Catching a bad low before it happens

I’m one who doesn’t have a GCM. My insurance won’t cover one, and I can’t afford one. Luckily, I’m not hypo-unaware so I can usually tell when I’m dropping.

Tonight is one of those nights. I accidentally stacked my Novolog, and took too much for what I could eat. So an hour after my injection I downed a soda and some smarties because I could just tell I’m going down. I’m almost at the two hour mark after my shot, still feeling crappy but I’m waiting it out.

Even if I don’t hit a low, but my body is wanting to go there, it just sucks. If I feel a hypo coming even if I’m at 150, I’ll correct it just to be safe (this is knowing that I still have a lot of insulin on board, and that I’m still not at my peak). If I end up too high later, I usually just correct a small amount.

It sucks that we have to be so in tune with every little thing our body tells us, 24/7. It’s just one of those days where I hate it. Sometimes lows for me are worse than highs. A lot of people say they are short lived but I find difficulty a lot of the time because I just seem to be hypo-sensitive I guess. Changing clothes can drop me some days; it makes no sense. Some days I can correct a high very easily, and not have it stay high for long. Whereas lows, I will fight back to back and be literally sick from having to consume so much sugar; stomach issues are no fun on top of lows!

I know I’m not alone, but boy, can the anxiety revolving around highs and lows make me feel that way sometimes. I have a good friend whom I talk to a lot who is a Type 1 and she is my savior for when I need reassurance that I’m not alone. I also hop on here, which is why I’m here now. If I don’t talk about it, and just sit and think too much, it makes the lows much worse. I always try to correct, sit back and relax, and wait without thinking.

Thanks for letting me vent and I hope that this can help someone having troubles too. I’ve been a T1D for five years now, and I know this isn’t the worst of it but I’m at least glad I have resources to help me out!

1 Like

Glad to have you, Daisy. Your in the better pool if you can feel the ups and downs. The water is much colder in the other pool.

1 Like

My daughter has been T1D for 5 years as well! And it is a disease that you never get a break from and have to be always on… its gets tiring doesn’t it? I’m glad you are hypo aware, but it still can be scary and just down right annoying. I find that my daughter always seems to be low when I’ve had a long day and just want to go to sleep… I check her and she’ll be low. And of course that means I have to stay awake!

It is good to have other people that understand, that’s why we are here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely! I am very thankful that I am! There was a little point in time where I was having a lot of lows, which caused me to not feel them until later, but luckily I was able to get out of that. I’m crossing my fingers I never become hypo-unaware, that is scary stuff for sure!!

It does get tiring! And I hear you! I always fall low when I’m tired and just want to go to sleep. I end up having to stay up far later than I ever wanted to! I’m glad your daughter has a great mother to look after her. You’re a strong person for being able to do it all! :blush: