Anyone have a pituitary tumor, high cortisol or calcium levels?

some of those things come from being overweight, like the lipids and the low testosterone and the low dhea and the fatty liver and the cortisol.

serum calcium is normal so it is odd that you are spilling so much but i dont know much about pituitary problems much.
Of course hypothyroid causes weight gain and fatty liver too.

LOw vit D is common for diabetics.Those other things could be a lot of things.

Maybe a second work up from a diffretnt doc would lead to other ideas

Hi Timothy, thank you for your reply!

I didn't know low testosterone/dhea or high cortisol could be caused by being fat. None of my Drs told me that. I was actually told to expect high testosterone because of my weight. How does fat cause low testosterone and dhea? Do you think trying to supplement to bring those levels up might help with the weakness (or any of the issues) I'm experiencing?

When I asked about the cortisol, I was told it could be from chronic stress, which I don't have. I like the idea that most of my issues could be caused by the fat, but what caused the fat in the first place? Do you think it could've been mostly from the insulin? I was taking over 200 units a day during that 5lb+ a week gain.

And why can't I lose the weight? I'm down to 60 units or less insulin a day now with symlin, metformin, the pump, and reduced carbs.

I'm down to 1000-1200 calories a day, no more than 60 carbs, and an hour of exercise a day 5-6 days a week. I'm still twice the size I was for near my entire adult life, the weight should be falling off!

Do you know if there's anything I can do to get my levels closer to normal and lose the weight? My hypothyroidism never made me gain weight like this before, I was always able to stay normal with the same or more calories/exercise that I've maintained through gaining all this.

My serum calcium was flagged high multiple times, including the 10.7. I think the upper limit was 10 or 10.2. It just wasn't crazy high like the urinary calcium.

All these tests were through 3 different endo's, they all saw all the results. Each expressed concern over findings, but couldn't give me any real answers or suggestions on ways to improve my situation that I wasn't already doing.

That's why I'm here, hoping someone knows about or has experienced similar things and can shed a little more light for me.

Thank again!

I had borderline high calcium at my physical this year, but it was so close to normal that my doctor didn’t think I needed any additional follow-up such as the parathyroid test.

I have read of diet coke causing high calcium levels in the blood. I have been drinking tons of diet coke daily, so decided that I would start limiting diet coke to one day a week and see if it makes a difference. I see my endo in December and will ask her to run the calcium just to see if it does make a difference. Phosphoric acid is the culprit. It’s in dark colas but not in most clear sodas such as Sprite.

This may be total bunk, but given how much diet coke I was drinking, it has to be a good thing for me to reduce my consumption of it.

I was going to eliminate it completely, but I find it is incredibly motivating to allow it one day a week. I also think that I can live with one day a week and not so sure that I could give it up entirely.

One thing I did find out is that I must not be sensitive to caffeine. I went cold turkey and never had a headache or any other caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

BTW- I don’t have any of the other symptoms you describe. I also am not overweight.

Good luck to you trying to get some answers for all of your symptoms.

Can I ask why you were on 200 units of insulin a day ? Glad you have been able to lower it since.

PCOS?

Hi Lathump! That's interesting about cola's, I do drink diet coke, though only sporadically. I hate the taste of chlorinated tap water at restaurants :-) I'll definitely try cutting it out and see if it makes any difference, it's nasty chemicals anyway.

Thank you!

Hi Josephine!

I was taking 200+ units of insulin a day because that's what it took to keep my bg in check. I was diagnosed with diabetes in February of this year and my Endo was adamant that I eat over 120g of carbs a day, and that was after fighting him down from 200g!

My ratio was 1:1 to 1:3 at best on MDI then, I'm assuming I had insulin resistance from the get go. My basal was very high as well, usually around 100 units a day. though it kept changing. All that and I would still wake up close to 200 or higher every day (but 80-110 the rest of the day).

I'm glad I've been able to lower it too, taking such huge quantities made me nervous! I'm sure it didn't help the fat situation either!

