Anyone yet have COVID experiences w Diabetes?

I watched a YouTube video with some experts the other day. One expert theorized that wearing masks impacts where the virus contacts your body which can impact the trajectory of the virus. Basically, by maintaining 6 ft of distance and wearing masks, we may still get the virus from aerosols… but if we do, that way of getting the virus may be less deadly. I found that very reassuring. I can post the link to the video, but it is quite long.

I’m just posting this because perhaps you could get it from your family, but if you keep your distance then you may even just be asymptomatic.

4 Likes

I definitely have. I have LADA. I tested positive for COVID on December 16, 2020. Four days later I was in the ICU. COVID pushed me into ketoacidosis. I didn’t even know I was in ketoacidosis as I was dealing with COVID symptoms (chills, vomiting, horrible body aches). Once the symptoms subsided my breathing took a nose dive in a matter of one day which sent me to the ICU. I was in the ICU for 10 days. Was sent home and I could barely walk. Couldn’t walk in a normal manner until a month and half later. Got off oxygen at the end of February 2021. My blood sugars were running high (over 200) even on 25 units of Basaglar (new insulin not one I used previously) and Lispro throughout the day with meals. My blood sugar levels started leveling out in the middle of March. I was also getting the feeling of my feet, toes and fingers being swollen. Yet, they were not swollen. They felt stiff and it was painful to move them. The nurses and doctors repeatedly told me “your feet and hands are not swollen”. In the years I have had LADA I never went into ketoacidosis even when I cycled off and on insulin to avoid weight gain ( I mastered that one). In a matter of four days COVID pushed me onto Ketoacidosis with no symptoms. The doctors in the ICU were shocked when I told them I had zero symptoms of ketoacidosis and no fever. a scary experience.

@mistermister – That is a frightening account of surviving Covid-19 with T1D. I’m glad you were able to give this account to us. The combination of the two conditions with diabetic ketoacidosis coming into play make me wonder why public health decision makers did not include T1D as one of the health conditions that qualified for early vaccination.

Are you still experiencing symptoms of Covid now, the long Covid?

Yes, I am officially a long hauler. I still get intermittent joint pain (which is terrible), deep bone pain (another terrible feeling), headaches, and fatigue. The shortness of breath comes and goes. I never know how I will be feeling from day to day, or even from the morning to the afternoon. Yesterday I woke up feeling quite fine and then around 3pm I started feeling joint pain and fatigue. It lasted through the evening until about 12am. The UK listed type 1 as high risk, even higher than type 2. I agree with your question as to why the CDC stated that Type 1 isn’t high risk.

I got sick in December. Started off with cold symptoms then horrible body aches. I tested positive almost immediately. Lost taste and smell on day 3. That was the same day the fever started. Lots of coughing. Still had a fever at day 10 but that was luckily the last day. My cough finally subsided last month.
I’ve been experiencing super high blood sugars since I was sick and have tripled my daily usage. I assumed it was just because of inactivity since being sick but now wondering if it’s a post covid symptom. I have an appt with my endo next week.