I doubt it was bad, but I know that it’s possible. I should be pumping in about a month anyways assuming I can sort out the insurance nightmare I find myself in, so honesty even trying the Levemir was more of an experiment, and given all the Lantus news lately, I figured I should give it a try. It is good to know that it may not work for me though.
When I saw my CDE a week ago she said that most of her patients were requiring 40-60% more Levemir than Lantus and that I shouldn’t be too surprised if I did too (after just a week I’d increased my doses a lot on my own)… it seemed like I was on track with that, but at the time I’d only been on it about a week… the day I went in to see here though, my fasting # had been 256! I continued upping my morning and evening doses by a couple units, and that didn’t have much effect, so as an experiment I dramatically bumped up my doses the past two days with almost no effect at ll- in fact the first evening after doing so I was battling 300’s with no food on board, so clearly something was off. This morning (9:30ish) I was 214, after correcting a high at 3am. It really felt like all the corrections I’ve been taking her making up for missed basal coverage.
I’m 3 hours back on Lantus, and it’s funny how odd it seems to be in the low 100’s right now, not fighting highs I took more tonight than I used to, since I don’t feel like I had any working basal in my system already, so I took 14u and I’ll take 4u in the morning, and work my way back to splitting 50/50 over the next week. For reference, I took 30u of Levemir last night, and 20u this morning… my normal dose on Lantus was 9/9, and then 12/10 for the week or so before my period. I would normally also take 3-4u of NPH to help combat DP.