Bad transmitter?

Hi folks!

So, my first two weeks on the SevenPlus were AMAZING. I had almost PERFECT accuracy from two different sensors.

DexCom recommends cleaning the transmitter between sessions, so after I'd used it with two different sensors I soaped it up and ran water over it. (Not a great idea, I know.)

Ever since I did this, the accuracy has been terrible. DexCom technical support says it's probably the sensor, not the transmitter, but I'm suspicious.

How much does a new transmitter cost? Could I be right, and tech support be wrong? Anyone else ever had a similar issue?

I’ve never had a problem with the receiver or the transmitter, but I did have a bad run of sensors where the BG readings were completely off. So I’d say it is probably the sensor. You can call up the Dexcom rep for your area and they’ll normally send you replacement sensors free of charge if the ones you’ve used are bad.

I’ve also noticed the time in which the sensors are “fresh” isn’t that long. I’ve gotten sensors that were bad within a month of me receiving them according to the package. At that point I just call the rep and get new ones.

The little gray transmitter last time I asked my Endocrinologist a year or so ago was over $1000 and the receiver was $500ish. However, that could have changed.

Good luck getting it sorted out!

The transmitter alone is around $600, and is more expensive than the receiver!

The only thing I clean on the transmitter when changing sensors are the contact pads, using a qtip swab and some alcohol, best if it’s isopropyl alcohol.

In any case, I very much doubt that washing the transmitter would damage it, it’s definitely water proof, though I would not want to soak it in hot water.

Do what Lane says, and try a new sensor. Best of luck!

Ciao, Luca

Following what Luca said… I clean the transmitter with one of the alcohol swabs / towelettes that you normally use on your skin before placing the sensor on it. The routine I use is (this might be of some help for someone):

(1) wipe down sensor, set aside to dry
(2) wipe down skin for sensor, let dry
(3) using a new wipe, making an outward spiral from the location you’re going to use the sensor on out, then let dry.
(4) put sensor on and push in probe (the worst part is pushing the probe in)
(5) insert transmitter into sensor
(6) start sensor from receiver

If you’re still getting numbers it’s not the transmitter. I had a bad transmitter. You don’t get any readings just the out of range symbol on the receiver. If you upload data to the software, you have lots of yellow lines indicating no readings were received.

The suggested way to clean the transmitter (contacts only) is with an alcohol prep pad. All that is needed is to keep the contacts shiny.

aaronm

Thanks so much for all your helpful comments.

The accuracy finally got better after 3 days. I was just so used to great accuracy that I couldn’t believe how off they were.

Better to be realistic, I guess. Thanks again. The replies were so helpful to me!