Can you change from Type 2 to Type 1?

Dear Jan. Where your BG horrible with oral meds only?

thanks for this info everyone. it really helps me since i was initially diagnosed a T2 by my pcp, then went into hospital later the same week with kidney failure and was diagnosed as T1.

Daena, Dr Bernstein in his web casts has referenced Type 2 patients who where very poorly controlled for years coming into his clinic that killed their beta cells and were left with virtually 0 insulin production. He classified them as Type 1 because of this. Granted, they didnt have an auto immune attack and the markers but since they had no insulin production left he had no choice but to treat them as a T-1.

You have hit the nail on the head. To so many people, Type 2 is associated with “irresponsible” lifestyle choices, even though there is no clear understanding about whether weight gain causes insulin resistance, or insulin resistance causes weight gain. It feels terrible to be type 2 and be blamed (even by other diabetics and doctors) for your disease, even after devoting huge amounted of time, energy, and willpower to become healthier. Even if it is caused by weight gain, the fact is that weight loss won’t often cure it either. Diabetes is much more complex than fat or thin, lazy or hapless, adult or child. We need to stop making and perpetuating stereotypes and assumptions, and spend our energy gaining better control and health.

According to the ADA, LADA DOES have some insulin resistance. See article published below.

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/other-diabetes-lada-or-type-15?page=0%2C0

:slight_smile:

I asked my endo the insulin question. he said early on type 2 have iinsulin resistance and the body still produces insulin so if a person gets more iinsulin i would think a person winds up with extra insulin which leads to weight gain. so in ttype 2 i thought we were being treated for insulin resistance

From what I read Wil there are various subsets of type 2’s. Some who can do it with exercise and diet ie David Mendosa, others who need the help of meds, where others have complete beta cell loss and are insulin dependent T-2’s. This is all in the spectrum of time and progression. There is more with genetics than is known.

T-2’s are insulin deficient and insulin resistant.

2/3’s of overweight people never go onto getting full blown diabetes T-2 and are able to compensate with their insulin regulation. The 1/3 of us that do have bad genes likely are triggered by our metabolic syndrome. I am in the camp of insulin being used ASAP if the other things dont work.

You are dead right, was blood teasted for type 1.5 AT MY REQUEST and even though I was a proven type 1.5 and orals were no longer working worth a damn had hell of fight to get endo to give me insulin. Finally had to have my GP join the fight, he asked why I was not on insulin when I gave him a copy of the blood test. Right now I am on Lantis & starlix but very soon will have to go on mealtime insulin and hope don't have to fight. I hope my CGM records will do the fighting for me.

they call this 1.5 in the UK, i went from being diagnosed with type 2 to 1.5 within 4 years.
its strange because I have a very healthy life style and when i get new medication it works perfectly for a few months then stops working all together. 1.5 is exactly the same as 1 but the only difference is its still classed as adult onset diabetes.

x

Here in the U.S. we also have Type 1 and 1.5. My educator consider 1.5 also as a 1. Either way you look at it it's all Type 1.

I'm only an expert when it comes to my D but I did have a friend who many years ago was dxed as T2. As years went she was treated with orals and insulin...fast forward to 17 years later when she became very ill and was hospitalized. Finally she was dxed as LADA but going so long without correct dx damaged her physically. She was treated by regular MDs I advised her to get an Endo.

The bottom line is that we have to advocate for ourselves and with the help of websites like TuD the word will spread to be proactive and advocate for you Diabetes such as you are doing Aeon.

Yes it’s called 2ry failure type2,it depends on which oral anti diabetic medication a person is using (specially those working by stimulating beta cells to produce more insuline),think of the beta cells as workers,the more they work the more exhausted they get.so oral anti diabetics medication working on beta cells tends to cause 2ry failure.
On the other hand some have so much peripheral resistance to the point they need insuline just to control.

Thanks Ellen085 it looks like an interesting sight, so I put it in a folder and will visit it later.

yes Cody, you are right and I was shocked at how my doctors never made me aware of that.
There are several drugs that can cause diabetes including glucocorticoids, steroids, clozapine, anabolic steroids, protease inhibitors, thiazides, and niacin. Check out http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/contact-us/4558-
Also some drugs can increase the risk of diabetes. Drugs like diuretics, antihypertensive drugs, psychoactive drugs and hormones. check out
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/issues/Issue_351/tool.pdf

Unfortunately type 2s are blamed for their disease. I believe that they are overweight because of their disease..take a look at the the information about the thrifty gene.

Although Jenny's answers is one of the most accurate on this thread, the questions was not answered, can you change from Type 2 to Type 1, for which the answer is NO.

What can happen is someone with Type 2 can become an insulin injector thereby appearing to the uninitiated that you are a Type 1, but diabetes types cannot change.

In an effort to get my diabetes in better control I am catching up with you all again. I am one of these modern day cases. I was diagnosed in 2006 as a type 2. My a1-c then was 12.9. I lost weight and stayed fit but, over time my numbers crept back up. 2 years ago I had the c-peptide test done and I forget the number but, he said I was very positive for anti-bodies. Since then I’ve been on a pump and a dexcom. I think diabetes is so blurred now it doesn’t matter the type. I try to help all of my friends with type 2 or type whatever. I agree type 2’s should get insulin sooner too. I was on every single oral med that we now see blasted on TV that we may have cancer for using… Love my insulin. I also took up running :slight_smile:
I’m 38 now.

I think a proper diagnosis actually matters a lot. Not only do you get more appropriate treatment but it can sometimes make a world of difference with your medical care and insurance coverage. If you get a diagnosis of Type 1 you will have early access to insulin and you will have fairly routine insurance coverage for things like an insulin pump or a CGMS. Just try to get a pump or CGMS from medicare as a type 2.