Any reason not to?

I’m a new type 1 diabetic who has been doing shots for 2 1/2 weeks. I went to a diabetes expo in boston this weekend and got some information about pumps and also integrated systems. I kind of feel like its too soon for me to start thinking about the pump, like I should go through diabetes boot camp first before even considering it – but I know this reason doesn’t really make much sense.

Is there any reason why a new diabetic shouldn’t try to go for the pump? I know you need to know your insulin to carb ratios, but isn’t it just as easy to figure those out on a pump as on an injection-based treatment?

Thanks!

I think a person can get the most benefit from a pump when they have a sound understanding of carb counting, how to calculate their insulin dosage, correction shots, etc. To use a pump effectively, you should know how to create varius basal rates, have a clear understanding of your changing insulin needs due to insulin resistance, physical exercise, illness etc. A pump does a lot of the work, but you are the one who (should be) setting up the parameters, and adjusting them as time goes on.

Laura, I say go for it! By the time you get your pump and pump training, you will be an expert. Don’t worry :slight_smile: Not to mention you can make much smaller, finer adustments on a pump.

I started pumping about 3 months after diagnosis, and I wish I had started much sooner. You will learn all about your basals once you start pumping, because Levemir and Lantus can’t adjust like the pump. You also won’t learn anything more about carb-counting by doing MDI rather than the pump. The only thing you will learn is where injections hurt and bruise. Oddly enough, when I insert infusion sets in those same areas, I don’t get any bruising or bleeding. I think the biggest reason people say you should spend time on MDI is b/c everyone else had to sludge through that miserable process, so why shouldn’t you? The only thing about it is that you have to test many times a day to make sure you don’t have occlusions in the pump catheter, that your insulin isn’t bad or that you don’t have a bad infusion set.

It isn’t a “right of passage” so to speak but it all comes down to your comfort level. I was dx’d at 19 and they wanted me to be on a pump as well but I was still getting used to the idea of being diabetic and changing my way of thinking about food, at 19!!! Are you kidding me, no I didn’t want a pump…BUT OTOH, hindsite is always 20/20 right??? Had I known about the benefits instead of tuning out the doctors/nurses I would have considered it but I still wasn’t comfortable with MY disease and had to become friends with it first b4 trying to “fight” against it. Whatever you decide, it is up to you to say what happens in your “diabetes” life and good luck to you :slight_smile: !!!

Laura,

I agree with the others. I started on the pump a year and a half after my diagnosis. So I had to learn how to manage diabetes with Lantus, THEN learn how to manage with a pump. While the basics are the same, there are some important differences and a lot more that you can do with the pump. If you are motivated, it might be good to learn the pump right away. You need to learn about carb counting and basal rates anyway!

The reason that I didn’t start was that I didn’t like the idea of being attached to a machine and having a visible sign of my diabetes. If I had known how much easier it would be to control things on the pump, then I would have started much sooner! That being said, not everyone loves the pump-- some people are able to control well with injections.

The only question I would have is: if you are still in the honeymoon phase, can you have good control with only shots for now? I know some diabetes start on only one shot a day. Perhaps a c-peptide test (from your earlier blood work) could reveal how much insulin your body is producing. But good control could make the honeyphase last longer (at least some argue this).

In the end, the decision should be yours! There is a lot to learn now, but there will be many people to help you. If you feel ready, then I can’t think of any reason not to start! The process will take a while anyway, deciding which pump and getting insurance to cover it!

Thanks, everyone! I’m going to try to talk to my doctor about this next time I see her and see what she thinks. I am supposed to be honeymooning right now, but I still need to inject at least 4 times a day so it seems like it might be worthwhile to switch. Thanks again for all the advice/opinions!

I think you’ll love it. Good luck!

laura, i have been a diabetic for over 25 years now and on a pump for about 7. the pump is one of the best things that i ever did. i would like to offer caution though. i have seen diabetics who went straight to pumps and never learned the basics. they depend on things their doctor or nurse educator programs in and then use the automatic functions. in my pumping years i have had my pump fail twice and both times went smoothly until i received the new one because i knew what to do in an emergency. remember what most pumpers call an emergency used to be daily routine. that said if you are willing to take the time to be prepared for the worst, i would get working on the pump immediately. good luck.