Blood glucose meters

Which type meter works best? I'm at a loss. I have a Bayer Glucometer Elite XL, a Bayer Contour and a True Track. The Elite registers 40 to 50 points lower than the other two. The Contour is the highest, and the True Track is somewhere in between. I'm flummoxed.

Please help!

I would eliminate the one that registers 40 to 50 points lower than the other two and settle with one of the other two, whichever feels more accurate. If they are reasonably close I would just stay with the one that is the easiest to use and which your insurance covers the strips for. Looking back and forth between 2 or 3 meters is a way to drive yourself nuts! All meters have some variance so I suggest finding one and sticking with it. But the other one away somewhere in case the one you’re using fails, or if it is convenient for you keep one in the car, at work, in a briefcase, etc and the other one at home. Just don’t keep comparing.

I am not familiar with any of those. Dr. Bernstein recommends the Aviva right now as his choice for accuracy on the low end.

I just got the Bayer Contour USB and I really like it! It’s small and the software for it is built into the meter, so you just bring it in to the Doctor and they plug it in and can see all your readings.
But I agree, if you want to use one you’ve already got, stick to the one you like the most. Comparing 2 different meters will make you crazy. TRUST ME slightly crazed look

The best meter out there is the one that will work best for YOU, and will give you results closest and most reliably to your true numbers. This is not something that is particular to one brand, but it is something that seems to vary depending on the person. For you to find the meter that best suits you, you should take your meters with you when you go get your blood tested at the lab, and at the same time they are drawing your blood, or just before you go in, get your blood sugar measured by these meters. The meter that most accurately and consistently gets closest to your lab result is going to be the best meter for you. It’s best to try a lot of different meters, preferably for free:

• You can visit manufacturer websites such as Bayer, FreeStyle, and One Touch
  • You can actually CALL a company, and request that they send you a free trial meter since you are relatively newly diagnosed. Arkray and Accu-Check are good for this.
  • I would contact my doctor or endocrinologist and ask him if he has free meters to give out to patients. Many times they have some around for people to use.
  • I would search around in the free section of this forum, because many people are often giving away meters they don't want, or lancets.

Keep in mind that other things can also make meters be unreliable: If you expose them to extreme temperature shifts, like too hot or too cold, if you need to change the battery or clean the meter, if you have expired strips or strips that were exposed to heat or cold... or if you have not washed your hands and dried them properly before testing. Make sure to always use control solution as well, when you suspect your meter is radically off.

Every meter is going to be DIFFERENT depending on the person who uses it. Aviva does not work for me, and neither does One Touch. Contour is always 15-20 pts off, consistently, so I can use it if I need to... but for me, Bayer Breeze2, and FreeStyle Meters (of any models) work the best. What works for me, may not work for you... So you need to find what works for you. Good luck to ya, finding a good meter that works consistently and accurately for YOU. :)

Thanks an awful lot. I guess I’ll keep one and put the other two away, and bring the one I choose in with me when they check me again. Good idea! I’m also about 20-25 pounds overweight now, I’ve lost 29 lbs and hopefully this very low carb diet is helping. By the way, a whole grain waffle with a smear of cream cheese is good for breakfast. Also 1/3 cup of Walmart’s frozen berries, (no sugar added) and about an ounce of Swiss also Thanks again, I don’t feel so alone!

I stay with the meter insurance covers. Also test the accuracy of your meters by peforming the dye test. Most meters come with test dye and a chart to compare the numbers too usually on the back of the bottle or test strip package. This is important to ensure your meters accurate. But strips can get expensive so go with what insurance covers unless money is not a matter in your case. For me its all anout what’s covered!

Well, congrats on losing weight! :slight_smile: Wonderful work. You may take all three meters to the lab, if you want to test them all. Sometimes, the one we think might be the good one is not necessarily the one. Doesn’t hurt to try em all. :slight_smile: (With the same blood drop)

If a whole grain waffle works for you, by all means! :slight_smile: I use my glucose meter to test which foods are doable for ME, and well… wholegrain waffles are NOT one of them. lol I can barely have any carbohydrates in the morning, and still keep at a decent level without spiking. I find most Diabetics are like this, as we are the most insulin resistant in the mornings, but we are all different… and we never truly know until we test. :slight_smile: For me, to meet my goals of being below 140 at 1 hour, and below 120 at 2 hours, this food is not doable.

You’re not alone on the weight loss thing. Low carb, along with intuitive eating, has worked wonders for me. I’ve already lost 73.5 lbs, and I couldn’t be happier… :))

We’re rooting for ya.