Anyone go from Omnipod to Medtronic/Minimed System?

I'm getting pretty fed up with pod failures. I'm aware of most of the preventative advice (room temperature, filling slowly, etc.)--but I'm still having quite a few fail about a day after putting them on.

My endo favors Minimed and I'm not crazy about a tube-based system, but I'm going to check out the latest one with the CGM.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever made the switch from Omnipod to Minimed, and what the experience was like.

Thanks!

Paul

I’ve had lots of failures with one batch: the L40430s. I report them. They get replaced. It’s less hassle than a tubed pump.

Fair point. Thanks Belinda...

My doc really does not like the Omnipod in part because of the lost insulin. I do like that the omnipod is waterproof. And I've had my doc write the script for more units per day to deal with failures. Shouldn't have to do that, but there you go.

I switched from OmniPod to t:Slim and I am decently happy with it. There are a lot of features that I appreciate (waterproofness, ease of use, AMAZING...and I mean AMAZING customer service, ability to choose my infusion sets & angle) but I still miss the OmniPod from time to time because it was so "plug & play"

Ahh, well, we just have to try and do whatever is best for ourselves!

You did get the memo about overfilling the newer smaller pods, correct? This was the cause of my many, many early pod failures. Once I was made aware of that I haven't had another failure.

t:slim isn't really waterproof. It's guaranteed for 30 minutes at a depth of no more than 1m (3ft), but if you go swimming with it you will probably exceed that getting out of the pool.

The Omnipod *is* waterproof - you can flap around on the bottom of the pool for an hour (I've done this myself, though only for about 20 minutes).

More important you can snorkel with it and you can jet-ski, the latter mainly because it sticks to you and doesn't come off (particularly if you put a wet suit over it.)

I guess it really depends on what you want to do, I want to dive (well, ok, jump) into a pool and not have to worry. I'm prepared to put up with the failures with the new pods to achieve that; they're getting better for me at the cost of having fewer sites for the pods.

We have had nothing but issues with the new smaller omnipod and was able to contact support to get a replacement each time we had a failure, but that didn't exactly make our 3 year old feel any better. Once we got the approval from the endo for a Medtronic, we called the local Omnipod sales rep and told them we were leaving. After that call, we had a whole new box of pods sent from a "recent production run" and we haven't had a single failure from that recent set of pods.

It's unfortunate because we are still moving forward with the medtronic because (as someone that works in IT), we can't have a single vendor for something like this. Hopefully Omnipod realizes it's mistake and doesn't make it again.

I’ve had the new pods since January. The L40430 batch is a problem. I had very few failures with other batches & almost all of this batch fail.

I draw the insulin back out of the reservoir & use it. I don’t waste insulin.

Hi Belinda, I had loads of false occlusions with that batch number and in the end persuaded Ypsomed to give me replacement boxes which have been 100% fine! They annoyingly said that this batch was fine but I’ve heard from others who have had problems too. A little more honesty wouldn’t go amiss!

They replace mine, but I use them until they fail.

The L40430 batch--that's the one. 8 failures since August, so nearly a box out of my last shipment.

I fill no more than 200 U, that's what tech support said to do. If you're supposed to use less than that, would be good to know.

Lots of occlusions too, but it's hard to judge those. I think it's silly that the tech folks don't recognize those could be false errors. Anybody who works with computers gets false errors all the time. What the error message says doesn't always relate to the problem or they'd be a lot simpler to fix/avoid ;)

But judging from the responses, doesn't seem like many people go to a tube system. Thanks everybody!

My failures have been with L40420; 10 failures out of 28 pods, nine have been replaced but I won't ask for the 10th because it failed after more than 72 hours.

My best guess is that the new pods are far more sensitive to site-related delivery variations. My errors have all be "pod error" and I don't know any way of decoding the error code; the codes do vary.

It's quite believable that some batches of pods are more sensitive than others. While I had four failures (the first four pods I tried) on my lower back that site has worked well since. It looked like the PDM was adapting to the initial failures - each pod worked longer than the previous one.

