Best type of restaurant for a Birthday when diabetic?

My Birthday is saturday coming up ill be 32, well mom and dad want to take me out and it normally would be pizza hut but i KNOW thats out this year. Any ideas on where would be save being a new diabetic?

Depends on your location and what you’re into of course. I am partial to Fogo de Chao if you’re near one-- if not I’d look for another all you can eat type steakhouse, but that’s just me

1 Like

Why is pizza out? You can go to any restaurant you want to go to. Chain restaurants do have their nutritional information listed on their website which includes carbs for each meal. If you have a favourite restaurant that does not provide nutritional information, you my ask your Diabetic team to help you figure out how much each pizza slice would approximately be.

You’re technically correct; someone with Type 1 can “safely” eat anything (except for cookies … made with poison) as long as they pre-bolus the appropriate amount of insulin. Whether they will be comfortable with how high they spike after a higher-carb meal is another matter entirely. I’m wondering exactly what the OP means when she says “save (sic.) as a new diabetic”.

1 Like

I’m confused … you’ve made several posts (beginning in 2013) stating that you are “newly diagnosed”. When were you diagnosed? What type of diabetes?

1 Like

Because correcting for that damn pizza crust is not healthy. We make our own pizzas here with a yummy 4 carb pita as a crust…The fact that you can up your insulin dose to cover is not necessarily a good thing…Take care…and good luck…Judith in Portland…

1 Like

I have no trouble eating out—every menu has a protein source and some vegies…Choose your “eats”, have some wine, enjoy the Joyous family love surrounding you…

And go home and make the most decadent low-carb yummy dessert recipe you can find! Though you could start with that because your family might love it too!

It’s YOUR birthday. Take charge. Make it yummy and celebratory for You, and it will be for everybody else!..Blessings to all…Judith in Portland…

1 Like

I was falsy diagnoised in 2013, i thought i had put that on the old posts way back then. I mostly use the chat i been on here for years for my late husband. Sorry for the confusion. I am looking for a place thats safe to eat with low carb my maximum carbs per meal is 30 carbs. i can not just go eat pizza anymore. My diabetes is not yet controlled well.

A Mexican restaurant. Have fajitas with a lot less carbs. Fill up on a salad.

I eat low carb, but I basically consider that I can find and pick something at any restaurant. There are places that are just inherently low carb, like a BBQ joint. But I can go to a pizza place. I’ll just order a large pie and eat the toppings. What I will often do is look at the menu on-line before going to map out my plan. In the case of Pizza Hut I would actually probably get chicken wings. I love chicken wings and the hotter the better. But you have to be careful for the hidden carbs. Pizza Hut has a nutrition calculator and depending on your choice of flavor and sauce they can vary from 1g of carb to 13 g of carb for a single chicken wing. It helps to look at it ahead of time.

2 Likes

I like Mediterranean kind of places: Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern. Usually really good salads, interesting appetizers, good fish. Just stay away fro the pasta.
Enjoy!!!

1 Like

I love chicken wings too, and they’re dirt simple to make if you have a deep fryer. You can buy commercial buffalo sauce and spice it up to make it as hot as you like, but it, too, is ridiculously simple to make: butter, vinegar, and hot sauce in the proportions that suit you. The recipe is easy to find.

Actually this works well in the oven, too, but I like the crispy texture you can only get by frying.

1 Like

Dana Carpender has a recipe for “heroin wings” which are basically coated with butter and then rolled is spices and parmesan cheese and then baked.

1 Like

There were some Tostitos chips that came out a few years ago (which my store doesn’t carry anymore) that were really tasty, with flavors like Black Bean & Garlic, Fire-Roasted Chipotle & Baked Three Cheese Queso. I told my brother-in-law about them.

“Try these. I call them ‘heroin chips’.”

“Whoa. Those are good.”

1 Like

You CAN have a damn pizza. It’s fine. All food has damn carbs.

Are you Type 2 or 1?

Sorry it took me awhile to reply having a lot of health issues. No i can not have the pizza unless its ultra thin crust. My sugars are not yet well controlled and im type 2. I will check into what you guys suggested. Right now thinking wendys for a salad? but checking the sugar content and carbs on othe dressing? Not sure yet will check more into it we dont have a LOT of restraunts but there is also a new mexican one i havent been too. Is there a lot of hidden carbs and sugar in salads are restaurants?

It’s your birthday, you can’t go to Wendy’s and get a salad! Maybe have your parents cook for you :slight_smile: A salmon dinner with grilled veggies, chicken and asparagus, grilled steak? Or the mexican place should be good, just go light on the tortillas, chips, and beans. Salad dressing can be high in carbs, so if you can control the dressing then you are good.

@Blondie I certainly can’t eat any regular pizza, so I make my own that is very low carb. Good for you that you can. We all have to moderate our carbs to some degree and I have found yummy substitutes, since I only eat 25-30 carbs per day…

I do like @Brian_BSC’s idea of just eating the toppings—that sounds delish.

Hmmm been craving Beef Burgandy maybe ill make mom cook that LOL

1 Like