Can't sleep

I have had this problem on and off and i think it all starts with the third shift job i had while back. During that time at that job i did what everybody else did… i cheated sleep, skipped it, whatever you believe when it comes to catching or not catching up to sleep. I remember staying up after work to hang out with friends and then crashing. BUT i did it!! Alot to, days of to much not enough to moving around sleep to compensate. Well i lost my job a year ago and i still can’t sleep! I don’t have much going on but i do keep myself busy, now the major problem this whole time of course is my sugars… My a1c is very very high right now i know. I would love to have the energy i used to have,etc, but sleep gets in the way. I don’t know how to fix it so that i can have a normal day. I’m about to start a job soon and i’m hopping being a schedule will help, but i’m also worried that i’m going to sleep through a day i have to work and i’ll get fired. I can’t say i’ve tried it all, but it hard to make yourself go to sleep after you’ve slept all day. plus i end up skipping meals and eating at the normal times i want to, and there’s the overeating.
I’ve tried:
* not getting enough sleep, staying up all day to sleep at night, but it hurts my head and it makes me feel half sick. To the point i can’t even drive or look at my meter straight. Then when i do go to sleep i still sleep to much
* i’ve tried sleeping pills, but they make me sleep just as long
*i’ve tried controlling my sugars, but if i have any lows i will keep on sleeping
*i stopped taking trazodone, i don’t know why, i tried using it when i slept all day and woke up at 6 pm i took the medicine at 10 and woke up at 2.

Now i’m afraid to take the trazdone in case it makes me over sleep.

I really want to start working, but could all this high blood sugar(which i’ve had for basically two years plus now) be the culprit? Should i not work and wait till i can fix this? (i can afford to do that). Oversleeping or not sleeping makes it really hard to be a good diabetic. :’( I feel quite distraght about this.

any ideas or thoughts or comfort are appreciated, i see my doc on tuesday

i agree the tv and computer take up alot of my time. I’m like wired, but then when there gone i feel kinda too alone :o hmmm that is a hard habit to give up yikes

I worked a second shift job for about 4 years back in my 20s and I am total night owl. It is hard for me to fall asleep before a certain time unless I completely have exhausted myself and it isn’t my blood sugars either. I can lie in bed for an hour or two before I fall asleep. Than of course I am the crabbyist morning person ever! But it has always been like this for me. And yeah, I have worked jobs where I had to start at 7am - you get used it eventually but it does take time. I still want to stay up later even when I have that schedule.

Keep in mind too and whether or not we are larks or night owls depends on our body temps. Some people just are night owls and some can’t stay awake past 9pm. I like being a night owl actually but I know it doesn’t go with a daytime job schedule very well. It can be hard to manage. I haven’t been able to change my ‘night owl’ tendencies too well. I try to make myself go to sleep at midnight at the latest but I often will not fall asleep until like an hour or so later.

can’t help it. My mind and body honestly are more at their peak later in the day and evening.

I worked in night clubs for over 15 years so I understand how you feel. You have basicly reset your internal clock. Early on I noticed that it seemed that the only thing I ever did was work and sleep and let me tell you I could really do some sleeping. I was sleeping my life away. I learned that just because I did not have to get up early for work didn’t mean that I could live without an alarm clock. No matter what time I went to bed I would always count off 7 to 8 hours and set the alarm. I found that I felt better with the right amount of sleep and had more free time. Sleeping too much can make you feel just as tired as not enough sleep. That was 25 years ago and even now if I do not watch the time in the evenings I will stay up til 3 or 4 a.m. before I know it. Now that I am single it is even harder to make myself go to sleep. I find that when I have trouble getting to sleep I turn on the old TV, set the timer, get in bed, and get good and comfortable. I find that I can usually fall asleep with in the hour. The TV distracts me from thinking about trying to sleep and also keeps me from thinking too much about the stresses of the day. Sitcom reruns are the best. No movies, they will keep you watching. Works for me.