Anyone been reading Peter Attia?

If you have found statistics / research on the majority of lada being insulin resistant I would like to read that.. I have found very little online that suggests that, only two websites I think in the UK. And I have found very little about lada statistics overall, except that there are several versions of people's definitions of what it is. I just found one that says they're not insulin resistant. I agree with Sara, I don't take the term lada seriously anymore and it's also not an official diagnosis. Children can have slower onset type 1 and they can have type 2. Insulin resistance is in part determined by c peptide levels, I think.. if your c peptide is low and you have high bg you're prolly not insulin resistant. There are also tests to see what your insulin levels are but I don't think they're done that often. From what I have read, typical insulin resistance as seen in type 2 and in people with metabolic syndrome is characterized initially by normal c peptide levels with high bg and over production of insulin due to the inability to use it properly/efficiently for whatever reason.

Meee, as you point out, LADA is not a recognized diagnosis; I also don't think that you are going to find any peer-reviewed scientific studies that show the majority of LADAs having IR. And the scientific papers presented in this thread/discussion show that insulin resistance is found in obese LADAs/Type 1s (or better stated, both slow-onset and rapid-onset Type 1a diabetes), and not in non-obese T1s.

That is pretty much what I thought Melitta, so I wonder where Scott is getting the information from. The article I read didn't seem to say all lada have ir by any means. I have read about a case of severe insulin resistance in someone with type 1 online, I'm not sure when they deveoloped ir or if they had weight gain/obesity or not.

Thanks for the reminder to read the article. It was interesting; since I have T1 I've never spent much time reading about T2. I actually didn't see him state that weight and IR are related to different genetic issues - on the other hand he does talk about genes for IR different from genes contributing to beta cell failure (a worst case inheritance to increase odds of developing T2 would possess both).

In any case, he is certainly of the consensus medical opinion (and not a believer in Attia's theories): he states: "It is abundantly clear that the current epidemic of diabetes is being driven by the epidemic of obesity" and "Although the origins of the insulin resistance can be traced to their genetic background, the epidemic of diabetes that has enveloped westernized countries is related to the epidemic of obesity and physical inactivity. Both obesity and decreased physical activity are insulin-resistant states and, when added to the genetic burden of the insulin resistance, place a major stress on the pancreatic beta-cells"