Any negative effects from being on a low carb diet?

I literally just got Dr. Bs book in the mail today so I am looking forward to diving into. Thanks for the response I will read it with an open mind.

Another major factor for women is where they are in their cycle. After ovulation, your insulin resistance will increase b/c of hormones and will continue that way until your next cycle starts (mine doesn’t “settle down” until about 5 days into the next cycle). I have to increase both my basal and bolus insulin after ovulation. HTH.

The only negative effect of being on a low carb diet is that the diet is EXPENSIVE. And the fact that I couldn’t keep my weight up. I lost weight at a rate of 5 pounds every night, unless I ate entire cheesecakes every day.

All this was fixed easily when I went on insulin and began eating normal amounts of carbs.

Unless you are on insulin or using sulfonylureas, it is unlikely that you have any real concerns about lows. If you go low overnight and you wake up because you feel uncomfortable, it may help to eat some protein in a late night snack, it will digest over 4-5 hours and just give your blood sugar a little nudge.

Sue…I have been on a low carb diet for most of the past 10 years, and their is NO bad effect except losing weight and BG normal 90% of the time!Dr. Bernstien is the best!

My Blog

Great feedback. I did that too for about 9 months. Problem was I couldn’t stop the rapid weight loss. I was losing 5 pounds of weight a night. Once I got insulin, that problem went away, but my body weight skyrocketed.

I will figure out the best combo soon. Hard though because I never know what I am doing at any time and the temperature swings & rain make things even more of a challenge.

I love low carb. Been on it about 3 years. No negative effects. Doc/endo is supportive.