Best book on Diabetes for LADA in honeymoon phase

I’m about a year into my diagnosis of LADA, testing once daily, and still always in normal range. I read all of these intelligent posts and am as lost as I can be. What is the one book you would read to explain what is happening in my body and what I should expect in the future. I do realize we don’t have a crystal ball. I have lost 70 pounds in 18 months on a ketogenic diet, have normal hA1c, anti-GAD is off the charts, have insulin resistance, body is producing low normal insulin. Also, I am admittedly in denial and not at all happy about this diagnosis. I need to read a good book about diabetes and get my head out of the sand! Thanks!

It sounds like you’re doing all the right things. You’ve dramatically increased your odds of extending the honeymoon phase as long as possible as a result of the steps you’ve taken. I don’t know of any books that specifically address the topic of extending a honeymoon phase, but a couple of sources I’ve found invaluable in understanding diabetes as well as nutrition have been: Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving-ebook/dp/B004QZ9PC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497011198&sr=8-1&keywords=dr.+bernstein’s+diabetes+solution , Wheat Belly https://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health-ebook/dp/B00571F26Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1497011254&sr=1-1&keywords=Wheat+Belly , and www.bloodsugar101.com

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

The single best book I’ve found on diabetes management is Gary Scheiner’s ‘Think Like A Pancreas’. This book is the T1 bible (and T1, or course, includes LADA). He covers the “Honeymoon Phase” in Chapter 8… and he addresses the honeymoon phase in LADA. The book addresses the causes and progression of the disease, with a focus on insulin users - but it’s an easy read, and very understandable. Scheiner is a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) and a T1 himself. Even non-insulin users should read this book for a great intro (in layman’s terms) into the biochemistry behind the diseases known as “diabetes mellitus”.

w.

3 Likes

I will second @T1Wayne’s suggestion of Think Like a Pancreas. IMO, it is the best introductory book on diabetes, especially for T1/LADA.

1 Like

Thank you all!

“Think Like a Pancreas” is my vote, too, for practical help. The thing no book can really impress upon you is you get to be Dr. Frankenstein-- and the Monster. There is no substitute for experimenting to find what works.

It is frustrating for EVERY LADA! You only know anything by trying it and testing. Your treatment is going to radically change once your insulin production peters out. Until then, your insulin production is going to vary wildly. It will drive you up the wall if you let it.

There are only a few things you need to figure out to treat T1:

What do I eat and what is it’s carb count?
How much insulin do I need to cover it?
How do I determine when I need to alter my regimen?
How do I measure how I’m doing?

Develop habits of good carb counting. Have and use a scale regularly to be as accurate as possible.

Don’t compare yourself to anyone else: You aren’t them. They aren’t you. Since your treatment is going to change over time, even YOU aren’t YOU!

Focus on today. Once today becomes yesterday, forget it–unless you can learn something.

You will learn there is often nothing to learn: It’s just that freakin’ T1.

Listen to advice but decide for yourself–including THIS advice.

3 Likes

Just ordered the book! Thanks for your suggestions. I’m trying not to worry but it feels like I’m standing at tfhe top of a mountain of loose dirt and knowing it’s going to begin to crumble from under my feet and I’ll slide down…but when? I’m just terrible about even testing once a day. Hopefully when something changes I will be informed and will jump right on it. I already eat under 20 carbs a day and have lost 70 pounds as a result. Need to lose 12 or so more. The carbs will never be an issue for me. I’ve got that one! Keto for life! I’m just so thankful for a PCP who found this so early and scared the begeezes out of me. My end said he had never had a patient like me (in such an early stage who had already done Keto for 18 months), so he is going to have a good time watching me. I’m believing my honeymoon period will be until I go to heaven and then LADA will not matter! Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I also agree and glad to see you ordered Think Like a Pancreas. It s a great book for anyone using insulin. There is one other that is on my bookshelf that I use as a resource book when needed, Using Insulin:Everything You Need for Success w/Insulin by John Walsh. Another book on my shelf for when I need a refresher or to make sure I’m doing something right. Over he years I have collected quite the diabetes library.

1 Like