Celebs with diabetes

Hey all,

Recently I’ve been coming into contact and media sources that are always talking about Nick Jonas and his diabetes. I feel that he’s using his band’s fame to get the message out about the disease, but at the same time, I feel like people treat Nick Jonas as if he is the only person within the sphere of influence that is diabetic.

For starters, I HATE the Jonas Brothers. They aren’t talented. At all. So…I thought I’d post some talented individuals that I respect that are/were also diabetic.

Neil Young
Jerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead
Thomas Edison
Ken Kesey (“One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Sometimes A Great Notion”)
Hemingway
Syd Barret from Pink Floyd
David Crosby from Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Ghostface Killa from Wu-Tang Clan
B.B. King

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the Jonas Brothers’ fame is a great way to educate those about diabetes. But I hate that a less-than-talented band from the Disney Corporation uses their fame as a platform when their fans should have been educated on diabetes in the first place.

Liz

Halle Berry,
Bret Michaels

As for the jonas brothers I dont really like then either but you got to admit they are doing something right to sell that many albums. And before Nick there was really no one with type1 that people knew, so I dont mind that it’s him. Lots of little kids want to be pop stars so it’s great they have some one in their age group to look up to…in my opinion.

Yes… I understand, completely. I am glad that I’m not the only Liz who hates the Jonas Brothers. lol I mean, I don’t hate em as people… I don’t know them… I respect what Nick does to get the word out, and whatnot… But I don’t like being represented by a little boy band tween kid. Just know lots of people WORSHIP the kid, and will prolly get mad in here. heh :slight_smile: Some things, unfortunately, are the way they are… Maybe Chrystal Bowersox will get very famous and be a more visible voice. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I sort of agree with that. :slight_smile:

I’m not the target audience for the Jonas Brothers either, but I think one of the positives is that it challenges the stereotype of what a diabetic is. I’d rather be represented by a healthy young kid like Nick Jonas than some of the other people on the list (Hemmingway killed himself, Syd Barret had severe psychological problems, Jerry Garcia died at 53 and David Crosby needed a liver transplant. Of course, none of those things have to do with diabetes, but if good PR is the goal, they might not be the best spokespeople, whether it be deserved or not.)

Y’know, I don’t really understand why 99% of celebrities are celebrities either. But as Grandpa simpson once said: I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me.

For me, the cool celebrity with diabetes will always be Mary Tyler Moore. Can you tell I was diagnosed with T1, a good chunk of a century ago? In any event, she ALWAYS GOT “IT”, and she STILL DOES.