Any good breakfast ideas?

Whole wheat bagel with natural peanut butter, banana, and a drink…

Three scrambled eggs, a couple of slices of bacon, and 1/2 slice of toast

or Cottage cheese with berries, and almond slivers

or an Egg frittata, or an omelet, or most any egg dish, really

or Two Light Rye Wasa Crackers with cream cheese, and pepperoni

I never go up more than 15-20 pts. The less carbs in the morning, the better…

I love wholewheat toast with mashed avocado, low fat greek style yogurt with a handful of dried fruit and mixed nuts, and veggie and egg scramble in a pita for diabetics from Joseph’s Bakery. These are my quick, tasty and healthy everyday choices, maybe you’ll like them too.

2 slices of whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
1 cup of 2% milk
1 apple or banana depends on the mood and morning bg.
or
Cherrios W/ oj yes that says oj not milk it actually taste great!!

I have found I need a very low carb breakfast to counteract dawn phenomenon.

Flaxseed microwave muffin 1.25 g carbs

1 egg 1g carbs

1 sausage patty 0g carbs

Total carbs 2.25

Sometimes I substitute a second egg for the sausage which boosts the carb count to 3.25

If you are unfamiliar with microwave flax muffins here’s a link http://www.ehow.com/how_4436306_minute-flax-muffins.html

I usually add a little stevia to the above recipe.

They take only a minuite in the microwave and pop right out of whatever you make them in.

2 eggs & a tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 cups of coffee

I love hummus too, but remember it has about 15 carbs for a 2.5 oz serving!

You make the gang pancakes for breakfast and, by the time you get to sit down, everybody else is practically done. Not with this recipe! Make one big pancake and cut it into pieces. It tastes the same and now everybody gets to eat together!

Serves: 9

Cooking Time: 12 min
Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups packaged pancake and waffle mix
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups cored, peeled, and chopped apples (about 2 small apples)

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 10" x 15" rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the apples; beat well with a whisk. Stir the apples into the batter and pour onto the baking sheet.

3. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the pancake is lightly browned on top.

I don’t know patti, while it is convenient to make a single large pancake, I don’t beleive this is a good diabetic breakfast. I figure this to be nearly 30 g of carbs per serving (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php), almost no fat and no protein and that is not counting the syrup. And I actually think this would serves four people. Usually, two cups of bisquick makes 12 pancakes which serves four people, and my kids each eat about 6-10 pancakes.

Have you thought about adapting the recipe to be more diabetic friendly, perhaps using flax meal or almond flour? I like the idea of baking a single large serving, I’ve used that to make eggs and it works out a lot better than cooking up individual batches of a large “gang.”

I don’t mean to criticize, it is just I have diabetes, I don’t handle carbs well at all and this breakfast is all carbs.

Oooooo…I miss waffles! I used to make homemade waffles and eat them with spreadable fruit or fruit only yogurt or my alltime decadent fave…with nut butter and spreadable fruit.I loved the combination of crunchy waffle and warm gooey nut butter. Gone are those days forever for me! When I went shopping for kitchen things when I came back to the U.S. I pretended I didn’t see the waffle iron on sale!

I’m still in the “work a day” world, so morning are really hectic…I’ve got about 20 minutes to wolf something down and get out the door.

My solution has been “Publix” crunchy rice cereal (not sure what other equivelent brands would be). It’s 22g for 1 cup. I add 1 cup of “Silk” vanilla flavored milk (12g).

99 times out of a hundred my post meal BG is between 120 and 180 (not bad). SOMETIMES it’s higher if my morning BG is 160 or 180…but usually the post meal reading is up only 20 to 40 points, and it comes right down two hours after a correction.

Have you ever tried Agave Nectar on your waffles? Low on the glycemic index.

For Anne, are you aware of the dangers of high insulin. Whether you produce it or inject it. high insulin is just as dangerous as high sugar. Insulin is a growth factor. It stimulates heart disease …endothelial growth and cancer. Reduce your carbs, ala Dr.Bernstein recommendations and at the same time reduce the insulin input accordingly. You deserve normal blood sugars and normal insulin. Like blood pressure, just below normal is better than normal. Cut the carbs, cut the insulin, cut the meds and get the health. Love to all my Tribal Diabetics.com members.

Eggs

Fritata with veggies and Itallian seasoning (that’s the secret ingredient)
Benedict omlette - all the same ingredients without the English muffin folded into an omlette. Bernaise on the side, please
Boiled eggs for when I’m eating on the go
Huevos rancheros for when I’m not, generally without the tortilla

Hey,
I cant help but notice that everyone is going egg crazy at breakfast time! I also love to eat eggs for breakfast, as they fill me up until lunch, are low cal, quick to make and scrummy! But, I was just wondering what the recommended amount of eggs to eat per week was? Is there even a certain amount recommended? I’ve heard numerous opinions from many sources and I just want to be sure that I’m not overdoing it on the egg front, and that it wont have negative effects on cholestrol etc.

Other breakfast options:

Plain bio-yoghurt with chopped up fruits (blueberries are my favourite)
Grapefruit- seems to help my levels, and also fights mid morning cravings ; )
Porridge- LARGE oats. Takes a little longer to cook but worth it. I have mine with agave nectar (low gi) and a tsp of cinnamon (apparently also good for g/l)
1 slice rye bread with marmite

Breakfast is by far the best meal of the day : D

So I see all of you can eat carbs for breakfast… not me:( they don’t like me, and make my Lunch BS to high.

I buy Krogers Low Cab Yogurt, eat 1 and a Hard boiled egg sometimes with it.

Flax Pancakes are good too:) and have a egg with or Meat…

For whatever reason, I can handle more carbs at breakfast than at any other meal of the day. My standard breakfast -

eggbeater omlet
two slices of ezekial bread (sprouted grain) toast
52 grams of peanut butter
one cup of low fat milk
an apple

This comes in at about 65 net carbs and provides plenty of energy to get me through the morning and midday.

Maurie

I eat two eggs for breakfast every day. That means that I am consuming at least 14 eggs per week. My cholesterol is low as well as my triglycerides.

I heard that even if your fasting cholesterol is normal, it can rise after eating. So I have been eating two eggs about an hour before I get my blood drawn and my cholesterol is still without range.

So I continue to consume as many eggs as I want! I know this may not be the case for everyone, but I also think that the case against eggs is overblown.

Is there any way to mark a post as a favorite, so you can go back to it easly? I like this breakfast idea post and want to reference it on a regular basis without doing a search for key word breakfast.

Unless you have disabled this feature, since you responded to this post you will now receive an email when someone else posts on this thread