Brittany Danae Johnson, jail nurse gets only 30 days for killing type one diabetic

Brittany Danae Johnson, 27, will serve about three months in the Miller County jail for the death of Morgan Angerbauer. Brittany Johnson received a six-month sentence with 90 days of the sentence suspended at a hearing before Circuit Judge Kirk Johnson. She also received credit for one day already spent in jail.

"“I have watched the video of her banging on the door, screaming and begging for help,” Houser said of jail surveillance footage which recorded Angerbauer’s last hours in a medical observation cell just feet from the nurse’s station.

“She was lying on the floor of her cell with no blanket in her own vomit,” Houser said. “You refused to treat my child when you could have saved her.”"

Meanwhile if you get caught with a bag of weed or a few Xanax pills you are going to do longer then this calluses murderer cause they always protect their own.

2 Likes

Absolutely unacceptable, yet not unexpected.

1 Like

who ever employs her does not have enough money.

1 Like

Was it high BG that killed her?

1 Like

Per the article—they actually gave real, accurate info for once, yay for them!

Angerbauer died of diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition which occurs when blood sugar reaches dangerously high levels. At autopsy, Angerbauer’s sugar level was 813, well above the normal range of 70 to 140.

2 Likes

WTF Power trip to be able to deny treatment?

I sure hope the family wins against the nurse and the prison, that’s the only way any kind of justice will be done. It’s just so hard to believe these judges and prosecutors accept 90 days as being enough when she outright was responsible for causing her death. Just drunk driving nets the same penalty.

And Texas? Too many Californians moved there, because this sounds like a California thing to me. ( I lived there for 55 years, I can say that)

1 Like

What’s truly crazy is that when this “registered nurse” finally did decide to try to treat the poor woman, they GAVE HER GLUCOSE. Thought the meter was malfunctioning when it didn’t give a reading, not understanding that it was because the BG was too high for the meter to register correctly. So she also got her license yanked but god knows if even now she understands what she did wrong.

Again, @IgotT1, I think that jail is not the place for us.
Is everybody OK on that front? Or, are there some impending worries?
If there are, its best to be open about it so we can brainstorm a plan.

I’ll just say that concerns are reasonable. Last time I got very low BG, one of the officers was itching to throw me in the clink. I didn’t like that guy. He didn’t like me. So, despite my condition (I had bigger concerns at that moment), I was troubled when I saw him. There were some really goofy inferences and assumptions floating around about what was going on. There was a lot of creativity looking for reasons to ‘book’ me. A lot depends on the judgement of the officers that show up. I was lucky that there were so many who showed up and that some of them like me.

1 Like

Was she a “registered nurse,” or a licensed vocational nurse? It’s not a key point, but the two are not really the same. The article is short on key details, but on the superficial face of it, it seems that some charges are certainly in order.

The detail I was looking for is when the missed medical call the nurse referred to occurred? What are the specifics of that. It’s not spelled out in the article.

"Shortly after 5 p.m., according to Johnson, she walked past the medical observation cell where Angerbauer was housed on her way to other segregation cells," the affidavit states. "Johnson openly admitted that Angerbauer told her she was ready to go to medical at that time. Johnson also admitted that she was fully aware of the severity of Angerbauer's medical diabetic situation, but rather than treat her, she told her that 'things don't work that way. If you miss your medical call, you have to wait until it's time for your next medical call.' Johnson told investigators that if she allowed all offenders to do that, she'd never get anything done," the affidavit states.

A timeline would have situated the events more clearly. As far as giving glucose is concerned, as bad as it was, it probably was not the fatal blow. The fatal blow was time and the decision to repeatedly (if it was repeatedly) ignore the patient for so long. Very very very very generally, giving glucose, especially orally, in a hyperglycemic situation is not nearly as consequential as giving insulin in a hypoglycemic situation. (Oh and if someone’s unconscious you don’t administer anything orally, generally.) And what does it mean when the article says the glucometer was unable to give a numerical reading? Did it say “HI?” In that case, yeah, that’s egregious. In any event, the first thing that should have been done once the patient fell unconscious was to call 911. But in general, I find the article scant on key details.

This is the part that is so disturbing to me, she even says she knew the severity of her condition, the person is asking for help, what kind of nurse ignores those two things put together.

This goes in line with
I’m having a heart attack help me,
I’m having a seizure, help me, I’m having a stroke help me…
No, you have to time those things for medical call time only?
What kind of idiot thinks that. unless she was full of herself and her power to say nope you have to wait until I say so.

Which is why the penalty is not enough.

I’ve seen 10 year old boyscouts follow medical protocols more closely than that during an emergency situation. Honestly, I have. Now, he was an impressive 10 year old, to be sure. But, what does that say about the quality of medical professionals that end up working in jails.

I encourage you all to call your local county jail and ask what the medical protocols are for dealing with diabetics. Its not just good for us to know, its good to ensure they have refreshed their memories from time to time. Its a good exercise.