Hi Megan!

I think my Drs originally thought PCOS. When most of my hormones came back normal, but my testosterone/dhea was low, the idea was dropped. I had an ultrasound as well that showed no cysts on my ovaries. I didn't fit the profile other than a few of my symptoms. Sigh.

Thyroid & adrenal problems go hand-in-hand. Sufficient cortisol is needed for cells to uptake thyroid hormones. Low thyroid puts increased stress on the adrenals & causes adrenal insufficiency. So, you might not overtly feel stressed, but your adrenals could be over worked. Low cortisol in turn doesn't allow cells to utilize T3 thyroid hormones.

Synthroid very often doesn't help hypothyroidism. Contrary to what we're told, T4-only doesn't convert to T3 for many & higher Synthroid doses doesn't help. I did major battle to get on natural dessicated thyroid supplementation.

Did your thyroid panel include Free T3, Free T4 & Reverse T3?

Hypothyroidism causes lipid problems as well. That was my line of defense to use dessicated thyroid.

I'd run from an endo who insisted on higher carbs, not that I'd listen to that bad advice:)

You're right. High insulin doses effects weight. It's a vicious cycle of gaining weight from eating high carb with correspondingly high insulin doses & then needing more insulin due to weight gain.

Sure, lots. Happy to share what I know. Progressive thinking on thyroid ranges is at what levels a person feels normal & isn't symptomatic. Some argue that the ranges are too low, similar to doctors telling us higher A1c's are fine. Yes, possible to be off despite the numbers. I get results of my labs, if that's what you're asking. T3 should be in the upper third of the lab range. T4 close to the high end.

People were successfully treated with dessicated thyroid before synthetics. Can't patent & make big bucks on natural thyroid replacement. Synthroid is the preferred doc choice. The medical profession states synthetic is a more controlled dose--bs. I use Nature Throid brand. Armour's a biggie, but there were problems recently when they added new binders to the formula.

Thyroid supplementation shouldn't be taken 12-24 hours before testing. Haven't encountered many doctors who tell patients that.

I have high Reverse T3, which means T3 is being converted in an unusable form. Several possible scenarios causing this, including cortisol issues or low iron. I had a full iron panel & my ferritin is good.

The jury is divided on the effectiveness of adding T3, depending the Free T3/Reverse T3 ratio. Some believe it's important. Others that it's better to raise dessicated thyroid doses. I'm currently taking T3 (Cytomel) to see if it lowers RT3. Generic Cytomel isn't good & the branded Cytomel is crazy expensive. I'm ordering it from Mexico. No Rx needed & much less expensive.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com is a good site. Not very well organized, but good info. Also http://www.naturalthyroidchoices.com/. I've been thoroughly disgusted by the lack of help I've received & have been researching. For many years, I've been told I was fine based on TSH tests. My mother has Hashimoto's (I do also & was finally tested when T1 dx), aunts, grandmother, my sister are all hypothyroid. Gee, what are the chances I'm not? Doctors waved off my concerns & my symptoms. Like everything, we have to be our own advocates & learn all we can.

My research took me to the importance of adding iodine & using unprocessed salt with balanced minerals(Celtic salt or Redmond's Real Salt). http://iodine4health.com/research/flechas_2007_iodine_deficiency.mp3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLrBl1nva8&feature=related

Unfortunately, lots of misguided info that iodine is harmful. Iodine was used to treat thyroid problems for a very long time. It was also used to treat other diseases & conditions. Our diets are woefully low in iodine & it's needed by every cell. I joined http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Iodine. http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodine.html also has great iodine info.

Diabetes is a walk in the park compared to thyroid problems.

Hope this helps.

Hi Super Sally,

Thanks for the response! I'm glad things worked out well for you.

I was taking a prescription vit D for about 8 weeks after those tests came back. When I was tested after that and my level came back in the low normal range, I stopped the script and have just been taking a daily low dose over the counter supplement to stay there.

