Camp New Horizons Diabetes Camp North was a success!

Just wanted to share what a great experience it was again this year at the ADA Camp New Horizons Camp North in Texas. I have been volunteering since 2008 and the kids have a great time. Here is our group page. Please join and share the love!

Tudiabetes rocks, what a great site this is.

1 Like

Diabetes camps rock! My daughter will be heading off to D-camp next month: her third summer. How the D-time flies …

1 Like

Allen3:

Couple questions if I may…

Far as I can tell, most D camps appear to be almost entirely unpaid “volunteers”. Understandable on some levels, even so… anybody get paid? I’d love to volunteer for the local camp here, but I literally cannot afford to do it. Frustrates me severely. I have serious experience teaching summer camps, but cannot volunteer financially.

In your experience, is diabetic camp supposed to be a camp to teach about diabetes, or merely a camp where diabetes is very, very common? Trying to get a perspective. Not sure they are mutually exclusive necessarily, but lets start the conversation somewhere…

Thoughts?

Hi Stuart,

Yes all are volunteers who love working with kids and are diabetic themselves or have kids who are diabetics. Most have been doing it for many years, me since 2008. I totally understand not being able to take the time off, I always took vacation time for mine.

The camp’s focus is on letting kids have fun while their diabetes is managed and they are in a safe environment. They actively learn and play and have a great time and most have been there since little kids and grow up and become CIT’s (Counselors in training). Luckily my company now gives us paid time for volunteering so now I don’t have to make a decision anymore every year. :smile:

Take care,
Allen

That is awesome. I went to D-camp 30+ years ago. I look back on it today and it was the best camp I ever attended. It also was the first time I met somebody my age that had diabetes.

1 Like