Canada: Disability Tax Credit

Carb counting varies widely. I definitely can’t just look at a food and estimate it without ending up with high or low BG afterward. I weigh all my food (including keeping a small pocket scale in my bag for when I’m out of the house) and am beginning to count protein as well. Reading the nutritional labels or looking up food in a database takes time, as do any calculations that may need to be made (use of carb factors, converting serving sizes, subtracting 1/2 of fibre or sugar alcohols, etc.).

If people don’t feel that they qualify for or want to claim the DTC, that is fine. But I don’t think anyone should be making others feel guilty or like they’re somehow cheating the system by claiming it. Everyone’s diabetes is different. Just because one person can successfully manage their diabetes in 15 minutes a day doesn’t mean that’s everyone’s reality.

2 Likes

Hahaha Tim. Love it bud.

Government should forget about trying to add up all the components of diabetes management. Make a decision - either a T1D qualifies or they don’t !!!

You can use PDFfiller to fill up the T2201 form - https://t2201-tax-credit-form.pdffiller.com. Or any other form on the web.

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum, but not new to living with Diabetes… Live in Canada and have qualified for the DTC.
I can help those who are looking to qualify, I’ve kept a copy of my forms and the weekly chart justifying the hours we spend on managing diabetes. There are some companies out there who will offer to “fight” for your approval for a 10-20% cut of your reimbursement. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.
I was blessed with a helpful chart to help justify the 14 hrs required and I don’t mind paying that kindness forward.
All you need is an Endo or GP who will sign and agree with your time justification.
Reply or email me I can send the paper work for free, just promise to pay it forward :blush:

1 Like

Where did you get this helpful form from? I’ve never bothered applying because I’ve never been able to calculate the time as they’ve said you can’t count the time you use to calculate your dosages of insulin?

There’s wiggle room in there. What’s not allowed is “activities related to dietary restrictions or regimes, even when these activities are a factor in determining the daily dosage of medication (such as carbohydrate calculation).” So you could include the time you spend assessing current BG, assessing the trend, assessing likely impact of IOB, and adjusting your dose accordingly. You could include time spent revising IC ratio or correction factor. If you use a bolus calculator, that total time is pretty minimal. If you do it the long way, it can add up.

Hi Virginia,

IF you feel comfortable with sending me your email address I can forward you the attachments (personal statement/ and the weekly break down)to compliment your application for DTC.

I was given the break down from my Diabetes management nurse who said all I had to do was make any adjustments to personalize the breakdown. She saved me with that info, and I’m happy to pay it forward to help others out as well. I would never have applied without her guidance and insistence that I apply. :blush:

Angela

stavroange@outlook.com

Oh, I do promise to help others as I have always done that. I am going to be very grateful if you could provide me with the charts you used as I have struggled with this for so long and find it more horrible than ever that we are so maligned in Canada. I do have two doctors who both would sign off for me.

2 Likes

So I have also sent you an eMail so you can have my eMail to send them to me for good ideas to build my own records, Thanks for your help.