Basal and Bolus

I am trying to figure out how to balance my basal and bolus numbers. As a percent I am usually a 60% for basal and 40% bolus. I have had them closer but my diabetes seems to be better at the 60;40 ratio. Of course my doctors aren’t happy about it. Could it be that my body just needs more basal then the ususal person? Idea’s and suggestions welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Cheers!

Yeah Lisa, I think everyone varies in what they take. I know I’ve been relearning how to MDI after being on an insulin pump for a few years. I was MDI 40 years prior to going on the pump - but I didn’t really know what I was doing - despite a 7% A1C. I think the lower A1C on MDI was due to hypos tho’ - as I had problems adjusted my basal dosage with Lantus. I also was doing and still am - 2 shots - a.m. / p.m. for my basal shots. Curious, do you split your basal injections if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m now using Levemir - despite allergic reaction - and I take a total of 13 units of it- and depending on what I eat - I average about 7-10 units of Novorapid (aka Novolog). So I guess a ratio of 57-65% for basal - and for my bolus it would be 35-43%. So, I guess I’m pretty much the same as you! Never looked at the ratio aspect of things - you just taught me something NEW :slight_smile: That’s what I love about Tudiabetes.

FatCatAnna \^^// from Diabetes1.org

Doctors are sometimes “stuck” in the middle of the road. I’ve always had a high basal to bolus ratio. When I went on the pump and read Pumping Insulin, I learned that people who are highly insulin resistant (as am I) will have more of a 60/40 or even 70/30 basal/bolus. Validation!!

Go by the numbers - if it’s working, stick with it. By the way, Pumping Insulin is useful even for those not on a pump. He explains how to do basal testing to fine tune it.

When I was doing MDI, I used Lantus twice a day - that’s the only way it would work for me. And I used Apidra. Neither Levemir or Novolog was not strong enough for me (high drug resistance all my life) and I wound up using even more units. For insulin resistant types like me, more units means fighting weight gain so I try to keep my doses as low as possible.

No. I am on a pump so I only use Humalog for both basal and bolus. Origianlly I tried both Novolog and Levemir but neither really made a huge difference and they were a lot more expensive as well. I went onto the pump because my blood sugars had no real pattern except for being out of control. Now they are a lot better but like I mentioned the 60;40 basal;bolus was a bit of a concern. There are lots of area’s I can work on but this one keeps getting my doctors attention. So I thought I’d ask diabetics since I seem to get better control knowledge than I do from doctors. Sometimes it surprises me how “text book” minded they are when diabetes is so personal and individual. Emergancy rooms are the worst, stay out of the hospital at all costs is what I’ve learned.

Haven’t read that one so I’ll give it a try. Thanks Lisa

Oh I have been a diabetic type 1 for 33 years and on a pump for 3 years.

I agree … if u find a combo that works, stick with it

I agree … if u find a combo that works, stick with it

My ratio isn’t textbook. What works for you is best.

Of course, by “numbers,” I mean your BG readings. :slight_smile:

Clearly everybody is different, but let me ask you the key question. If you skip a meal, do you go low? That is the biggest indicator that your basal is too high. If you follow a very low carb diet, a higher ratio such can actually be exactly appropriate. Think about it.

Yes, that is the point of systematically testing your basal at different times of the day, when you’re not eating, as explained in Pumping Insulin.

Thank you FatCatAnna,
If you don’t mind me asking, why did you switch back to needles from a pump? I just looked at your pictures on your site and I have to say I really enjoyed your photography and the stories they tell about you as a person. You obviously have a keen eye and see things from an interesting perspective and also a great sense of humour and ambition. Also curious about your boat and your pump, do you take precautions incase it gets wet? L

Ps
I can’t find the spell check on here and so my spelling is the pits! My husband took it off and now I can’t find it! LOL

I’ve been doing more experimenting with this concept of skipping meals and also testing 2 hours after I eat. Those are stand by’s for info but they do seem to prove things clearly. As for a carb diet, I try to stay in the 50 carbs per meal range which I think is pretty average. I went to my endo a few weeks ago and made some changes so it’ll be interesting to see the changes. Thanks