Are we seeing supply chain issues?

I got 1 bottle of Humalog. Took 1 month.

I’m going to Walmart for backup NPH and R.

I got 2 out of 3 vials of Fiasp this week. Pharmacist said the warehouse was back ordering the 3rd vial. His theory was the number of people ordering an extra refill this week caused a temporary hiccup in the supply.

Yea, my pharmacist just said the same thing. He expected trouble over the next couple of weeks. Plenty of the old fashioned stuff at Walmart - but, it was R and NPH.

In Canada, we’ve been continually assured by provincial and federal government, as well as suppliers and manufacturers, that there is no disruption to the supply chain. People have just been buying absurd amounts of some items. As a result, some stores and pharmacies are putting limits on the number of items an individual can purchase.

1 Like

My Fiasp scrip was filled just before all the work-from-home lock-out thing came down here in Boston, so I was all set. Same goes for our 3-month TP order, coincidentally.

1 Like

I haven’t had issues yet. I’ve got a healthy stock right now anyway. Figure I can always eat less and reduce my insulin way down if I need to.

I did get some 70/30 from Walmart last week, though. We figured better to pad the stash than not. Only got 3 vials, so as not to be greedy. I might get more on another trip, though.

You dont want it to go bad. 3 months probably more than sufficient for 1 person. They are having trouble from people over stocking right now. It will be fine in a few weeks.

3 vials is a one month supply. We always have a extra prepping just because we’re so rural. It’s hard to go shopping.

Holy cow!!! I wonder how many vials I need a month. I should double check my supplies maybe. I dont know…I dont need a vial a week. But, a vial might not last an entire month. I figured 3 bottles might last me a couple of months, at least.

I got a backup set of R and NPH. I know that those 2 bottles will, for sure, last a month.

I think the country has more supplies than the cities right now. The cities are having a tough time.

Check the expiration dates on the vial or package. My vials expirations date go out to 2021. I am in a major city as well.

I get 3 months of insulin at a time and it has not yet ever been delayed. I am pumping so I’m only taking humalog.
However I have pumped with regular insulin and I could do it again if I had to.
I have a script for lantus that I have yet to fill. I would really have a learning curve if I was going to use it.

[quote=“Timothy, post:11, topic:82356”]
I have a script for lantus that I have yet to fill.
[/quote]u

I prefer to have backup insulin on hand, and have Lantus and Levemir. Took it with me last travel and glad I did when my Medtronic pump died. Got a replacement pump from medtronic in about 48 hours, but glad to not interrupt vacation time.

Yes I prob should fill it just to have

My np ordered a new Rx of fiasp last week and I literally had it via mail order from across the country the very next day… I don’t think there’s a major systemic problem

There were just shortages around here when the pandemic started. This is from March 2020. Its because everyone was stockpiling. I ended up using that NPH after all. I was glad I bought it.

Where I live at the edge of beyond we are just now (but not at the beginning of the plague) having apparently random shortages of all kinds of medications and equipment, prescription and non-prescription. Ben-Gay and Radian B have disappeared, but some Swiss concoction has appeared to take their place. Aspirin in analgesic-sized pills (300-500mg) have disappeared, but there are usually obvious ways to get around this.

In addition, my HMO has recent rewritten their med-handling software, which has gone completely crazy. For real medications, only electronic prescriptions can be used. They appear in the Web accounts in two formats, with two different starting dates. The first starting date doesn’t work.

You used to need a prescription for pen needles. now you need a referral. (A referral? A referral to whom? To the district needle-sharpener?) The referrals are available only in paper format, which you have to pick up at the local HMO office. Who often lose them. The pharmacists have given up, and now give boxes of 100 pen needles on request to all comers, no referral or prescription needed.

You don’t need a prescription or a referral for pen needles. You can buy them on amazon.

And get them through customs? Into a country whose regulations you do not know? And pay x25 the price my HMO gives (I checked.) Before shipping costs?

I pay $10-12 for boxes of 100 and they arrive in 2 days free shipping… it’s not a big deal

At the moment, I pay $3.02 for a box of 100 (sometimes Becton Dickinson, sometimes fancy Swiss brands, sometimes Brand X) and they arrive whenever one of us goes to pick them up. It’s not a big deal either.