Any ideas on precautions to take with CWD and divorce?

I’m not sure if I am in a unique situation or not but back ground is I have been involved in a divorce for 6 years now. My son was diagnoised 4 years ago, and his father keeps pushing and having fits when it comes down to visitation. I have sole custody and we went with the pump for therapy a few months ago. Well dad is back from another tour of duty and upset at what the endo has recomended ( endo wants diabetes self care management classes for anyone who take care of our son no mater how beriefly, and 50 hours of pump training) He has done none but read mostly about type 2 and these bogus scam “cures” for type 1. I do not feel confident that my son will be ok with dad, nor is it fair.safe to ask an 8 year old to care for himself for 10 hours. My attorney suggests just telling him no until he gets trained, but I don’t think they understand his sociopathic mentality. Has anyone else had problems with this? how have you coped? Please feel free to add to this discussion.

Not the same situation, but I have two nephews with cystic fibrosis. When their parents divorced my brother-in-law got custody because my sister-in-law is certifiable, but she had visitation rights. This woman was an RN, but she didn’t give her sons their pounding treatments that helped them to breathe. Yes, she was nuts. My brother-in-law took her to court to have her rights suspended. The judge ordered a social worker be present to ensure the kids got their treatments. Can’t do this with the constant care needed for diabetes, but the courts can do things to protect a child.

Good advice from your attorney & you can demand it since this is required by the endo. I’d have the endo approve or disapprove when he completes training. Maybe you can brief the trainers on his sociopathic personality. Hopefully, he will learn & will be more open hearing it from professionals rather than you. Your son may be able to do more than you think. I’d download his meter after visits with his father so you have a record if he’s not being properly cared for.

Ive handled marriage and divorce counseling before, and it often poses certain complications when children have special medical needs and joint parent custody. I agree with your lawyer though… if you are not confident with your spouse’s capability to take care of your son’s medical needs…it is best you ask him to take the training classes. Maybe you can request your son’s medical team to talk with him. In that way they can stress to him the sensitivity of juvenile diabetes and how it can be life threatening if not handled and managed correctly. And if your husband loves and truly cares for your son’s well being, Im sure he will not take the risk and oblige to the training. I hope all will go well Julie…