get out now! Run! I have not actually read anything more disturbing in some time.

1 Like