I would love to get an opinion from one of the Drs from that center, but they charge $1500 out of pocket for just a phone consultation. I would be ok spending that if I'm very likely to need the surgery, but I'm hesitant considering that I've had three endo's say my parathyroid is fine. Do you know of any other experts on the issue that would be kinder to my wallet?

I have read Dr Bernstein's books and have used very low carb extensively in the past for weight loss, pre-diabetes. I'm a little scared of going under 50g carbs a day now though. With the exercise I do, 50-60g carbs has me producing mild ketones, and anything less means I'm pretty deep into ketosis. That used to be my goal for fat burning, but now with diabetes, I'm scared of getting dangerous lows, especially since I'm taking symlin and metformin, and on the pump.

I keep wondering what would happen if I went low while sleeping, with no glucagon reserves, a drug that limits the amount of glucose made by my liver, a drug that slows the release of glucose from food, and a pump constantly delivering more insulin into me. How do you protect yourself in that situation?

I always get a full thyroid panel, and my T3 and T4 were both smack dab in the middle of the reference range. My TSH was low though, not sure what that means without high T3/4. I wasn't asked to lower my dose, so I assume it's ok.

It sounds crazy, tell the doctor to throw his 120g carbs into his own shopping trolley. Hope you get better very soon.

Thank you! I actually fired that Dr, he was pretty terrible all around. My new Endo doesn't agree with the 50-60c I'm on now, but accepts it as my choice.

Hi Gerri,

Thank you for the response! I don't know much about natural thyroid supplements, but I'll do some research. It sounds very interesting. How does the dessicated thyroid help the lipid situation? I'm very interested in that! Especially since I'd like to get pregnant and statins must be stopped before that.

Other than times I knew my dosage was off (too high and I'd get heart palpitations and jitters, too low would result in severe dry skin, coldness, 3 week periods), I never really thought much about my hypothyroidism. Until the last two years, I pretty much felt fine, looked fine, just on synthroid 150-200mcg.

My thyroid panels always have TSH, T3,and T4. I'll have to look for reverse T3, I'm not familiar with that. My T3/4 were right in the middle of normal, TSH was low. Dr didn't remark on it.

I actually have high cortisol, not low. Does that mean I'm at risk of going hyperthyroid?

I did run from that Endo, he was a terrible control freak, even when evidence showed that his protocol was harming me. Lowering my carbs to 50-60g a day has helped a lot with my bg control, but I've only lost about 15lbs in the last 6 months, and I'm still about 60lbs over my normal weight.

T4 should be on the high end of the range & T3 in the upper third. Many thyroid advocates believe that the ranges are too low. Thyroid supplements shouldn't be taken 12-24 hours before tests or it skews results.

Low TSH without high T4 & T3 can indicate a pituitary problem.

Without knowing your Reverse T3 level, you don't know if your cells are actually receiving T3.

TSH doesn't measure uptake of thyroid hormones. Many patients on T4 only have depression, bad lipid profiles, high blood pressure, low B12 & low ferritin.

Sorry the delay, snarkymonkey. Somehow I didn't get an email that you replied.

Being hypothyroid negatively effects serum lipids. Since most people do badly on Synthroid because it's only T4 & their lipid profile reflects this along with other hypo symptoms such as weight gain or inability to lose weight. Natural thyroid supplementation contains T4 & T3.

Glad you've had Free T3 & Free T4 tested. If you have a bad FT3/Reverse T3 ratio, you're converting T3 to RT3.

Right in the middle of normal isn't optimum. Not surprised your doctor didn't comment. He thinks that's normal:)

Was your cortisol high for every saliva reading taken during that test? Often, there's consistent high cortisol before adrenals poop out. It's a vicious cyle. Low thyroid pushes adrenals to produce more.

http://www.tiredthyroid.com/blog/tiredthyroid-main-site/ is a good site for info.

My mother took thyroid supplementation for decades & no doctor told her to take it on an empty stomach, let alone not to take before labs.

Another good site is http://www.tiredthyroid.com/blog/tiredthyroid-main-site/