It's annoying and if I was new to Omnipod I would probably have given up and sent the whole thing back (as I did with the Dexcom CGM, but then that was forcing me to get up in the middle of the night). As it is the advantages still outweigh the problems for me.

Insulet has an insulin replacement program (one Customer Service rep told me about it long ago on the old pods, after I had a few failures in a row and complained about losing the insulin). I haven't taken advantage of it, but you just have to keep track of how much insulin you've lost, dates of the associated failures and send it to them. Not exactly sure what they do to compensate you, but it might be worth checking it out.

I moved to Omnipod after 9 years on Minimed. I was Insulet's first customer for the Omnipod so I expect I've seen as many errors as most. I personally didn't like the Minimed system and would never go back.The pump was okay, but the manual priming, tubing and cannulas were so clinical. I suspect the reason so many endos like Minimed is because of the perks Minimed is notorious for giving endos. I was never able to use any of the straight in cannulas with the Minimed since 100% of them occluded. I used Silhouettes which were OK except for the insertion which I hated to do manually and the Silserter scared me. Even with all teh Pod failures (and their have been very few lately) I'm sticking with Omnipod. Andy T1 59 years

Hey, thanks a lot Andy. I guess one of the bummers of this is feeling like the endo is pushing me this way. It was my first visit to this particular doc and then the rep was basically included in my appointment. Sort of weird. Like something out of "Love & Other Drugs."

A small price to pay to having a tubeless pump. Have a long tube attached to your body presents all kinds of new problems. The new Pods they are sending out are not failing as much. You just have to stay positive and be thankful we're not walking around with a tail all day like with other pumps.

P.S Doctors work for us we don't work for them

+1 on the PS

I had a large supply of the old style pods that I wanted to use up before I switched to the new system. I'm almost through my first box of the new pods and I have not had any failures. I only fill with about 140u, so I never had to worry about staying below 200u. I was actually having more trouble with the last couple boxes of the old pods. I also moved to Omnipod from Minimed. I didn't have any problems with my tubed pump (it was the only option 14 years ago...) but I really liked the idea of a waterproof pump that I didn't have to take off to shower, swim, etc. I once drowned my pump at a pool because I was constantly in and out of the water with my kids. I was taking it off and putting it back on each time I got in and out. Of course, I forgot to take it off before I got in, and it was not happy! I will say that the customer service was great. I called them around 5pm and I had a new pump in hand by 10am the next day.

If you stick with Omnipod I hope your experience improves.

I am a recent Omnipod user after over ten years of tubed pumps (multiple manufacturers). To be frank, I didn't find the tubing a big deal and I had almost no failures in over ten years so the failure problem people report with Omnipod is quite different from other types of pumps. The Omnipod is working fine for me but I wouldn't be afraid of a tubed pump for your child. Lots of kids use them. Whether medtronic is the right pump is another story and I would tell your endocrinologist that you should compare the options. I am a physician and I can say that is your right and the endocrinologist should not only work with one pump company.

I'm getting to this discussion late, but YES, I am switching from the pods to Minimed!

I haven't been totally dissatisfied with Omnipod-- I've certainly had my share of surprise occlusions, pods failing during priming, etc. Even had my pod screech to a halt during my wedding ceremony! I've had a hard time getting a hold of customer service since the smaller pod switch, even having to place the same order three times. Used to be very impressed with their service previously, since 2008.

My changeover is based primarily on wanting a CGM that is integrated with the pump. If the Omnipod Dexcom pairing had panned out, I would have gone with that. My insurance is willing to pay for a new pump so I am going for the 530g/Enlite.

Another big factor for me is the cost of using the Omnipod-- In 5 years of podding, my insurance was not always spectacular, and I would pay $30-$45 per pod (out of pocket). When a pod occluded or the stickiness wore off before the full three days, I was S-O-L. I just don't have the money to spare.

So you can go from pod to pump! I don't begrudge Omnipod at all, just have to do what works for you.