Lol…@mohe0001, I can see this one. What do you do with diabetics in jail??? No no, type 1 not type 2, no no I don’t know anyone in there, no I just want to know…no I don’t plan on going to jail…no sure switch me to them…and start over…and…

Not anytime soon!

Some are good, some are bad, some are really bad. Just like in doctors’ office and just like in hospitals. This is one case that made the headlines and outrage is an appropriate reaction. Probably medical care in jails is not the same as at Mayo Clinics. I think that much is obvious. I’ve known medical staff who have worked in jails and like and respect them. I work with patients who just came out of prison and they were in good condition with their oftentimes multiple chronic conditions in check. Most of the former prisoners I’m talking about were in prison, not jail, but some were in jails.

I know my jail nurse. She’s not a bad medical professional. She’s always been a good provider…since we were in high school together. I bumped into her once while she was running a marathon and she stopped, mid-sprint, yelled to me, and we worked together to help a person who was fainting.

That being said, jail/police culture is different than the general medical profession. But, jails/cops deal with medical conditions super frequently. I think they would feel better/deal with situations better if they were more like medics. I think the best cops were always medics first. They have a better understanding of the complex issues at play during a situation.

1 Like

This reminds me of what happened to ME in the hospital last year. I will keep this short (very short). I had a syncope (fainted), went to ER to get checked out. BG was 199. Not D related. Advised to stay overnight for observation. I agreed.

Moved to a 1 bed room (upgraded??) = NO WITNESSES! Next morning 2 RNs came in. One gave me Zofran for nausea (I did not have). The other nurse asked if she could give me my insulin, (8:06am), I said “yes”.

She then started giving me my insulin thru my IV-port. I lapsed into a COMA immediately. Only my hearing lingered for a time. Here I was unable to, move, speak or react, but she boasted to the other nurse, how she got me to agree to let her KILL ME!

Less that 4hr later per log entry the same nurse gave me another shot of Lantus insulin.

Then about 3 more hrs and they did a EEG confirming I was in a COMA. The horsepital claimed they did NOT put me in a COMA, & never did the EEG, Even tho it started at 1451, and “discontinued” at 1458.
How do you discontinue something you did not do/start.

MIRACLE, I suddenly came out of the coma about 3:30+ the next morning. 2 caregivers were leaving my room, said they did another injection (of what??) and when they reached my room doorway, one of them announced, “He’s a DEAD MAN” & they LOL w/someone in the hall.

They had disconnected me from the vitals monitor, so they did not know I had recovered from the coma. My room was dark, NOTHING was on.

I filed a case against them, but the judge dismissed it Sua Sponte, claiming it was a delusion, implausible and more. The hospital made thing a living HELL 4 me.

I had to seek doctors, OUT OF TOWN to get treatment, and even then they poisoned the Drs with FALSE info, the likes unbelievable! The hospital went so far as to claim I did NOT have Addison’s (new AI issue to my list), even though the same hospital tested me for Addison’s & was “POSITIVE for Addison’s” Go figure.

At least my diabetes is back in control, so is for my Addison’s (can raise hell w/BGs), MS ? New brain issues on recent MRI (managing so far) & more.

Thing are tougher, but I manage…

JDAVID

@JDavid I am so sorry to hear what you went through. Hugs your way.

1 Like

Thanks Marie20.
The horsepital was circling the wagons, even before I was discharged, BIG time.
They can (did) parade a string of Drs to LIE for them, to cover for each other. I was as if they were hoping I would suffer, go into AD crisis or such and be gone, done, exist no more. Ok like they were trying to set me up to die, I guess.

I tried to file a police report, the deputy REFUSED to take one. I filed a US district court complaint, the federal judge called it a delusion, implausible, and threw it out w/o a single hearing of any kind. He even went on and said in the dismissal, I had NO constitutional right to file a police complaint! The last I knew Michigan was a ‘duty to respond’ state.

No attorney would take it on, too big & complicated, and they do not want to become a victim themselves, I guess.

These BIG mouth TV attorneys only want cases that have already been tried in the media, so all they have to argue is the dollar amount.

What made everything worse, was their working overtime to obstruct my medical care.

You might want to look up Sheriff Steve Rand, Jackson county Michigan, he was/is soliciting a star for him to make a “snuf video”, where he puts a bullet in the back of the star’s head when I ejaculates. That might give you an idea how twisted things are where I live.

Oh BTW, I filed my now dead case, Aug 7, a little over a month before the VA insulin murders in WVA. They have a lot in common, except that I survived, and the FBI got involved in the VA insulin murders…

JD

1. Article dated 2017, just fyi.
  2. I used to know a woman (activist, now deceased) who had T1 and had been incarcerated for a period of time. She told me diabetes care in jails and half-way houses is deplorable. Anyway, when she died, I couldn’t help but wonder if the poor care she received for those years she was in jail didn’t cause damage to her heart.
  3. This article mortified me, and yet given the penal system in the U.S. with accompanying abuses, couldn’t say I am surprised.

Thanks for sharing…really gruesome though.

I hope the nurse permanently lost her registration or license - nation-wide, not just in her state.